Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-05          8559

I am more than a little confused. I have a JD4100 with a 410 loader. I have been reading the JD manuals trying to determine how much rear ballast I need to operate the loader safely. While the manuals refer to how much ballast I need in addition to liquid filled rear tires and/or rear wheel weights, they never say how much the liquid filled tires and rear wheel weights weigh. I do not want to carry around extra weight while mowing my lawn. The tractor tears the lawn up without any extra weight (another issue). I just want to be able to hook up a 3 pt. hitch with the proper weight and use the loader. My best guess is that 900 lbs. for a rear ballast would be about right. What do you think??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-10-05          8565

The loader manual specifies either three rear weights per rear wheel (60 pounds each for a total of 360 pounds) or liquid in the rear tires (weighs approximately the same) plus ballast on the 3 point hitch of at least 750 pounds. Your guess of approximately 900 pounds only on the hitch seems reasonable. I found that the rear wheel weights greatly improved the ride and stability when mowing hilly areas. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

1999-10-07          8619

Larry; I have a JD 755 the predecssor of the 4100. Approximately the same size. I made a counter weight of about 900-1000 lbs. out of cement for the 3pth. easy to take off for mowing. I don't have any weight in the tires. I've heard putting on and taking off wheel weights are knuckle busters. If you need any more info. just e-mail me. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Larry

1999-10-09          8654

I ended up taking the easy way out. I bought the JD ballast box and filled it with garden dirt. I also bought the bucket level indicator. $215 later (for both units) the JD dealer was happy and I have a ballast box that is easy to use. I'm not certain what the ballast box weighs but it is enough to allow me to fully fill the 60" bucket with wet soil and not feel tippy. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-11          8683

Larry,Look in the loader manual, you will see a weight chart for the JD ballast box filled with various materials near the end of the book. If you cannot find them, e-mail me for a listing. I think the box itself weights 87lbs, then filled with fine sand, you will be at about 580-650lbs or so. I've been using my 4100 w/410 loader for dirt/mulch, using (2) 60lbs wheel weights & ballast box filled w/sand. I didn't feel as if I was front heavy or that I needed additional weights. The wheels weights are kind of a pain to install/remove, but I personally like them on all the time anyway. Mostly because of the various slopes in our yard, and I don't notice a difference in turf damage. Actually damage seems less, because there will be times when I am trimming around a tree on a slope, and my inside wheel will spin slightly.In your case, and mine had I the chance to re-do things, I would opt for making a cement ballast box as one other reader also noted. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Larry

1999-10-11          8692

Thanks for the replies. I think the ballast situation that I have will probably work for me. My original point was (and I probably should have been more specific) why doesn't JD tell how much the wheel weights and tire fluids weigh???? How are you supposed to calculate something when you don't have a starting point? How much a wheel weight weighs is not common knowledge and should be provided in a users manual! ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-12          8708

Larry,I completely understand your gripe, Unfortunately, JD is specifying for the use of EITHER 6 (JD)wheel weights 'OR' 75% liquid filled tires. PLUS the JD ballast box containing a minimum of X.XX lbs inside, potentially using one of the various materials mentioned. JD most likely DOES NOT approve of putting 100% of the required ballast in a 3pt mounted box, and therefore isn't going to give you the recipe to do otherwise. And for a good reason.. of which I had the unfortunate experience of learning first hand, the first day I owned my 4100. Wheel weights not only increase the rear weight ballasting, but much more importantly add stability to the tractor. A ballast box on the other hand can decrease your stability, if positioned improperly (too High). As I quickly found out one day. Doesn't mean your idea won't work.. JDs just not going to put it in writing. Also from another legal stantpoint, JD would be foolish to indicate the total ballasting/weight req's. A lawyer would be very quick to say "but right here, your manual states........". Not giving you those details keeps that door closed, by specifically requiring one of two "stability" requirements.No different than a coffee cup stating "HOT" all over the cup....DUH, thats a new one!...But McDonalds can tell you, Stupidity pays off..In the Millions..In answer to your question.. Wheels weights(Qty 6) @ 60lbs each= 360lbs. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Scott

1999-10-13          8754

Interesting point about recommending the total weight not appear on the 3pth, especially with the weight raised to max height. I run about 500 lbs. ballast on my 4100, all on the hitch, but I keep it all the way up because I usually keep the mower deck on. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this? I figured that the weight of the deck so, especially so low on the machine, would lower the center of gravity and make it more stable. I'm just careful not to drive over any material that might damage the deck. It's not been too much a bother so far, but I'd like to hear comments about the practice. Thanks.Scott ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Larry

1999-10-13          8757

Sad but probably true. Even sadder is that I can think of the argument on the opposite side ("So it is true that you did not provide my client with the necessary safety information to protect himself from injury"). Just give me the necessary information that allows me to decide what I want to do. Gold diggers and scam artists will always be there to get a free ride. Deal with them as they happen but give the customer what they need to make intelligent decisions. I'll put the soap box away now. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-10-14          8779

Scott,JD makes a kit that will keep your mower deck raised, regardless of 3pt position. Using the ballast box fully raised is probably fine for flat surfaces. Anything else, you may be asking for trouble, as I almost found out one day. Secondly, the way in which your 3pt operates can act somewhat like a see saw at a children's playground. 100lbs 1' from the fulcrum/pivot point places most of the weight on the pivot point and less on the opposite side(Loader). However, That same 100lbs 3' from the fulcrum will place much more weight to the opposite side(loader). Positioned correctly, that same 500lbs could lift the front of your tractor. Obviously,thats not something you would do, but law of physics proves it. The see saw example is also an exaggerated example but what I'm trying to get at is: keeping the ballast box low not only keeps your center of gravity lower, but you are essentially placing the weight further from the unit, thus placing more force on the opposite side.I really need to get off the soap box. ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Scott

1999-10-14          8795

Thanks for the reply, MLS. I was unaware that there's an accesssory that will keep the mower deck up regardless of the 3pth. I'll look into that. I know that the higher the ballast weight, the less effective in counterbalancing the loader, but so far, so good. I'm trying to be exceptionally cautious because I'm currently using it on a hill, so I'm sure to run up and down, not across. So far I'm very pleased with the 4100, my first tractor, with the exception of the front tires rubbing the hydraulics, which I've mentioned in another post.Scott ....

JD4100 ballast

View my Photos
Steve

1999-11-24          10344

My local dealer told me that there is no option that will keep the hitch in the up position. As far as ballast is concerned. I used the money for the ballast box to go towards a rear blade and 6 front wieghts. I attach the blade and hang the weights on the blade frame when using the front loader. I get the use of the blade, the ballast and improved blade cutting depth for the same money. I needed the weights to keep the front end stable while using the 5' rotary cutter that I also have. The machine handles all of the above with ease. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login