Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 transmission recalibrate

View my Photos
CraigC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-24          84134

My 4310 is about a week late now (ordered Feb.22), it was supposed to be here last weekend but was pulled off the truck. I asked the dealer what the problem was and He contacted Deere and they said they were having some problem with the transmission, they would recalibrate it and I would have it in a week from now. Has anybody heard of recalibrating and what does it mean, are they giving me a line of sh*#? Don't like to hear about transmission trouble coming from my new machine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-24          84138

I won't touch this one. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-24          84140

Never heard of recalibrating one, but there was a safety related recall that affected some machines. Perhaps the serial number of yours fell in that range. My 4310 was not affected so I'm not sure what the problem was. ....

View my Photos
headhog

2004-04-24          84141

CraigC,
which type of transmission did you order on your 4310?
i just took delivery of a new 4310 mfwd ehydro about a month
ago,haven't had any real problem with it so far. just during the first few hours when engaging the forward pedal
the transmission wouldn't respond to move forward.it only
happen a few times,i now have just over 20 hours on it and
it hasn't happen again.
headhog ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84143

The recall affected less than 1400 4310 tractors with HST, serial numbers LV4310H232267 through LV4310H233638

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-24          84144

I guess I should have said it is an ehydro. I complained to the dealer about waiting so long and not having a mower to use, sold mine just before I ordered this one, so He did bring me a 757 zero turn demo, sure works nice but I can't have everything. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-24          84145

Hey Art, could it be something like what Kubota and NH are having with their hydros? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-24          84146

Rather than try to regurgitate the entire procedure here. If you have a shop manual look on pg. 312. It calls for the calibration of the drive train electronic opertation system to match components if any of the following are replaced:

a. proportional valve
b. proportional valve solenoid
c. drive controller
d. complete hydrostatic transmission

It is hard to tell what your dealer may have replaced but my guess would be that he either recieved a 4310 subject to the transmission recall and may have replaced a. and/or b. Or he may have recieved the machine with a faulty controller and replaced it. The controller is a pretty quick fix and would not take that long so I would be more inclined to go with the first guess of transmission recall.

Contact the dealer and ask him what he replaced that required the drive system calibration. The subjective part is whether you want a new tractor that may already have been torn apart? My instinct tells me that I would insist on another new tractor. In my opinion if a machine has had major repair dissassembly; it is NO LONGER a new machine but that is just my opinion. Another option might be to instist on a free extended warranty.

From reading your post, I am not sure if the dealer is doing the work or the factory. It sounds as if the factory is doing this work? In any case; I sure can understand your concerns. The factory guys more than likely wanted to make a repair/recall before it left the factory. Understandably so. I would be concerned too. Somebody needs to come clean and brief you on EXCACTLY what was the problem with your 4310 and what EXACTLY was done to it to repair it. Good luck and hope all works out to your full satisfaction. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-24          84148

Chief, it never left the factory. Quite honestly I don't know if what they are saying is even true, makes you wonder if they dropped it off the truck or what happened. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84149

Dang, I should spend more time reading the shop manual! Good answer Randy. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-24          84150

Your dealer should be able to give you a full run down on what the story is. Insist on it. I apologize for not explaining what the calibration is but in short it is the actuation and communication of the forward & reverse pedal potentiometers, throttle postion potentiometer, and other sensors such as the fly wheel speed sensor amongst some others such as the proportional coil and all must be able to communticate in with the drive controller in unison. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-24          84151

Thanks Ken, I have my good AND bad moments. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-24          84153

I saw this post earlier but was on the way out the door to take some trash to the dump and VERY reluctantly left it until I got back.

Craig, I would suggest that you not let my post color or flavor you opinion or view of the dealer and what is going on. As I said earlier, the dealer if he is straight up with you and on his game should and will give you a FULL run down on what was done to your tractor and what you can expect. This could be a plus for you in that if you throw out some of your best McBeth (i.e. "the lady doth protest too much!") You might be able to get a free extended warranty out of it. (don't count on it) In my view, that would be very fair and reasonable to keep a customer from walking on a new sales unit. I am not there and you are the point man so you will just have to feel the situation out. Just remember to BE NICE and keep your cool; be patient but firm. The more good will between you and the dealer the better. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-24          84158

Good advice Chief, this morning I was cutting my grass for the first time this year (had to wait for the dealer to bring me a demo), I got my old Lawnboy out (I use this for triming and in the dog run only) and it needed the recoil fixed on it among many other things. My Dad give me this thing 6 years ago and it was plenty used at that time, so anyways I told the wife I was tired of messing with it and was going out to buy a new one. I went to a John Deere dealer that sells Lawnboys (not the dealer I orderd my tractor from), the guy is behind the counter (at least 20 feet away) yelling to me and not being much help. I told him I need a new Lawnboy no self propel or elecric start, He yells all I got is that Snapper over there (as He is pointing) so I got red and left, on the way out the door I yell "thanks for the help". I went to another dealer who did not have anything is stock either but was very helpfull, I ordered my new mower and left there very happy, don't understand how people operate this way. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84163

I don't mean to make light of your situation, Craig, but if it was new and had a recall fix applied would it then be better than new? :) ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-24          84165

That's all right Ken what can I do but laugh? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-24          84167

Atta boy, Craig. I think you're in a good position to call the shots. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-25          84245

Craig - do your self a favor & demand your money back now! Go buy a Kubota. If there giving you excuses now....what does the future hold?? Take it from me. Go read 790 bucket dropping. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-25          84253

Grass, I still think your dealer let you down. They shouldn't have allowed you to walk away disgruntled, even if it cost them money. They should have fixed it at their expense, then battled it out with Deere. The dealer makes the difference. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-25          84272

Craig, upon further thought; I would think that since this work is being done at the factory, they have the resources to complete this work and any cosmetics with new parts and OEM materials and as such, had the dealer not mentioned anything other than a delivery delay, you may not have noticed anything and be completely satisfied. There is nothing that I would think to stop them from having done this on other unsold units in the past. When you stop to think about it; I think it is the best possible scenario that Deere gets it right at the factory and NOT after being delivered. Hang in there and keep cool! ;o) (I know........that's easy enough for me to say.............I'm not the one waiting for my pride and joy to arrive not knowing exactly what has been done to it) Still insist that your deal FULLY explain to you EXACTLY what has been done to it. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-25          84276

i agree Ken. I spoke to a dealer yesterday that sells both kubota & deere. When he heard my story he said the same thing. He knows mills well & siad he would not have taken no for an answer. he also siad he doesnt blame me for being disgrunted with deere. looks like i will be trading for a kubota 3430. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-26          84348

Grass, you said your machine had it's problems from new, just wondered why you let it go on for 600+ hours? Not trying to offend you just wondered if you had insited on some resolve the first time it happened if you would have gotten further. ....

View my Photos
headhog

2004-04-26          84351

has anybody heard if someone has had their 4310 updated?
(recalibrated) and if so whats entail and how long does it
take.
headhog ....

View my Photos
headhog

2004-04-26          84360

nobody likes "recall issues" but if the manufacter knows of a problem or problems it's best corrected at the factory
level first before shipping product to the dealerships and
letting the dealers correct a manufacturer error.some companys would just go a head and ship.i'll give high marks to
any manufacture that will handle issues "in house" before
letting a customer buy their product knowning it'll have a
recall. some will ship products just so the numbers look good on paper and unit sales are up! ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-26          84377

Craig, i brought in to my dealer the first time the laoder fell off with only 80 - 90 hrs on it. They assured me it was adjusted properly wouldnt happen again. It happened about 3 months after that & it went back again.This pattern reoccurred 6 times total when my dealer finally called deere & said it was a defective laoder. Thats when the big meeting took place. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-04-26          84379

I think I would be equally mad at the dealer as your are Deere, sounds like they tried to put a patch on somthing instead of replacing what ever needed to be. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-26          84380

Craig, I think you said more than a mouthful and you didn't even know you had a chew.

I've read it time after time that they won't fix this and they won't fix that under warranty. I'm talking all makes of tractors here.

You're dealer can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

I'd say 95% of warranty issues are left up to the dealer's discretion. I really think that percent is a modest one.

View my Photos
Art White

2004-04-26          84419

- Billy did I miss something on the Kubota's? ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-26          84427

billy - could you repeat the last paragraph, i am not able to read the rest because of my account limitations. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-26          84428

also billy - even though my (former)dealer acted as though they did everything they can, We have decided not to do any more business with them. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-26          84430

Art, from what I hear, alot of BX owners are having problems with the HSTs not stopping when they let off the peddle. The problem seems to be a cradle bearing but it's major surgery changing it. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-26          84431

grasgod, last paragraph,

I'd say 95% of warranty issues are left up to the dealer's discretion. I really think that percent is a modest one. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-27          84447

Which BX & what year? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-27          84460

The best I can remember it is all the BXs. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-27          84461

Billy and Art..... my BX had the "creeps" and a parking brake that wouldn't hold.

I acquired a pedal adjustment procedure that I sent to a couple other BX owners on the board who had the same problem. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-04-27          84496

Mark, this is something different. It involves replacing two cradle bearings (at $42 a piece) but you have to tear the hydro down to get to them. ....

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-04-27          84546

Last fall I called the JD dealer and told them I thought my
4310 ehydro had a delay going from reverse to forward,they
picked it up and changed the flywheel and driveshaft sensors,trans works better than ever now... ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-28          84626

I am still studying the behavior of my JD4310 hydro pedal function. This weekend I had the reverse pedal fully depressed and nothing happened. I held it there for a few seconds and no lights were flashing. I didn't touch 2 pedals at once. On second try it worked. Like headhog says, this always seems to happen at low RPMs. I rarely really have my tractor revved up. I will not go to the dealer until I can replicate this or I can video it in action so I don't get the runaround. But I would like this fixed before my warranty expires next March. This doesn't happen often enough to be a real nuisance.

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-04-28          84631

Search for the article with subject "4310 EHYDRO ISSUE" to see resolution of similar problems with ehydro. This also covers some of the problems on recalibration....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-05-06          85375

Went and visit my tractor today, dealer is bringing it out saterday afternoon. The story I got on the transmission was Deere made two days worth of bad shifter forks and they had to replace it at the factory. Don't know if the story is true or not but do feel a whole lot better after seeing the tractor and talking with the dealer. Did catch a couple of things that were not part of the deal though, He said He would trade the Deere blade for Gator blades witch was not done yet and it had a standard grade bucket on it, I ordered a heavy duty. When I called these things to His attension He did show me the Bucket I am getting and promised the Gator blades would be on by saterday. Seems like honest mistakes but you do have to watch out for yourself. ....

View my Photos
douges

2004-05-11          85806

My 4310 has the 9 speed sync shift tran. Sometimes when I shift from a forward gear to reverse or vice versa the transmission doesn't shift, and I stay in the gear I tried to shift from. The dealer adjusted the clutch and lubricated the linkage. Happens at least once each time I mow, particularly when I am maneuvering around obstacles. Is there a recalibration procedure that can be done? or is that only for Hydro models? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-11          85811

There is no recalibration for the syncshift. In fact the manual documents no diagnostics whatsoever for the syncshift and the only in-machine adjustment is for the clutch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login