Go Bottom Go Bottom

Recommendation on a Box Scraper for a JD 4310

View my Photos
Oly_Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-21          80613

It seems that the best box scraper is one that is heavy with a replaceable scraping blade and has some method of releasing the tines that churn up the soil. Anyone with a recommendation and/or more things to consider? I guess tilt and tip are also helpful.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-21          80621

I use a Frontier BB1172 72" box scraper with my 4310 and couldn't be happier with it. Well built, replaceable cutting edge, and the scarifiers can be easily adjusted for depth or removed. Top-and-tilt makes it much more productive, and I can't imagine using the scraper without it. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark

2004-03-22          80717

Thanks Ken for your help. Do you have manual or hydralic adjustable scarifiers. Is that the best size? I was thinking 60" would be better, but I don't really know what is best. I want to level my front three acres. I have tilled it up now I need to do something to smooth it out a bit. I am a little concerned about durability of some of the JD products after my experience with the JD 4 in 1 bucket.

I spent a lot of time on the JD site and I am having a heck of a time getting info on Frontier products, or any specs on implements for the 4310. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-22          80723

I have manual scarifiers which are just fine. Hydraulic ones are a lot more money. If you invest instead in Top-N-Tilt, or at least a hydraulic top link, you can tilt the scraper which gives you some control over the scarifier depth AND the hydraulics are useful on other implements too. You want the box scraper to be a little wider than your rear treadwidth.

I agree it's a little difficult to find online information for Frontier, but your dealer should have brochures. Here's a link I found for it. The main reasons I went with Frontier were iMatch compatibility and it was negotiated into the price of the package, but Land Pride and Woods and other brands are good too. ....

Link:   Frontier BB1172

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80732

Ken, what do you consider a LOT more money?

The hyd. scarifiers were only $150 more than manual on my Rhino, maybe it differs by manufacturer.

Hydraulic scarifiers are, IMHO, like a hyd. toplink, you don't realize how handy they are until you have them, then you wonder why you ever got on and off the machine so much before.

In some (most?) cases the scarifier mechanism is easily changed over to hydraulic. I suppose the manufacturers want to make as few 'unique' parts as possible so as to keep costs down.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-22          80746

The number I heard was something like a $500 premium for hydraulic scarifiers. If they're only $150 it's a good deal, but you'd need three rear outlet sets for TnT and the hydraulic scarifiers and that needs to be figured in. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-23          80806

Hey Ken do you have the standard duty or the heavy? When I was pricing tractors I asked one dealer for a price on a Frontier 72" box scraper, He quoted me $758.00 but I didn't learn till later there were two models. Looking at my quote now it says BB1072, I assume this would be the lighter one since that dealer also tried telling me a heavy duty bucket wasn't worth buying. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-23          80826

I've got the BB1172 which they call medium duty, but it looks pretty heavy duty to me. It's the one in the link I posted above. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark

2004-03-23          80883

I got a quote on the box scraper with hydraulic scanfiers for a five foot Rankin (?) box scraper $1100. I have the hydraulics for the toplink stuff. I think I have the same setup as you do, Ken. It is amazing how this process works. I was told the better choice is Frontier. Then I get a quote on a five foot Rankin. Ken, did they tell you that you should get a six foot box scraper. My tractor is down at Fisher, so I can't even look so see what size I should get for a JD 4310.
Hey, Murf how do you like the Rhino. Anybody have a Land Pride box scraper with hydraulic scanifers. Seems weight is durability if you are buying a known brand.

Ken, and others-I sure appreciate the pictures. Half the time I wondering what stuff looks like on a tractor. I'll post some pictures when I get my machine back. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-23          80884

I wanted the widest box scraper that JD would support on the 4310, and that was the 6 footer. I'm glad I went that way since my new R1s on their widest setting are mighty close to 6 feet wide.

Anyway, if you specified Hydraulic scarifiers then that's probably why they quoted you on the Rankin, but I'm not sure why they went with a five footer. I don't think Frontier sells a box scraper with hydraulic scarifiers. ....

View my Photos
Oly_Mark

2004-03-23          80905

You are right Ken, the Rankin makes a number of hydraulic scanifiers. Acutally they have an impressive number of choices of box scrapers.

Has anybody purchased and used Rankin implements. Are they durable? How do they compare to Land Pride or Woods? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-23          80906

I had some experience with Rankin, the company, that wasn't very satisfying. They sold me a set of 3ph pallet forks and charged me extra to make them I-match compatible. When they arrived they were well built, but they didn't even come close to working with I-match. It turns out they never even tried to hook them up to an I-match hitch. When this snafu was discovered they wouldn't return calls or make it right. Fortunately the dealer did but that sort of left a sour taste in my mouth for Rankin. But like I said, the forks were well built. ....

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-03-27          81355

I bought a 6'King Cutter box scraper from Theisen's farm
store for less than $400. It works great,has
replaceable cutters.I have snagged it on stumps,concrete and have not hurt it yet.I also have tilt&top and wouldn't
be without it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login