Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
idbiker93
Posts: 5 Garden Valley, Idaho, in the mountains north of Boise
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-17          80204

Gentlemen,
Am new to the site and new to tractors. Will take delivery of a 2210 with various attachments on Friday or Sat this week.

When I reached agreement with the dealer, one of the items I added to the purchase was the installation of an engine temperature gauge. As my significant other (wife of 22 years) often implies that I may be an idiot, I really do not think a diesel engine should be worked hard while relying on an idiot temp light.

Just returned from the dealer where I was told that a temp gauge can not be added to the 2210. No specific reason yet as the tractor "expert" was not there today.

Can anyone provide insight/info on the topic? Does JD or aftermarket make a temp gauge accessary kit?

Seems I've seen something posted on this before but can't find it.

Thanks!
John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-17          80208

Kubota BX's have a temp gauge and no tach.

Deer's 2210 has a tach and no temp gauge.

Go figure.

Is the a place on the engine block to attach a sending unit?

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-18          80233

I've looked into this issue and found that you can replace the idiot light sensor with a temp gauge sensor easy enough. Just buy a temp gauge kit. BUT..what I want to do is retain the idiot light. To do that simply requires a "T" with recepticals for both sensor bulbs.

I haven't followed up on that part yet. I need to take the existing bulb fitting to an auto parts place and find the correct fittings to accomplish this. Shucks Auto sez they can do this.

I changed my thermostat from a 160 to a 190 for added heat to the cab heater so feel the engine temp should be monitored a little more closely in the summer, though my boat diesel engine runs a 190 and stays around 180 during high cruise settings. I believe the idiot light on the tractor is set to light at around 200 or so. The light would at least be an immediate visual attraction to a problem where as the gauge might not be, hence..have both.

On the boat I installed a high temp/low oil pressure audible warning system to augment the gauge only panel. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-18          80234

Mark..you're right..go figure. What's another $30 or so to add a gauge with the idiot light?? 'Course gauges take up more panel space, which inspired the idiot light..and most people dunno what a gauge is telling them anyway..duh. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-18          80257

I have a vague recollection that some consoles on new tractors are weatherproof. If not and the tractor doesn't have a cab there might be some difficulty finding a surface mounted all-weather gauge. The alternative would be to get a tractor style gauge and sender and use a big hole saw to cut a hole in the console. I'd keep in mind that not every gauge works with every sender. I also seem to recall that some gauges on JD's I think had serious fogging problems. Between weather and fogging I don't think an auto box-store gauge would be too good. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
idbiker93

2004-03-18          80281

Wildman,
Thanks.
If you investigate more, how about posting what you find out. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-18          80318

Tom..good point. A marine gauge would probably work. Stewart Warner has marine gauges that are waterproof versions of their auto gauges. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-19          80376

Good comment too. Don't know why I didn't think marine since we're surrounded by 'marine' during the summer. Well, my version of it does run more to bush and canoes. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
busguy

2004-03-19          80378

I installed a water temp gauge on my 2210. I removed the plug in the thermostat housing above the alternator, drilled it and pipe tapped it. I use both senders.

Also, the reason for the 160° thermostat is due to a situation on these IDI engines when they are started and run at or near full engine load prior to the thermostat opening and allowing coolant flow through the head you can get hot spots in the pre-chambers causing cracks. So the engine manufacturers lowered the t-stat to 160 so the engine gets to temp faster and coolant flow is allowed. This is more common on stand by generators or reefer units that go to full load almost immediately after start up. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
idbiker93

2004-03-19          80387

busguy,
Thanks! Will check the water temp solution out. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-21          80541

Busguy..that's good to know. I rarely run my 2210 at anywhere near full power and always let it warm for 5 minutes or so prior to engaging in heavy work. I normally run the blower or do loader work around 2000-2500rpm. I know you can get spike temps over the working thermostat specs in the +10f range just before the 'stat opens, then it settles down. My boat diesel does that. Now I'm thinking about putting the 160f in for summer. I can tell you that the 160 sucks for delivering adequate heat for the cab heater...almost none.

Deere offers optional 190's for many of their engines but not for the 2210. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-21          80542

Busguy..one other question. Where did you mount the temp gauge and what make/model was it? Any chance of posting a pic of it?

Also, it occurred to me that using cetane booster could have a positive effect in reducing hot spots. Any thoughts? ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
busguy

2004-03-21          80669

Wildman1,

It is a good idea to let these IDI's warm up prior to leaning on them like you said. It was -25° several mornings here this past winter and the heat is about non-existent. It starts to work when the ambient gets around 20° and higher. I will be installing a higher temt t-stat next winter for sure. one Deere dealer at the farm show claims they are replacing these heaters with electric ones.(not sure if I like that idea)
As far as useing cetane booster I think it will help but when we dyno these small diesels in our lab we use pump fuel because we need to run them in a real world environment.

trying to find a location for the temp gauge was a stressful weekend. didn't want to blow a 2" hole in a new tractor. The dash panel has structural webbing under it leaving no place to drill so I decided to put it on the dummy panel to the left of the parking brake handle. so I drilled it and installed an analog gauge that I FOUND at work. but I couldn't read it because the needle was recessed and not visible from the seat. I ordered a digital gauge and it's clearly visible from the seat. I hosed out the cab a couple of times this winter and the gauge seems to stay dry so I'm hoping it will be ok. but for $36 I'll just order a new one if it craps out.. I will post some pics later this week. ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-03-21          80671

Busboy..thanks for the update. I think I'll look at an overhead mount on the cab roof.

What heaters are the Deere folks referring too? I don't know where you'd get enough amps to run an effective electric heater, though Curtis offers electric ones. My 5 worklights, along with the heater motor, windshield wiper and flashers, use most of the alternator's output. My Curtis coolant heater works great...with a 190T.

Look forward to seeing your installation.

Mike ....

JD 2210 Temp Gauge

View my Photos
millers1

2004-07-21          91533

Glad to see this posted. I plan on doing this mod too. I'm OK with the idiot lights but you'll notice that on the 2210, the temp light does NOT self test when you first turn on the key. All of the other lights do.. but the temp doesn't. After reading the manual.. that is how it was designed. Go figure?! Imagine overheating the engine all because a .75c bulb wasn't working.... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login