Go Bottom Go Bottom

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-08          79227

LOOKING FOR SOME SOLID OPINIONS. I JUST ORDERED A 4100 HST
W/A 410 61" LOADER AND A 48" BOX SCRAPER A MID MOUNT 60 " MOWER DECK AND I MATCH QUICK HITCH AND A REAR WORK LIGHT I ALSO ORDERD IT WITH R3 TURF TIRES FOR A WIDER STANCE. I HAVE A 22 DEGREE HILL IN THE FRONT YARD. WITH MY JD 445 I CAN MOW FROM SIDE TO SIDE. DO YOU THINK I CAN DO THE SAME WITH THE 4110 W R3 TIRES OR WILL I HAVE TO GO UP AND DOWN?
I THINK I GOT A GREAT DEAL BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK? WITH ALL THE ATTACHMENTS THIS TRACTOR COST ME $ 17550.OO LESS $ 6000.00
TRADE FOR MY 2001 445 GARDEN TRACTOR THIS IS MY 1ST COMPACT TRACTOR I HOPE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-08          79228

The 61" bucket is for snow and lightweight materials.
If you are going to "do dirt" I would back the bucket size down to the 53" version. The 61 inch bucket will scoop up 1100 pounds of wet soil if you are not careful and will put you on your nose.
See my Pic #2 for a demonstration of tractor (im)balance.

I think you will be ok on the slope with some rear wheel weights. Don't buy Deere's, they are WAY too much money.

You are buying one of the most reliable tractors on the market. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-08          79229

IDONT THINK I WILL USE THE LOADER WITHOUT THE BOX SCRAPER OR THE BALLAST BOX ATTACHED. THAT IS WHY MY DEALER RECOMMENDED THE 61" 410 LOADER HE TOLD ME TO FILL THA BALLAST BOX WITH CONCRETE TO EQUAL THE WEIGHT. DO YOU THINK THAT WILL WORK I AM A NOVICE AT THIS! ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-08          79231

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT I JUST CALLED THE DEALER AND CHANGED THE ORDER TO A 53" BUCKET! ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-08          79242

I am moving wet soil as we speak (taking a break). My 53 inch bucket, when filled, puts a bulge in my front turf tires and makes it clear that it is a LOAD.

For serious loader work on my 4100 (same critter as your 4110) I carried 1000-1100 pounds of ballast between the wheel weights and the three point hitch. The manual recommends even more than that. That machine had a 49" bucket.

The message in the picture is that the rear end is VERY light and take the ballast numbers seriously. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-09          79298

Who's wheel weight do you recommend , how heavy and how much should i spend" ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-09          79304

ROBOHA, I would think 22 degrees is a bit much if not right at or over the slope handling limits of the 4100; especially with the FEL installed (the added weight of the FEL higher up on the frame raises the CG). I would suggest you try mowing the hill without the FEL installed and gradually attempt more and more of the slope until you can safely cut parrallel on the slope. My experience and SOPSM tells me that is too much slope to mow on parrallel to the slope but you will have to try and see. I cut perpendicular on steep slopes with my 4410 and the most slope I think it can safely handle with the FEL installed and MMM is about 12 to 14 degrees. The SOPSM is pinging at this much slope. Maybe I am just a sissy but it is easy to roll these tractors with R-3 tires installed due to such a narrow wheel width.

EZ Weights has a good solution to reasonably priced wheel weights.

Sounds like you are ordering a new tractor so it would be a 4110 HST. Figure best case price is 25% off MSRP (very unlikely) to about a more expected 15% - 20% off MSRP. The trade is rarely a good deal, best to sell out right.

You may want to consider negotiating in an engine block heater, front and rear work lights or any other accessories you may want installed by the dealer now as they can haggle on the price vs. you paying full MSRP list at the parts counter later.

Good luck! Sounds like a nice set up. ....

Link:   EZ Weights LLC

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-09          79309

Deere recommends up to 180# per wheel, 360 total on the 4110. I have 150/300 which consists of 2 50# plates in back of two 25# plates on each side.

I can use 50's right next to the lug bolts due to my 16.5 inch rims. Your turfs may come with 15" rims. You may have to put a couple of 25's on first to provide clearance for the larger weights. You may find different manufacturers in your region with different dimensioned plates.

Garage sales are the best and cheapest place.... stick to 25# or larger plates. Next best are the used sporting goods stores where used plates are generally sold for about 35 cents a pound. Main-line sporting goods stores will run sales on new plates at 50 cents a pound. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-09          79372

Sorry for posting so late...I hope I'm not too late to talk you into a wider boxblade. The 48" boxblade will not cover the rear track of your 4110. I have a 60" for my 4110, and would have purchased a 54" if it would have been readily available. The 4110 will handle most work with the 60" boxblade, but it will stop it in its tracks if you take too big of a bite. The 54" is perfect as it covers the 52-53" width of the rear tires. Ditto on the ballast comments above. You can also buy plent of cheap used suitcase weights from a tractor boneyard and get the weight of a 54/60" rear box blade above 1,000 pounds. I would mow that hill up and down. The increased mass of your new tractor will make it prone to rear-end slide in even the slightest damp/wet grass condition. Take no chances with hill safety! ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-10          79426

it is too late to change the 48" box scraper! however the dealer did tell me that the tractor is wider but he also told me the larger box will would bog down the 4110 thats why i choosen the 48" box scraper. it sound like based on some of the responce the 4110 was a good choice i am getting excited waiting for my new toy! ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-10          79428

i do have another question. can you dig up large rocks with the fel on a 4110 with the proper ballast or is it just to move around top soil and mulch! ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-10          79430

You can dig up large rocks within reason and limits of the machine. I have dug out rocks the size of a kiddie pool but you need to be very careful when rolling the bucket back to flip the rocks out of the ground as you can bend or warp the bucket if you pry with the middle edge of the bucket. I try to use as close to the corner edges as possible. Once the rock is broken loose, it is a matter of weight and ballast as well as judging the weight of the rock. You can always push it but if you have problems lifting it, it probably won' be easy to push either. Just take it slow and easy and watch what you are doing and you should be fine. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-10          79433

Think of the FEL on any compact tractor as sort cross between a wheelbarrow and a large snow shovel.

It is meant to scrape, scoop, hold and transport a variety of materials.

If you put your foot on the back of your snow shovel and try to use it as a spade, it will bend. And so it is with your FEL.. it will carry your big rocks if they will fit in the bucket, but it will not pry them out of the ground.

A backhoe will do that job quite nicely..... but you won't drive anywhere with your backhoe bucket full of stuff to dump..... that is the FEL's job. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-10          79455

FWIW, the 60" works just fine on the 4110 for most soils/jobs, as I said. You'll just be looking at the outside of your wheel tracks when you are done with a job. Usually, that's not a biggy. Enjoy! Pete ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-11          79583

Just my 2 cents as a new 4110 owner myself...the dealer had the 54" bucket on the machine and I specifically told him I WANTED the smaller 49" bucket. Yes I will lose a little production time and would like a bigger bucket sometimes, but then again this is a toy for around the house, not something I am making a living with thus I want her to last a long time and am in no big rush to get things done.

Having been around large construction machinery all of my life, I know that in the long run the larger the bucket simply means more stress on everything, and there is always the tempation to "fill 'er up" to the max if you are trying to get stuff done which is harder on the little front axle. Let's face it..if you got the room, we would all round that little bucket right over-at least I know I would. The wider the bucket, the more leverage on the corners to bend and stress pins/bushings/etc. I could go on but I am boring all as it is I'm sure! :)

Anyway have fun with your new toy..I know I am with mine.

ps By the way, I just realized I got mine with AG tires (rare as hell I guess I am weird) which makes it narrower than yours. So after saying all that above...you always want your bucket to be a little wider than your machine...so if you have a wider footprint than I do then the 53" bucket WOULD be the right choice....though all I said above is still true so bear this in mind when working her. My 49" bucket gives me an inch or two on each side which is perfect with my skinny tires. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-11          79591

AG tires aren't wierd! The standard tires are AGs aren't they? I think while R4s are trendy, AGs actually deliver traction in soil. But hey, that's just me. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-12          79630

Denno, I agree that the 61 inch bucket loses some of its rigidity. In fact, some Deere literature states that it is for lighter materials only. I have the 53" whcih I consider the perfect size for the 410 loader, and I have had my dealer add some general top-end rigidity by welding gussets under the bucket hooks. I have always been advised to cover my tracks, both front and back, which means 53" for the loader and 54" for the box blade with a 4110. A couple of inches won't causes a real problem unless you are scooping a path through deep snow for your tractor, or trying to create a perfectly smooth bed with the box blade. If my soil were heavy or clay-based, I would definately not recommend a 60" box blade for the 4110. Even a 48" box blade can stop a much bigger tractor dead in its tracks when it hits a root, or if the box gets too full. In addition to the issue of covering the tracks of the tractor, an inch or two of extra width on either front loader or box blade allows for working a little closer to fences, ditches, and other structures. Just my $ 0.3275 ($0.02 adjusted upward for overhead and inflation). Pete ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-12          79637

well gentlemen, my dealer has confirmed the delivery of my new toy to be the end of march! i have read all of your comments and have taken them all in. the 4110 is probabbly over kill for mowing my 2+ acres and thats what it will do 95% of the time but fel and box scraper should handle the top soil and reseeding a want to do. i will post the pics when i get her . thanks for all you help and knowledge. bye fornow robo. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-12          79642

One last bit of advice: Never...NEVER...tell your significant other that your tractor is overkill for your property <;~] ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-12          79649

pete way ahead of you i have already told i thought i shoudl have ordered a 4310:) ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-12          79665

kws...yes I thought AG tires were standard too but not according to people I have talked too. My dealer said in 3+ years he has never or vaery rarely sold a CUT with AG tires! I had to get mine in from another state to bolt onto my new 4110!

4110 HST

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-12          79672

It goes in cycles I guess. My dealer told me that in 2002 nobody wanted R4s so in 2003 they ordered R1s on all their CUTs and then all the buyers were ordering R4s. Go figure. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-03-12          79677

There are more than one 61" choice of buckets for the 410 loader...I have the HD 61" on my 4100, and it is by no means a light materials bucket..there is a 1/2 plate underneath the front lip, the sides under a 1/4 inch and plates underneath on certain stress points. There is no way under normal usuage will the front lip bend..and if I exceed the weight limit, the machine just dosent lift it..no big deal, and no harm to the machine ( I use enough ballast)...for real digging the tooth bar is used, and that protects the lip as well...

FYI for those with bucket size decisions..

Duc ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-13          79720

Ducati.. Sounds like a nice rugged bucket you got there. I wasn't aware of a 61"HD bucket option for the 410 and to be honest I don't think it is a valid option for this loader. I think it was designed for maybe the 419 or larger loader. Of course you are free to use whatever fits and I believe a good number of the buckets are interchangable on these smaller loaders, since the hook/pin setups are the same as far as I know. This is a heavy bucket for such a small machine in my opinion...not that you asked my damn opinion anyway! :)
This "large" bucket would be considered a light materials bucket for the 410 not necissarily because it is made lighter (although often the case), but for the machines the loader was designed for (4010-4115), the bucket capacity potential is too much for the machine to handle properly, day-in, day-out. On a bigger machine, this size bucket would be a teaspoon. Just because the loader will lift something doesn't mean it was designed to do that as a rule. I could put 2 tons of stuff in the back of my 3/4 truck and it will haul it...but if I did that all the time something would break. Just hoping to help protect your tractor. :) ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-13          79742

Denno, You are correct that the loader buckets are all interchangeable between the 410, 420, and 430 loaders. The part numbers for the standard buckets are the same for all three loaders: 49" = BW14144; 53" = BW14145; 61" = 14146, etc. The HD buckets are not lsited as compatible with the 410 loader for the reasons you describe, but I don't see anything wrong with using an HD bucket on a 410 loader except that it adds cost and machine weight, and you lose a few pounds of material weight capacity. The HD bucket part numbers are identical for the 420 and 430 loaders. Technically, you could put a 73" bucket (BW14147) on a 410 loader, but that would be a big mistake unless you were scooping cotton candy, chicken feathers, or fairy dust. Any substantial lateral weight too far outside of the tractors stance width would make it unstable--the 4110/4100 is too light for that width, even when properly ballasted. I do believe one way to identify an HD bucket is the removeable/replaceable cutting edge (I could be wrong, though). All of the buckets have wear plates and rigid cutting edges. Pete ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-13          79766

pete, agreed. Believe me I am all about heavy duty coming from construction machinery background where 1"-2" plate is a standard item to use...but overkill is a waste IMO. I have plans to beef up my 49" bucket (on 4110) a little before I even wear off much paint including hardfacing, but your opinion on being able to safely only scoop cotton candy, etc with the 73" bucket is my same thought for the 61" bucket on a 410/4110. I just think it's a little too much temptation to carry too much for that size machine, regardless of ballast...and when you add extra weight on top of that with the unneeded steel of the HD 61" bucket...I just wouldn't do it unless I constantly kept in mind what I've got up front there, and operated accordingly.

Of course..again Im sure Ducati knows what he's doing, and nobody asked my damn opinion anyway! lol :) ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-03-13          79776

The 410 loader setup was a dealer supplied and suggested package. 61" was provided after scrutiny from myself and their expertise in the matter..I didnt specifically request the HD bucket, it just came with the package..

Duc ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-14          79831

Hey, Ducati. I'm sure your dealer knew what he was doing when he sold you the bucket. As I said, I see nothing wrong with using the HD bucket except that the 4100 and 4110 will run out of lift capacity for heavy materials in the 61" bucket no matter whether it's an HD bucket or not. I've moved about 25 tons of 3/4 drainage stone in the last few days and the 410 loader with 53" handles a full bucket, but with plenty of ballast and not with much margin. A better solution would be if JD offered an HD version of the 49" or 53" bucket for the 2210/4110/4115. The hydraulics on the 4115 asre the same flow and capacity as the 4110 and the 4100, so even the 4115 would work pretty hard with the 61" bucket filed with heavy materials.

On another note, I don't recall whether you said the dealer explicitly told you that you were getting an HD bucket and I cannot tell for certain from your pics. There are two options for HD buckets: with a replaceable/reverseable cutting edge and with a welded cutting edge. In either case, there should be reinforcing straps welded all around the leading edges of the bucket--bottom, sides, and top. If your bucket has straight leading edges on the side and top, without extra straps welded on, you have a standard duty 61" bucket. Even the SD buckets have reinforcement and wear strips on the bottom. Many dealers would have refused to sell you an HD bucket because JD does not recommend the HD option for our models. I think that is all anybody is trying to say here, not that using one is a problem. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-14          79847

I never got the impression that the 61" bucket was weak... just that it was intended to give the under 4200 group a high volume bucket for lighter materials.

Pete is right, the 53 inch bucket weighs 169 pounds and the 4110/4115 can lift 882 total pounds to max height. The "struck" capacity of the bucket is 7.8 cubic feet and wet soil weighs almost 100 pounds per cubic foot.

The 61 inch bucket weighs 20 pounds more and holds 9 cubic feet. That puts a load of wet soil at 1100 pounds, way over the 882 pound rated capacity. Unless, of course, you are moving grain or mulch with it.

4110 HST

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-03-14          79904

BigPete,

Your post is very informative regarding the bucket types. I will look closer at the bucket ( I was on it all weekend and bone tired now !!) It may be after all a Standard 61" but it is made very well and dosent show any weaknesses
(no flex at all).
I looked at my invoice and no mention of any "HD" bucket
(I never asked for one either).
I was initally concerned with the size and really went over it with the dealer, and was reassured by them. I trust them and they have a good rep. The machine works great with the bucket, and it lets me know if I'm over doing it :)
The work goes quick with the extra size thats for sure...

Duc ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-15          79941

wow i never thought that my original question about the bucket size would be such a hot topic! however drankin gave me solid advice. not only die my salesman agree i called jd tech center they only recommend the 49 or 53" for light excavation the 61" is for snow removal or mulch!!! i must say this is the best chat board i have ever joined. by the way thanks for the jd bulletin on the 46 backhoe jd tech center denies the availability of this product and says until further notice the 4110 is not recommended for a backhoe. the bulletin dated june 03 says differently. does anyone have the 46 backhoe? let me know roboha ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-15          79949

Did you send them a copy of their own bulletin? It would be interesting to hear what they have to say after they read it.

I have a 46 hoe on my 4115. The 4110/4100 uses the same backhoe with the exception of a different sub-frame to accommodate the shorter wheel base. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-15          79950

HOW LONG HAVE YOU OWNED THE 46 I AM FINDING THIS VERY INTERESTING. I WONDER IF IN 03 THE HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT BECAUSE ALL OF THE 04 BROCHURES HAVE AN ASTRICK SAYING JD DOES NOT RECOMMEND THE USE OF A BACK HOE ON THE 41 SERIES YET YOU HAVE ONE AND IT WORKS FINE. WHO IS YOUR DEALER AND WHAT DID THE TOY COST YOU? ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-15          79953

I bought mine last July (03). It was $5600 installed on a new tractor by Fisher Implement in Portland OR.

Please tell me who you have contacted at JD.

Now I want to talk to them.

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-15          79983

I guess I wasted my time and will keep my opinions to myself in the future. You guys have fun with your oversized buckets which of course will work fine for a while.... see you all in a few thousand hours when you will see that I know a little something about machinery. I will be greasing and polishing mine, you will be welding cracks or breaks and buying bearings/seals/etc for the front axle, pins and bushings..if not more.

i will try once more to say that just because it will lift it, doesn't mean it is supposed to carry it around all day-but what do I know?

by the way, am I right there is no such thing as a 61" HD bucket factory spec'd for the 410 loader? be nice if someone said so...

i know..Im a big baby. but right is right :)

4110 HST

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-15          79986

Denno, are you saying the 53" bucket is too big also?

My 4115 with turfies is about 51 inches wide. Nice to have a bucket that will cover the tracks. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-15          79998

I do believe I mentioned that the 61" HD bucket would not likely be sold for the 410 loader. We all know it is not listed as an option. The 61" HD bucket spec'd for the 420 and 430 loader will fit the 410--exact same quick-attach mounting. Any of us could order one (the HD bucket for the 420/430) for our 4100/4110/4115s and have a more solid bucket that was oversized for heavy materials. Of course you could still only pick up lighter loads with the HD bucket, but that would be kind of squandering the extra engineering.

To restate a little more clearly, JD doesn't recommend it (doesn't list it as an option)--you are correct. Most dealers would advise against it as a waste of money and weight, as I said. Repeat: the 410 loader cannot pick up a full 61" bucket of very heavy materials regardless of whether it is an HD or SD bucket, and either bucket will fit. I pretty much thought we all ended up reaching common ground, Didn't mean to aggravate anything, Denno...Regards, Pete ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-16          80027

drankin, roboha here the person i talked with from customer service was a gal named vickie. after i sent the buletin i got a call back from jd, get this he told me that the 46 is a brand new item just being released for sale in march 04!!!!
i called my dealer and he told me that they just got the litature on the 46 yesterday and is now avaiable for sale. i guess the esat coast is a little behind the times:) thanks for all you help again you have proven to me the novice of the utiliy tractor you are ht e man to go too for advice. i am having the dealer add 260lbs of wheel weights to the rear and also having install a 53" tooth bar for the light excavation i need to do such as to remove top layer of grass for som new flower bed for the mrs. any other suggestions you have for me i am all ears. thanks again roboha ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-16          80035

Rear worklight kit? Bucket level indicator? Chain hooks welded to the bucket? When do you take delivery? Pete ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-03-16          80038

Hi Dennoace,

I missed the part as to why you are upset? you dont have a 61" bucket so why sweat it? I'm the lug who has one and I should be upset, but I'm not...
Nobody was agrueing with you or saying your wrong at all..
All of you gave sound advice- Bigpete, Drankin and you..

I'm stuck with 61" and thats as far I care to think about it...I've been using it and will continue to do so, and if it breaks well its my fault then and I'll happily repair it with a smile...
The fact is this machine is a stout machine, and handles everything with no complaint's...I maintain all my machines exceptionally well. This machine will live a long and happy life I promise !!

Its just a bucket damnit :) If you want to get upset with something lets talk about the price of diesel and gas these days!!

Duc ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-16          80040

pete i will take posession the last week in march as long as all the attachments come in! i allready ordered the rear work light and bucket level in the original order. i had to laugh at my sales rep. he told me to stay off of tractor point he is tired of changing the sales ticket and calling for a new approval with jd. :) roboha ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-16          80059

Well, sorry all I just was in the mood last night and felt I was being ignored with the posts after mine.

No I think a 53" is ok in fact I too would get that one (and almost did anyway) if I didn't have the AGs on, yes you are right you want a bucket to cover your tracks.

I know Ducati you are right and that 61-incher I'm sure will be fine if used with common sense. I just know human nature, especially "men" and we will do what we can, when we can...at least I would. It is your machine and I'm sure you will use it with prowess...just cared about your investment in the long run that's all.

Anyway maybe this is part of my reason for being testy lately : I gotta run now and get back to my taxes...Apr. 15 is before I know it! Arrg..why so many rules/BS?!?

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-16          80070

First diesel prices, and now impending tax day. Sheesh. My wife's out of town through Friday and I'm taking care of the kids myself. I'm starting to get a bit testy now that I think about it. You're not alone, Denno. Hurry up spring... <:~] ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-03-18          80327

hehe...All I need to do is crack a cold beer and go sit in the garage and look at my new 4110 and all is right with the world.....usually. :) ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
BEFCO ROTARY SPREADE

2004-03-29          81485

bigpete i see you have the befco rotary spreader. i ordered
the same spreader from frontier and foun out its built by befco. i am not sure how to understand the spread rate chart in the owners manual. maybe you can give some advise. for example if you were to use scotts spring fertilizer with halts for crab grass what # would youe set your spreader on? any help you can send my way ? thanks in advance roboha ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-29          81509

Rob,

My chart is pretty straight-forward. There are three columns, each one for a different ground speed: 2.5 MPH, 3.75 MPH, and 5 MPH. There are ten rows, each one for a different lever position: 1-10. The chart assumes that the tractor PTO will run at 540 RPM and throw medium sized granules out about 20 feet. In the table, there is a figure for each coordinate (lever position and ground speed) that tells you how many pounds per acre will be applied.

Most fertilizers will tell you how many pounds per 1,000 square feet you should apply or how many total square feet a bag will cover. My first step is to convert the application rate from the bag to a total pounds per acre. For example, we'll use a 50 # bag of fertilizer that says it cover 12,500 square feet.

1 bag = 50 pounds
1 bag covers 12,500 sq. ft.
1 acre = 43,560 sq. ft.

43,560 divided by 12,500 = 3.485
Total number of bags per acre = 3.485
Total weight per acre = 174.25 pounds

Now I go to my chart and pick my speed, which is typically 3-4 MPH for spreading fertilizer. I look down the column for 3.75 MPH and see that at a lever position of '4' I will spread 196 pounds per acre if I travel 3.75 MPH. I set my lever at a littl under '4' and try to maintain a steady speed.

The other factor here is that you will likely spread similar material over time and you will learn and remember each setting for various materials. In my case, I set my setting at about 3 1/2 for my spring fertilizer/pre-emergent and I end up with a little extra that I spread out over expected problem areas at a lighter (lower numbered) setting. The case abopve is pretty typical and I usually expect to spread 15 or 16 bags of spring pre-emergent on my 4 acres.

Of course none of this matters if your chart is different than mine :~} If you need to use the trial and error method, it's better to apply too light and go over the whole area twice. In fact, many people do this as a rule anyway. Until you have an established pattern, this will help you avoid striping by giving you good overlap of your passes. Pete

4110 HST

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-03-30          81565

BigPete,

Thats real good info ! very useful and helpful !!

I also wounder lets says in less open areas, you would scale back some from the 540 PTO speed to throw it less of a distance? Just wondering what a good RPM ( 1,500 maybe?)
would give you some control in narrow spaces?

Regarding my bucket type I stand corrected its a standard 61" bucket. I confirmed by sight when i was at the dealer today. Well built and sturdy, but its a standard duty..sorry for the misinfomation

Duc ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-03-30          81569

I typically spread at an engine RPM between 1800 and 2000, and adjust as needed, as you suggest. Once the "gate" is set, the material flow rate is pretty constant. This means the amount of material applied per square foot increases with a drop in ground speed or engine RPM. There is an agitator in my Befco that spins at a rate relative to PTO speed (engine speed), but most granulated materials are pretty free-flowing and the gate flow rate is not greatly affected by the agitator. I would guess that my broadcast width is a maximum of 15 feet, or so, and drops as you mentioned. If you are throwing the same amount of material in a more narrow path, you are applying at a higher rate.... ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-03-30          81576

bigpete, thanks for the info it is very helpful. i need to put down the fertilizer this weekend so i will try out the spreader. by the way i used the tractor last nite for about an hour cutting out the side of a small slope,we had some fun i felt like i was operating a bulldozer in an hour i moved about 6 yrds of hill. my look out of the window and just shook her head:) keep in touch roboha ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-04-03          81987

lol...so I'm not the only one with a wife who seems to shake her head a lot at my outdoor antics.

4110 HST

View my Photos
bobggg

2004-04-04          82096

robhoa, I've had my 4110 for 4 months now and have done a lot of box scraping with my 48". I believe 48" is about all the 4110 can handle. I am tearing up and leveling solid ground and easilly bring my tractor to a stand still if I try to take too big of a bite. I have 5 acres of which I need to level three. The land was once used for an informal motorcycle track and has a lot of big ruts and small mounds. I've leveled abount a half an acre so far. I find that I have to keep the tractor in 4wd when scraping. Taking the right size bites, I mostly just chug along, back and forth, back and forth...easy but monotonous. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-04-05          82218

BOB, hang in there i am sure you will get it done! on saturday i putt the 4110 hst to the test at 8 :00 am i has deliverd 20 yards of screened top soil.by 2 pm i had moved all 20yrds. up a substantial hill with the 53" fel and smoothed it all out with the 48" befco box scraper! what a machine for such a small tractor!!! its monday and i had 10 more yrds delivered so after work i will finish up the project phase 1. ps dennoace so far i have not experienced any surge in idle cold or hot so far! i have enjoyed this site very much !!!!!:) ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-06-24          89284

robhoa, just ready about you success this past spring with distributing your loam. I will be getting my new JD in a couple weeks and intend to spread 75 yards. I do not own a box scraper or a rake, I read that you have had success with the box scraper and I was planning on using a rake with a flip blade. Do you have any thoughts or advice for me.
P.S. Will also use the FEL with 53" bucket to distribute and initially spread the loam then go over it with the rake to get the final thickness desired. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-06-25          89317

i am sure you wont have any trouble with your set-up your blade may even work better because to can angle it the box scraper stays pretty straight. bye the the way i just got my 50 hour check up all is well it cost $220.include the cleaning of the 60" mower deck and sharening the blades
whay a great tractor so far no problems it has handeld over 300 yrs of top soil 12000 lbs of blue stone fertilized
2.5 acres twice and mowed the 2.5 acres twice a week and still not one problem! good luck with yours ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-06-25          89318

thats a lot of work done in a short time. glad everything is going smooth with your tractor operation. I have about 4 acres of grass to mow once the lawn is completed. $220 for the 50 hour maint. sounds reasonable also. By the way thinking of adding a curtis canopy and work lights (front/rear) on the ROPS. Have you had experience with either one of those installations. Also I asked on another thread about the weight of the tractor over a septic leach field and concerns about damage to the leach field. any thoughts would be helpful. ....

4110 HST

View my Photos
ROBOHA

2004-06-25          89325

i do have the rear work lights but they were installed by the dealer. as far as your septic area in md. the drain field is all under ground so the surface is always hard so no problems for me but i do have turf tires with wheel weight for the front hill. i have a pretty steep hill out front but with thw the wige turf tires and rear wheelweights i can from side to side i did however install a grab bar on the right side to match the left side which is standard it allows you to transfer your bosy weight easier. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login