Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-15          76917

Hello Friends,

I live on 5 acres in Nebraska, most of which I mow. I was raised on a farm and have operated tractors all my life. I have had a couple of different Ford tractors with loaders to clean up tree limbs and snow. Used a Dixon to mow for 17 years and more recently a Sears rider. This fall I decided that I wanted to get something better for mowing since that is most of my tractor work. Only use the Ford 861 about 10 hours a year so I sold it. My Father-in-law had an old and pretty rough Farmall M with a loader that he gave me for the heavy work.

I bought a new X475 in October and really love it. I had the 3ph installed and bought a used blade from the dealer. I got the 62C mower deck and found that it has plenty of power to operate it. Shortly after my purchase I found this tractor site and while I only have a garden tractor and not a CUT I have learned a great deal from you all.
I've lived here 24 years and this is the most snow we have ever had. That little tractor with the rear blade can move more snow than I ever imagined! I love the hydro transmission. I use it more than the big M.

My father-in-law lives here with us about half the time, he is an old (81) retired farmer and loves to putter around on the tractor. We had talked about adding a FEL to the X475 this spring so he could play around with that. I went to the dealer last weekend to see if he had any used equipment that someone traded in for a snow blower or front blade. He didn't have anything but did price me a new 45 FEL for the X475- $3,000. A lot of money for a light weight tool.

He started talking to me about a 2210. He has 2 coming in on trade. A couple of customers have gotten larger acreages and are moving up to bigger tractors. One only has about 15 hours on it. Both have FEL. Should have the first one in 2 or three weeks and he will call me when they come in and let me come over and play on them. He said I could probably trade in my X475 and less money than the cost of a new 45 FEL.

I think this might be a very good idea. Better loader, 4WD, better 3ph, rear PTO. Trading gas for diesel has both good and bad points. Could sell the Farmall and let the 2210 do everything. I researched this forum for 2210 info and it seems to be a good tractor for the money. I love my X475 and realize I would be going from a top of the line garden tractor to a lower end compact but I would have a lot more machine. Would miss the cruise control but see no other drawbacks.

Any advice from the forum members would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-15          76919

If you went to a Kubota BX2230 it does have cruise control. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-15          76925

Gary,
I would definitely try one out first. If you are going to be primarily mowing, I think the 2210 is a great choice. The 62" MMM is very easy to get on and off. You might find the FEL a little lacking at first, but if you equip your bucket with a toothbar, it works pretty well for what it is. I would also look into a 3 pt hitch adapter which will allow a ball hitch for trailers and chaining logs, etc.

I couldn't be more happier with my 2210. If you liked your X475, and don't expect big things from your FEL, I think you will like the 2210 with 4 wheel drive. I think the Yanmar diesel is a big plus also.

NOTE: I am a 2210 owner, not a JD dealer, and certainly not a competitor dealer. Feel free to email me. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-02-15          76933

I'm on vacation this week. I think I will take Art's advice and look at a BX2230.

Mowhoward,
Yes I realize the FEL will not be able to do too much heavy work. I don't have too much need for that, perhaps I can one day get a box blade to help with dirt work. Anything really big I can rent something for.

Thank you both,
Gary ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-15          76961

Sounds like you are making a logical decision. Since it was obvious to me from your post that you are not necessarily shopping for a new machine, the suggestion of going over to a Kubota dealer to trade a used JD X series for a new BX sounds like it came from a Kubota dealer. That suggestion is a completely different logic than you have applied, i.e. comparing the cost of your loader add-on for your X to the cost of trading in on a good used 2210. You can go ahead and talk to the orange dealers in your area if you think the cruise conrol is worth it. Make sure you price out a NEW 2210, or a 4110 which is much more machine than either the BX or the 2210, as well. It'll cost you quite a bit more than the deal you are considering. I'm not sure I see any other features besides the cruise on the BX that beats out the 2210. Please come back and post your findings if you do shop brands and price. When I went from a JD 445 to a sub-compact, the Kubota dealers basically told me (with their trade-in values) that they were not interested in having used green machine in their inventory. Remember, some folks on these boards sell the brands they recommend and might not really be considering your best interests. I owned a 2210 for over a year and chose it for its greater 3-Point capabilities, more user friendly loader and mower attachments, and more user friendly loader control and hydro pedal features over the BX (just my opinions). I'm sure you would be happy with either, but I can personally recommend the 2210 as a past owner. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-02-16          77002

I agree with you Bigpete. I realize that my John Deere dealer will give me a better trade for my X475. I also don't think I can trade for a new machine either BX or 2210. My dealer said that the X series tractors have a better trade in than the 2210. So you know he has a good market for my tractor if I choose to make the trade. A near new 2210 for the deal I am looking at is my best oportunity. But it is winter and not much to do outside, might look at the BX for fun to compare the two.

I was 7 years old when my father tied me to the seat of his JD 70 and I drove the baler while he stacked bales on the hay rack. Later he got a 730 and I spent thousands of hours in the fields on that tractor. When I was in high school he got a 4020, wow what a great tractor! So I pretty much have JD in my blood when it comes to tractors. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-16          77015

Garycorn,

Enjoy the reaearch. That is a big part of the fun. Let us know how the model comparisons work out for you, and how the cross-brand trade-in values work out. I'd be curious to hear about your experiences. I'm sure if you were trading a 'Bota in on a Deere, it would be pretty similar. Pluses and minuses come with both brands and you want to see it for yourself. It gives you a chance to get to know the dealers a little better which will help you with your thinking the next time you are considering an upgrade or implement.

My Dad grew up on a farm and was a design engineer with Deere in Waterloo in the Fifties before going into engineering academia at a major midwest university. I didn't grow up on a farm but spent most summer months as a youth working with relatives on family farms in Iowa and Kansas. You can guess I saw plenty of green paint on toys and machines as a kid, just like you. The green paint isn't always the best choice, but it does "color" your perspective quite a bit. BTW, all those family farms are still in the family. Don't know how many more generations that can last. 75% is now leased out to bigger operators and arable land is in huge demand in the midwest in a big, big way. Every operator has to get bigger and bigger to survive these days. Pete ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-02-16          77020

I did my comparison-shopping about this time, last year. I compared the X595, 2210, 4110, BX2200, and BX22. I am on 2.5 acres in Eastern Nebraska. In the end, I opted for the 2210. For the most part, I’m very happy with my choice. However, I wish I had included the MF GC2300, NH TC18, and TC21D into the mix for comparison. In addition, there are times where I wish I had gone with the 4110 (or similar sized machine). But, I think in the end, when my landscaping projects are completed, the 2210 will have been the right choice for my property and usage. Still, I would never rule out trading up, at sometime. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-02-18          77261

I went to the Kubota dealer today and they had a new BX2230 there which I tried out for a few minutes. I was very impressed by the tractor as a whole. Price quote was Tractor, FEL, 60in. MMM, wheel weights, full fuel tank, delivered: $13,000. He wasn't much interested in taking my X475 in on trade, which is understandable. I'm going to the John Deere dealer tomorrow. I'll compare the BX to a new 2210. Of course the best deal will probably be the used 2210 but it may be few weeks before the dealer gets these in. It will be interesting to see the price difference between trading for a new and a used one. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-02-18          77262

Gary,
Sounds like you have it narrowed down to two very similar and very fine machines. They are very similar priced and spec'd. It may come down to ergonomics and convenience. Convenience being things like how easy the FEL and MMM come off and on. I did not mean to overstate the limitations of the FEL in my previous post. I have used it a lot more than I thought I would. I have loaded it with firewood, brush, built a creek crossing, leveled paths, etc. So actually I'm very pleased, and for what it appears you will be doing, it should be just fine. Just make sure you have the proper amount of rear ballast. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-19          77293

I would agree with Mowhoward that the 2210 loader, as well as the BX loader, are very handy and capable. I didn't build any bridges or ponds with the 210 loader, but was more than pleased (sometimes amazed) at what I could get done. The loader for the X just doesn't have the same capabilities as the sub-compact loaders (check the numbers out), and the X series tractors are not quite heavy enough to get full utility for the expense. You're on the right track. Pete ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
Garycorn

2004-02-20          77441

I went to the John Deere dealer today and got to try out a new 2210 with FEL. I really liked it a lot and feel it is more suited to my needs. I like the John Deere 2 pedal hydro better than the BX2230.

I asked what I could do for a trade in on my X475. A 2210 with FEL, level guide bar for bucket, engine heater, 62 in. MMM, and R4 tires. He's asking $6,713 plus my tractor which has the 3ph, rear blade, 62C deck, bar type tires, and 35 hours.

I'll have to do a lot of thinking about that. He should know where he is at with the used 2210 next week. Hopefully that will be within the price range I was talking about in my original post.

Thank you all for the advice I've gotten so far. I hope to find out more next week. I feel that the move up to the 2210 will be a good one. I'll let you know how things work out.

Gary ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-02-21          77549

Gary,

A quick comment: That doesn't seem like a very sincere/hungry/agressive trade-in quote from your dealer for your X tractor. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but if you want a better trade-in price for the X, you might take the opportunity to let your dealer know right now that his trade-in allowance might not allow you to buy new, or used, unless he can make sure you are getting some equity out of your trade-in. Don't forget to mention the BX option to him, even if you might have set it aside for now. Keep him honest. Pete ....

Trade X475 for 2210

View my Photos
mcgavic1

2004-02-23          77705

Gary,

Around Indiana, the 2210 with 62" deck, and FEL sell for 13,000, so assuming he/she is using that number it's $6,287 for yours. I suspect from a dealer perspective it's dealing with the aftermath: a) this unit is not in high demand and many times jumped over to purchase an X485 (nearly a 4:1 ratio of 485's to 475's) and b) it's used, so the dealership must get it at a price they can move it against all the Deere promo plans. Saddly enough, you are essentially loosing the 3-point and blade. If possible, you should remove them and sell them individually. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login