Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Michael
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-04          7649

We're new to the tractor world but need one for: 1)field mowing (high grass and young alder trees), 2)some loading work from stacks, compost, bark, and occassionally gravel, 3)trail grooming which I'm assuming we would do with a back blade. The JD dealer has a slightly used 4400 (27hrs) with new 430 loader that we could get for $19,500 not including tax or the 790 with loader for $ 14,400 not including tax. We (wife and I) both liked the 790 but are trying to understand just how much difference the extra 3+PTO hp on the 4400 makes, both in terms of pulling the 516 rotary mower and in using the loader. Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Jerri

1999-09-04          7651

Michael, not so much the horsepower but the loaders available for each and of course the implements. The loaders available for the 4400 the 430 and 440 can't pick up a great deal more than the 70 loader on the 790. This may not make a difference to you. As to the other implements, blades, mowers and etc. the differnces are much less substantial. The 4000 series has some features which may be of benefit such as if you are unfortunate enought to run it out of fuel....then you won't have to disconnect injector lines to reprime it, the 790 apparently doesn't have this feature. To make a long story short, the biggest difference (at least to me) were the specifications for the loaders. Others seem to prefer the ergonomics of the 4000 series versus the 790, but this of course is an individual thing. Pick up some literature for each and you will see what I mean. Good luck. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Jerri

1999-09-04          7652

Oops...sorry, should have said the 430 and 440 loader CAN pick up more...about 400 to 500 more pounds. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-09-04          7666

For just a little extra on the monthly payments, I would definatly go with the 4300. Unless money is the sole issue here. What the issue should be, is this is going to be a tractor that you might keep for over fifteen to twenty years, and you will want a machine that is comfortable. Which the 4000 series are. Superior Operating platform. Loader is by far easier to take on and off on the 4000 series. And the performance of the loader is great.. very fast & powerful hydraulics. The other tractor is just basically an economy tractor.. Resale Value, I would think would hold a lot more too with the Luxury tractor.. Just my thoughts though... ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Steve L

1999-09-05          7678

Your loader comment is misleading, I have the 790 and it takes me all of 3 minutes with no tools to remove the loader. It is so easy that I take it off if I need to mow and then put it back on when finished mowing. I have used the 790 for loader work and brush clearing with no problems. I mow five acres and have a 600 foot driveway I maintain. I would also look at weight of both tractors, I have a drain field and was concerned about damaging it with the heavier 4000 series tractors. The 790 has been a outstanding performer. I also wanted the 4300, but it made no sense to spend that much more for all the bells and whistles. The loader capacity has not been a problem, I can move all the top soil or gravel I need. Just a note to all the people crying about the tires scuffing the lawn, "I have a real cheap and easy fix, Slow down the ground speed" and see what a differance that will make. After all your lawn isn't a race course! ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Brent

1999-09-07          7704

The 4XXX series tractors are a new design and from the posts here and on other forums, still have a few bugs that need to be worked out. The 790 is still built by Yanmar, as the 50 and 70 series tractors were. The 790 is the former 770 with a bigger engine. I looked with interest at it a few months back. The only drawback for me was it's light weight. It is only 2105lbs. To me weight is as important as hp. The loader mounts the same way as the 4XXX series. It is quick detach. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Daryl

1999-09-29          8408

Just upgraded to a 4300 4x4 with mid mower loader/ backhoe incredible machine 25 hours and i'm in love. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

1999-11-24          10359

I know this an older thread, but to comment on the 790, I just got one a couple weeks ago. It has restored my faith in JD again. I got ripped off on my 455, but I have to say the 790 is just the opposite. I can't believe I own a JD 30hp machine with the loader, for under 15k. The only reason I would even consider the Kubota brand any more would be for their basic 7300 model to mow the grass. Specs. vs specs. you can't get a kubota under 15k with 30hp 4x4. The closet thing jumps you into a L35 which retails for 30k+.

If you can get along with the stick shift, and live without tilt wheel, this machine can't be beat for price or power. I looked at the 4100 sitting next to me in the dealers lot, and laugh to myself when comparing the size and price of these machines. The 790 should blows away Kubota and give the modest man a machine he can afford. You really get your monies worth with the 790.

I only have a rake, sub-soiler(which works great), rear scoop, and the 70 loader, and I am loving every second on this machine. Can't wait to plow some snow! ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Terry

1999-11-30          10472

I own a 4400 I love my tractor there are a few problems with these tractor witch John Deere is takind care of. Personially the heavy weight will allow you to move a heaver load with loader or on the three ponit hitch. I would also like to comment on Steve L posting about slowing down, please dont comment unless you own a 4000 series tractor, it makes no difference how slow you go, you can creep and still scruff the turf, that`s why JD is fixing this problem. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
doug

1999-11-30          10489

Terry is right, I have a 4300 (traded in a 955) and overall I feelit is a better tractor, I have had some problems but my dealer has jumped on them. One item to look at is the orginal delivery date of the tractor if it was before march of 99 make sure ithas had the new hydro trans put on it mine was delivered late nov of 98 and the early ones had rough running jerky hydro drives. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
SteveL

1999-11-30          10502

Terri I am glad you Love your tractor. But what fix do you think JD can make? turning radius reduction? Diffrent Tires like the 790 with the rounded side walls? With less ground contact which equalls out to less traction. Don't use 4WD while mowing? there are not to many things you can do to steering geometry and still get a tight turning radius. Sorry I ruffled your feathers but you can only do so much. (people on these tractor boards should lighten up) If you have R4 tires you should expect scuffing and your selling dealer should have warned you of this as mine did me! I have been a Heavy Equipment Mechanic for 34 of my 50 years and I feel I do have a pretty darn good understanding of tractors and how to operate them as well as maintain them and make them do what you need them to do.SL ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-11-30          10509

It's been three months since Michael started this thread. I wonder which tractor that he got?

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
mike

1999-12-01          10544

Terry,I love my tractor also,I tell my wife that she comes in at a very close second.For some reason,she doesn't quite understand. ....

JD 790 vs JD4300 or 4400

View my Photos
Terry

1999-12-02          10561

Mike some women are just like that, they just don`t understand about a man and his toys, kind of like football, but I have let her drive it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login