Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Conditioner Required

View my Photos
kadorken
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-15          74104

As I glance at our weather station indicating -24 C, I am wondering about the need for diesel conditioner in the fuel to prevent icing, etc. I have never used it before, but have hear in the last week of 2 instances of diesel fuel gelling up.

Anyone have any experiences as to when one should actually use conditioner or not? What about 'winter' diesel versus 'summer' diesel fuel?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74107

For a few cents per gallon you can pretty much guarantee yourself no gelling of your fuel while at the same time raising the cetane number of the fuel as well as increased lubricity. Why would you not use it under such cold circumstances? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-15          74114

In -24 degree C weather I for sure would use the diesel additive. It is dirt CHEAP insurance. Heck, I use it in my 4310 and we rarely see temperature in the teens. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-16          74132

What additive have your tried and which are you using? Brands? Any real difference ( Excluding the low end cheap stuff ) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-16          74138

As (relatively speaking) your neighbour I can tell you definitevely, the conditioner will make a BIG difference.

Even if you don't have a gelling problem it will do many good things for you, it will make starting faster & easier, it will disperse any water in the system and most imortantly stop it from forming ice. It will also help prevent the growth of algae and lubricate the pump & injectors.

We run conditioner all year in our machines, it even makes a difference in the summer. Condensation is actually a bigger problem in the summer than it is in the winter.

Fuel conditioner from any reputable company will have cetane booster, a water dispersant and anti-gelling properties, most also have an anti-algea component.

Any 'big truck' dealers service department will have big jugs of quality product for a reasonable price. The little 'one shot' bottles are VERY expensive by comparison.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74145

Amalgamated Fuel Additive.

This might be a good consideration for you Murf as Gary sells the additive in 55 gallon drums you could may save money on your fleet.

Pricing for 21665-15 additive is $50.00 per 5-gallon can plus shipping ($40.00 for 5-gallon can) or $495.00 per 55-gallon drum plus freight costs.

Additive #21665-15 which is the same product they sell to the Co-op's in Indiana, Ohio and Southern Illinois. ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74146

Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additive

This is about the best prices I have been able to find on Stanadyne. Until recently Stanadyne made John Deere's fuel additive.

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74147

I had been buying my diesel fuel additive at Walmart thinking they had the best prices on it. Walmart sells it for $10, Rural King has it for $8.90 in the 96 oz. jugs (winter anti-gel formula. 2 weeks ago Rural King had on sale for $7.99. They have had the best prices on it by far. They only list the 911 Diesel Treat in this link but the stores carry both. Anyone see it for a better price?

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-16          74148

John Deere sells a Winter Formula Fuel Conditioner for $32.95 a gallon. Kinda pricey but it is good stuff. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-16          74150

I checked out the Web for my local Tractor Supply Center and they had the 911 for 8.95 I included the link and you just enter your area Zip Code for that area price.

Link:   TSC 9 1 1

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-16          74175

Our fuel distributor supplys us with Stanadyne's Performance Formula in 208 litre/45 Imperial Gal./55 US Gallon drums which in turn is blended into our fuel tanks at the time of delivery. That way our entire fuel supply is pre-treated, coloured or clear, on road equipment or off, everything gets a little go-go juice constantly.

All-round it is the best thing we have found so far.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login