Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mounting flood lights on ROPS

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-12          70997

I want to mount two flood lights (facing front & aft)on the ROPS of my JD990 for better visibility when snow blowing. I'd like to run the wire down inside the ROPS which would require that I drill a 3/8 inch hole. Would this threaten the structural integrity of the ROPS as some have suggested? I'm no engineer but it's hard to believe that it would.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          71001

If you look at picture #8 in my profile you can see a picture of the John Deere front facing work lights I have mounted to my ROPS. They come 2 to a kit and cost $35 a pair for my tractor from the dealer. I have a set of rear facing work lights that I have not posted pics on yet but thaey are the same light except they are mounted on the inside portion of the ROPS inboard from the red and amber lights. They cost $35 as well. The kits comes with everything required to install them to the 4000 Ten series wire harnes. Not sure if these will work for you but I can check and look up any possible work lights for you on the JDparts web site and post the part # for you if you would like> ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-12          71003

The work light kit for your tractor is part # BM 17981, no price was available. It looks like one light comes with each kit, so you will need 4. I can call and find out a price for you Monday if you would like. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-12          71004

My #3 and #4 pics are of the JD rear lights on my 4310. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-12-12          71006

I did it the lazy (snd cheap) man's way. I attached the small off-road lights that had been on my truck to the ROPS via zip ties. I ran the wires through some 1/2 green hose and twist ties thta tot he inside of the ROPS down tot he fender where i spliced into the electric. 10 minutes, cheap, easy to change and if you use green zip ties it looks good. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-13          71021

CaptianB I do not see a problem. I mounted an angle iron cross piece also. See my #4.

I'm not a engineer either. My lights are up high to shine down into the work areas and not thru it.

Do what you need to and have fun. ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-12-13          71027

Chief, from your post 71001 I take it you have 4 of the work lamps mounted on your tractor.

Did you run any extra switches to allow selection of rear, front, rear/front independent of the 1 setting on the dashboard light switch which only enables power to the rear wiring harness in one position?

Did you use JD switches? P/N ?(assuming the answer to the above is yes)

Thanks, Keith ....

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-12-13          71047

The replies are really helpful. Follow up question--I already bought the lights and wiring harness from an auto parts place. The harness has its own switch and fuse and is intended to be wired straight to the battery terminals. I'd rather run it into the fuse box so that the lights turn on through the existing headlight and rear light switch. Never done this kind of thing before. All the exisitng wires are densely bundled such that I don't want to risk cutting the wrong one. How to do it? I have the JD990 shop manual. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-13          71052

Get a 12V test light and check for hot circuits B4 U turn your lights on. Then check lighting circuits hook your fused lead tho the 1 u want and tape the connection. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-13          71064

Kieth, yes, I have 4 lights mounted (2 forward, 2 facing aft) I used the stock wire harness connections and fabricated a pigtail so all each set of forward & aft facing lights used the existing plug on the factory wire harness . Deere provides a harness connection for ROPS work lights. I had concerns about 4 lights going through the factory light switch and contacted the dealer to confirm whether or not this was too much load for the switch. The dealer service tech told me the switch would handle that extra 4 lights and it would not be a problem with overload or warranty. I have used them quite a bit and they make a huge difference at dusk and night. Now if I could just figure out a way to repel all the bugs and flys those lights attract! ;-)

I may add some switches on the ROPS to turn off or isolate some of the lights when I don't need them all but currently the factory light switch turns them all on at the same time.

Did you want the part # for the light kits? ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-12-14          71101

Chief, no I installed one ROPS light last year (fun job running a wire down the ROPS out the little hole at the bottom, isn't it?),so I already have the P/N. Was looking at putting more on like yours, but really want to have them separately switched.

Thanks, Keith ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-14          71102

I used plastic insulated clothes hanging wire to snake the wires down through the inside of the ROPS........but you are right about the pain in the butt about snaking the wires down. Hook the end of the snake wire in a loop and hope for the best. ;-) ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-23          77653

Harvey,

I am planning to mount lights similar to yours. It appears that you mounted your angle iron cross piece with bolts through the rops from front to back ?

Or did you tap the ROPS to accept a bolt?

Did you just cut the angle iron to leave a 'lip' that extended over the front of the rops? (looks the simplest to me).

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-23          77655

Chief, I started my light installation (in conjunction with the Power Beyond installation since the seat is about to be removed making it easier to get at the wiring).

I picked up a nice double SPST switch (at princess auto for $2) that I mounted on the control panel beside the cup holder and ran wires down the wiring channel. My intention is to connect the 3 rear lights to one switch, and the 2 forward lights to the other switch.

There is a perfect location beside the cup holder for the switch and sufficient room to run the wires. It is a little tedious cutting a hole for the switch, but a dremel helps.

The lights will be mounted as Harvey has them on a cross bar on the ROPS.

Everyone will know when I cut grass at night this summer...

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-23          77703

A couple of pointers here might be in order.

First of all, fishing is easiest done with something fairly stiff yet pliable. If you want to spend a couple of dollars a 'fish tape' is readily available at Home Depot & the like for ~$20 and it's worth every penny. Always fish from top to bottom, it's easier. Push the fish to the bottom of the tube, come back up 1/2" (to be sure it's not stuck & can move freely) then snag it with a hook in another stiff wire. Once you have it use the fish to pull it back up & out the top hole.

Secondly, ALWAYS leave extra wire dangling in the tube, later the extra might be needed to remove a nicked portion or fix a bad connection. It's easier to have extra than to try and stretch what's left.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-23          77715

kadorken I drilled thru and used a 3/8" bolt. There are switches in the middle of the bar for each set.

You can get a self tapper that size if drilling is not for you.

The front lights are mounted normally on the top lip and the rear lights are upside down on the back lip.

I have yet to hit my head on them. I have hit my head on my radio a couple of times. Did not see stars but am going to relocate it somewhere.

Good luck ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login