Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota M4900 vs John Deere 5103--Equivalent

View my Photos
wacojohn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-26          69711

I have 70 acres of Texas pararie to mow and care for and looking at 40-60 hp John Deere or Kubota with front end loaders. Specifically the Kubota M4900 (4wd) and Deere 5103 (2wd). I have three basic questions: How important is 4wd to the weekend farmer? Second, how critical is a synchronized trans with shuttle option? The Deere doesn't offer this as an option in this model and the next model up comes with a very hefty price increase (still w/o shuttle option but you can get it). Finally, any thoughts on the pros and cons of paint color? Is there any reason to choose one manufacturer over another beyond personal preference? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-26          69712

2 wheel drive with a loader naw! Loader without a shuttle Naw!!! not hard to answer and I can't wait to see all the posts on this one!!! ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-26          69713

Forgot about the reliability, Kubota has the best hands down with the rest right behind them. Why don't you look at the MX5000 Kubota which is also a economy tractor like the 5103 ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-26          69723

wacojohn, welcome to the board! First off you are comparing apples and oranges. The John Deere 5220 is a pretty even, valid comparison, both make about the same hp. & pto hp numbers.

A 5220 MFWD equipped with the following:

12F/12R PowrReverser
Isolated Open Station Platform
Horizontal Side Exhaust
Standard R-1 tires
Dual Rear SCV with Lever Controls
Dual Mid SCV with Joystick Control
Rockshaft with Telescoping Draft Links

Is going to put you in the $27,000 price range and maybe $500 less if you can cut a really good deal. John Deere is offering some very enticing incentives as well. You can go the the John Deere & Kubota web sight and compare these tractors and see exactly what you are getting for the money spent. The 5220 above is a very nice package and comes with a LOT of goodies and more gears to choose from not that this is always such a big deal.

The M4900 is a very nice tractor as well. Art can tell about the price better than I can. The M4900 comes fairly comparably equipped but not completely like the JD.

Best advice I can give you is to demo out both of these models and go with the tractor that tickles your fancy. I would also pay close attention to the dealer and their support attitudes and logistics capability. Who offers the best after sale support?

If the the 5103 2WD is all that is available to you or is the limit as far a price. Well, that makes it easy, go with the orange paint. I think if you make a valid heads up comparable option detailed analysis, the prices may be closer than you originally were thinking. Above all the tractor must be able to efficiently do what you have planned for it reguardless of the price range. Get what is going to work best for you the FIRST time. May mean spending a little extra but if you are like most folks; you will keep this tractor for many years if not a life time. My high school buddy still owns his 1977 2010 he purchased new and loves it.

The 5103 is John Deere's bottom of the line "value" ag tractors which is a basic 2WD ag tractor. That would put you in the $12,000 price range with a few hyd. and hitch options. If you plan to mount a loader, you will hate this tractor. Art is correct about the 4WD and shuttle shift.

You pay for what you get so shop carefully and look closely at the features both tractors offer. Good luck!

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69783

Here is some John Deere poop on the 5220. ....

Link:   5000 TWENTY Utility Tractors

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69784

Here are the latest incentives John Deere is offering on the 5220. ....

Link:   Special Offers For Utility Tractors

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69787

More special offers for ag use. ....

Link:   Special Offers

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69791

I looked a bit more and found you can get a 5205 MFWD (8F/4R SyncReverser™ transmission is standard equipment)equipped with the following:

Folding ROPS
16.9-28 In. 6PR R1 Bias rear tires
9.5-24 In. 6PR R1 Bias
Dual Rear SCV with Detented Float and Lever Controls
Telescoping Draft Links

That would put you in the $22,500 to $23,500 price range and still pretty much have all of the features the M4900 offers but just not as many bells and whistles as the 5220.

Does this get you to the price range you were considering? ....

Link:    5205 Utility Tractor

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-27          69799

Kubota's transmission does offer a hydraulic reverse which is real sweet to use with the loader. They also are offering 0% interest on some deals on the M series tractors. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-27          69800

"Kubota has the best hands down with the rest right behind them." I would like to see this reliability data for Kubota. Do you have a link for the independent reliability study for all of these tractors? They make good products; wouldn't surprise me. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-27          69801

Ask your Dealer how much cost per Deere unit sold costs for warrantee! Simple as that. I see what is going on in our area with the bigger farm tractors. just look at this board, Look at the other boards. They aren't perfect but as close as the industry has seen for quite some time. Look for manufactures that only have kept models out for two to three years instead of the standard of five for good units. It says it all and you don't have to look far. I can give you a list of some of the flops if you would like! ....

View my Photos
wacojohn

2003-11-28          69835

I was overwhelmed by the responses to my questions. Thanks.

Thus far it seems that the appropriate JOhn Deere model is a 5105 with 4wd that runs about $23,500. I've not checked whether this includes loader. I do know that the Kubota M4900 with loader is $23,500. I'll continue to do my homework. thanks guys. very informative and enjoyable discussion. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-28          69843

Some small things to consider, vibration and noise of the tractors, is it easy to get on and off for you? How easy it might be to check oil, or to fill. To change the oil or to service the engine. How easy can you get to it? On the hitch, is it easy to adjust? How does the PTO work, is it a hydraulic the best, or dry? Is the transmission synchronized? Is there any vibration to your feet from the floorboards? There is a lot to consider and you are looking at some of the best available tractors on the market. You might also look at a Case-IH JXu. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-28          69856

I think the John Deere dealer can do better than that. I am thinking around $21,000 - $22,000 would be within reach for the 5105 similarly equipped as above. If the 5 hp drop in pto hp is not an issue for you; the 5105 will be even more within reach dollar wise. But do yourself a BIG service and demo ALL the models you have in mind first, compare, and then buy. I would expect that FEL is not included in the price you posted; however if it is; jump on that deal and run. Expect to pay around $5,500 for a 541 FEL equipped with the Large Ballast Box 73 In. (1850 mm) Materials Bucket.

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69860

I can't believe it Chief votes for JD and Art White votes for Kubota..will wonders never cease??

:):););)

Just to be consistent I vote you buy a JD 790 :) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69861

The truth is there doesn't seem to be a good independent compact tractor reliability and customer satisfaction survey out there. AT least I can't find one.

With the size of this market you would think there would be some research like what is available for cars.

Maybe the best indicator of how good ALL these tractors are is the way the resective owners praise them. Both companies are doing very well and have good support, resale, etc. I don't think there is a WRONG choice, the rest is personal preference. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-28          69864

Scott, if you re-read the posts; I actually suggested the Kubota under some circumstances. All I did was point out some of the John Deere possibilities and stress that he should carefully demo and compare both brands or any other he might be considering and then make his own choice based on his observations. He just made it sound like the JD was out of reach and it may not be. I was hoping Art might post similar option and price information so he could compare since the Kubota web site does not offer that much in the way of pricing and options comparison. You never know, might get Art a sale or two as well. ;-) ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69865

I was just having some with you guys:)

Art is like Fonzi on the Old Happy Days show, "Fonzi couldn't say he was "r,r,r...wrong" and Art can't say J,j,j,j...JD. :) :) Actually he admits to needing help capitalizing JD in posts :)

As you said, surely there are certain criteria that JD meets better than Kubota and there are others where Kubota outshines JD.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-11-28          69874

I figured as much Scott. I think Art might like a Johnny Popper too much if he tried one out. I think it might be the chick magnet appeal that has him wondering. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-28          69893

Leave you guys alone for half a day and look at ya! His price quoted didn't look to bad, I didn't look to see as there are a few options that might be liked. ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-28          69895

Chief and I were giving ya' the old JD tag team! :) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-29          69919

You don't need to do that as when I look out my window I have to look at about seven of them in this locations yard. Have them from three to thirty years old and would rather look at them in someone elses yard. I think somewheres in Texas would be good! Does give me good fodder as to why they traded! Care to hear? ....

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-11-29          69927

He if ya'really don't like em' you could always send them a little closer but still south...how's Orange County, NY sound?

I am sure there are some lemons in the bunch, but then again my JD guy has some Kubotas sitting in his yard, wonder what they were traded for?? ;) He keeps the used Kubotas along with a Ford and a new JD at a roadside display a 1/4 mile from the retail location.

I bet it's not that rare for the bad JD's to end up at Kubota or NH, MF etc. and it probably works in reverse as well. People feel they'll get better trade in on the old stuff if they buy at the same time. They aren't happy so they try something else. Your also probably not going to get great trade in value at the JD, Kubota, MF, NH, etc dealer if he's the same guy you've been battling with and trashing the machine to for a couple of years :o

I heard a rumor, to sweeten the deal you make them take a 12 step "JD Anonymous" program and in return give them another $500 off on an Orange machine :) :)

It's like pickup trucks,if I make a few phone calls I can get you a bunch of guys who swear Dodge is the worst. A couple of more calls and my anti-Ford and anti-Chevy friends will swear that those brands are terrible. Sometimes 5 years later and they've switched sides????? Were they wrong and now they're right? Probably not, it just depends on your last vehicles performance. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-29          69931

It's amazing as to why people do what they do. We had a fellow who bought a 2910 it did have a problem, never told us! Went to the Deere dealer bought a new deere after they told him how bad the bota's are, they wouldn't even consider taking the bota in, his freinds told one of our guys to give him a call, we did fixed it, now he's wondering how to trade both off, he still prefers the bota thank you, but thinks we want both and he just wants a new 2910? GO figure! ....

View my Photos
nicholwa

2003-12-05          70318

I recently purchased a 5205 MFWD (8F/4R SyncReverser™ transmission is standard equipment)equipped with the following:

Folding ROPS
Stainless Canopy
16.9-28 In. 6PR R1 Bias rear tires
9.5-24 In. 6PR R1 Bias
Single Rear SCV with Detented Float and Lever Controls
Telescoping Draft Links
521 Front Loader

in Conroe for about 23,500 out the door. I love the tractor and find it easier to use than the MX5000. Also the hydraulics are about 30% more flow and lift capacity. I leased a new Mx5000 for 50 hours before I bought the Deere. ....

View my Photos
wacojohn

2003-12-05          70325

Interested to see the JD 5205 and learn about your experience. My dealer has this model and i'm going to go down and give it a test drive. My concern is that I don't understand how the transmission compares to the shuttleshift option on the Kubota M4900. Is there a real difference that will influence my use of the machine? I'm not a commercial user so I suspect not. Also, I'm still not convinced that the orange paint for the same or less money isn't the better buy (that ought to get a rise out of some of you JD guys, I would guess).

Looking forward to your thoughts and to a review of your experience with the 5205. By the way i was told that with a loader this tractor is in the $23-24k range. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

Wacojohn ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-05          70381

Waco, you'd have to define "better buy". Orange and Green are both good, reliable machines. If by better buy you mean cheapest price, then the lowest price may be the best buy as long as it meets your needs. It's important to be aware that buying from a crappy dealer or an out of state dealer has hidden costs, and in those cases the lowest price isn't always cheaper in the long run. As always, dealer support, features, and ergonomics play a major role in a decision.

There is no one "best buy" for everyone. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-08          70511

I wasn't aware the MX5000 Kubota and the 5105 Deere were equals or comparables are they? Many people appreciate the syncros that some companies have used for years. They help to reduce the chance of gear grinding by helping to align the gears for you while shifting. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login