Go Bottom Go Bottom

X585 Too much for 2 acres

View my Photos
Mozmud
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-20          66668

Help! I need a new lawn tractor, I like what John Deere has to offer in the X585 but....Would I be buying more than I really need. Will be mostly mowing (2 acres), some hauling(rock, branches, logs, etc..) I like the idea of a bucket attachment & snow blade. Best quote I've been given is $10,599.00 with $700 in free attachments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-20          66670

I suspect you will get some varied responses to your post. What it comes down to, will it do all the things you need it to do, and will you be happy with it? The machine itself is great and well made ! You will get good replys from people who have it..I dont think its too big for 2 acres, unless of course your 2 acres is already a golf course and needs nothing at all done to it. In my case my 2 acres needed a lot of work (at least 1 1/4 acre). It will take me some time to get it in the direction I want it w/ my 4100.
I dont use the 4100 for mowing or snow throwing(thats the Cub 3204's job). The 4100 I think would be too big for finish mowing because of turning radius. You wont have that problem with the x595. You might want a thrower with that X595, but that depends on you area of snowfall amounts. I guess the only thing that would strike as a negative with the X series, is the price. They are expensive, no doubt.
Good luck in the hunt!!

Ducati996

View my Photos
Mozmud

2003-10-20          66684

I like the 4100 and the 2210 as well...if only I had more land and more to do. My husband thinks I'm nuts for wanting a larger tractor (He's the practical one). He thinks a larger deck makes for a more uneven cut...is this true?? He wants to stay in the 42 inch range, this would be a smaller Garden Tractor GT or GX series(For me... the more bells and whistles it has the better I like it). The X585 or X595...just the right size, 48 inch deck and up, larger (more expensive) bagger system, seems capable of doing what I want and more, but you're right....they are expensive! Thanks for your input! ....

View my Photos
Wildman1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-20          66687

I also think the only downside to the x595 is price. A 2210 has the same engine but comes standard with a rear PTO. For the money, I'd get the 2210, and it'll cost less than the 595 by the time you add the FEL, rear PTO..etc.

My 54" deck on the 2210 mows perfectly smooth and doesn't scalp on high spots (anti-scalping roller on the front lip).

I started out mowing a half acre of grass with a 38" rider. Then the grassed area grew to almost an acre. Went to a 42" then a 50" Craftsman. Now The 54". The bigger the better except for tight places. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-20          66688

The X495 in 2WS or perhaps one of the smaller gas powered models with a 48" or 54" mower might be a more wallet friendly and practical choice and be more acceptable to your husband? Will still many of the tasks and handle many of the impilments you are thinking of. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-10-20          66690

Wildman1
Thats funny I was going to suggest looking at the 2210 series but I didnt want to confuse the issue more...If the price is that close between the x595 and 2210, then go for the 2210 !!

Mozmud,
For 2 acres 54" is fine ! I do mine with a 44" and its great. 60" can scalp but it depends on system and rollers, you dont need it on 2 acres..

Good luck again !! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-21          66698

Getting away from being color blind here, you might look at the BX1500 Kubota for a full feature mini tractor. You can have a loader, the 48" deck so you can still get into tighter places then the 2210 due to it's size and have all the attachments you would like in a garden tractor size. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-21          66712

I don't think the x585 is to large for 2 acres. I got a friend with a JD 430 w/60" deck on a 1.2 acres. He can get it done in 20 minutes. I still would go with the 2210, its almost the same price plus has more features. It also better on the braging rights. If you want to save a little, get the 54" deck and a curtis plow. The plow is loader mounted snow plow, it is cheaper and better when plowing snow. It can be used to stack snow, not just push it around. I know i use my 955 with on to plow snow commerically. ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-10-21          66716

I have 2.5 ac, and mow about 1.25 ac with my 2210 and 62” MMM. At first glance, I thought the 2210 would be too big, and was considering the X-series. After using the 2210, I have no regrets what-so-ever with my decision to go a little bigger. Now, at times I even wish I had gone with the 4110 or 4115. ....

View my Photos
sergeant

2003-10-21          66723

That is a good price for the X595. I use a X485 on 51/2 acres I have a 45loader and alot of other bells and whistles on it and its fine for what I need right now. When I move to my lager place then I will Get Compact Utility Tractor. I think the X585 would be more suited to you needs than a 2210. The JD X585 has alot better ride than a 2210. To me the only real diffrence is the 2210 has a better loader capacity then the X-series. That is if you base it on attachments they both take the same attachments and I think the 2210 has a Higher Limited Cat1 lift capacity. I do like the Joystick on the 2210 for controling the loader over the X-series system. My opinion would be to stick with the X-series for two acres. In my 0pinion for 2 acres unless you really need a higher loader capacity the 2210 is overkill. But as other have said that is what the use. For the price the 2210 though is worth the money because you get alot of standard stuff like both rear and mid PTO and 3point which you have to pay extra for on the X-series. If you add that to the X-series Like I did. You may wish you bought the 2210 series. well good luck in your decision.

+

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66771

Here is an article I came across on the X585. Figured you all might be interested. ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
Mozmud

2003-10-22          66826

Chief
Good article..Thanks for the link.
When it comes right down to it....I want the X585. I keep wondering if I should wait to purchase early next year?
04 Models, warranty, cost more/less?, change in tractor?
What do you think??? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66827

If that is the tractor you want, I would think that now would be the time to buy as interest rates are at long time lows and less customers buying equipment in Fall and Winter. If you buy one buy one with the diesel engine. Better all the way around. ....

View my Photos
Mozmud

2003-10-22          66828

Have never had diesel engine... Why Diesel over gas??? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-22          66830

Chief is right about JD financing. The current 0% financing is scheduled to end at the end of this month. They have extended it a few times already, but there is no guarantee they will do so again and with the improving economy who knows? 0% is cheap money if you qualify. As far as waiting for the 04 models, tractors don't seem to have the model year association that cars and trucks do. The number of hours on a tractor seem to affect resale value more than the model year. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66832

The diesel will help the resale value down the road immensely, those Yanmar engines last seems like forever, more torque and smooth delivery, and very fuel efficient (not that this points makes much difference to many people), diesel is not explosive or near as much fire hazard, diesel keeps stored longer, diesel about 40 cents a gallon cheaper (if you buy off road diesel) and I just like the diesel. If I was going to pay that much for a top of the line garden tractor; I would buy the top of the line engine that comes in it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-22          66850

Chief, I read on the X series article where the wheel base is the same as the BX Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-22          66856

I kinda got the feeling you were sold on the X585 and did not want to consider anything else. Hence my previous comments.

In all fairness to Art, he does make some very valid points. The X585 is a might expensive piece for what it does and what you are getting. It is a mighty nice piece of equipment too. If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest you look at and demo other similar equipment of various colors. You can only benefit from this.

If afterwards you still want the green stuff, go for it! You will appreciate it that much more. On the other hand, if you find later that you could have gotten something else that did the job as well or better, you may be kicking yourself. Obviously I prefer green, but I definitely looked at MF, NH, Kubota, even looked at Belarus! It just helped to reinforce my decision. ....

View my Photos
Mozmud

2003-10-22          66865

Have done the Demo on Kubota BX1500, JD--LX277 AWS, LX279, GT235, X485 AWS, X585. (and a few others not in this class) All nice tractors, too many to choose from.
I'm not familiar w/MF or NH. ....

View my Photos
scotd1

2003-10-22          66867

I mow about two acres of lawn, I had a JD 430 L&G for 18.5 trouble free years. This year I traded for a X595 w/ 62" MMM. I have a lot of hills, banks and tight spots to mow and this tractor handles great. It is a powerful, well built L&G tractor.
No doubt about it, it is a lot of money for a mower and I know there are alot of good mowers out there for less but I sure enjoyed my JD430 for years after I had forgotten how much I paid for it.
That's my .02 worth. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login