Go Bottom Go Bottom

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
bigoaks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-19          66566

I recently built a home on an old 30 acre ridge farm in southeastern indiana. The house sits on top of a large hill and i need to keep the drive way maintained. It's a pretty steep one. I will also be doing some bush hogging and light farming (only 1 0r 2 acres). I obviosly planned on buying a 4 wd tractor and was leaning toward a 790. My concern is that it won't be enought tractor to do the grading and snow removal. I really can't afford the 990 but if the 790 isn't enough I will have to bite the bullit. I also need some advice on the rear grader blade width. The tractor is 4.5 ft. across the back. Will a 5 ft blade cover the tracks and would a 6 ft blade be to much when you are trying to grade up hill. Also I would love some advise on Implement deals. Bush hog, box blade, rear blade ect. And what about this iMatch system? Thanks to all who respond

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-19          66567

How much snow do you have to deal with? The 790 will do everything else you have on your list.

iMatch is a quick hitch attachment for your three point hitch. The iMatch adapter mounts on the 3 point arms and the implements hook up to the adapter. It works slick as can be. With iMatch you can change implements very quickly without wrestling with pry bars and link arm alignment. If you need to change implements often I can highly recommend it. The easiest hookup is with a Top-N-Tilt kit on the 3 point. I have iMatch and Top-N-Tilt and can change implements in a minute or so without getting out of the seat (obviously if PTO is required I have to get out of the seat to hook that up).

The downside to iMatch is that not all Category 1 implements are built to the same specs. This is generally not a problem if you are buying new implements anyway. You just need to make sure they fit before you buy. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-19          66570

The 790 should meets your needs quite well. I use a Land Pride LR1584 rake for maintaining my drive way. It pretty much can keep things leveled out and can be used for other landscaping needs. A box blade still has its uses though. Land Pride & John Deere both make good impliments. Both make a solid rotary cutter. I would suggest that your best course of action is to buy as many impliments as your budget will allow along with your tractor in a package deal. You can finance all at once and the dealer is most likely to work on the price of the package that way. I would go with the 5 ft. blade, just take a smaller bite if the situation dictates, more if you can. The I-Match system makes life much easier hooking up although I have managed OK without it. I may get one later but I am fine so far without. I don't change out impilments so often as others might. As Ken says, not all impliments are I-Match compatible. I purchased all of my impliments in my profile when I bought the tractor. I wish I had bought a rotary cutter then too. I would go with either the John Deere MX5 or the Land Pride RC2660 if I did get one. You will have to go with the LX5 or RC1660 or some other smaller medium duty cutter. Do you self a favor and store you impliments out of the weather in a barn or under cover as much as possible. They will last and keep the original condition much longer as will your tractor. Anyhow, good luck with your purchase and welcome to the board! ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-19          66575

I live in upstate NY and have a 790 to maintain about 11 acres w/ some horses. I haven't used it to clear snow yet but it does everything else very well. My neighbors used similar tractors to clear last years record snows so I don't anticipate any problems. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-19          66585

The 790 is very capable for you needs, It's a little slow at ground engaging but it will surely do it. Adding weight to rear wheels really seem to help mine in my food plot work.(about 2 acers so far)It also works well leveling my road to pasture(a little over 1/8 mile)with 5 foot box blade.The 990 is a lot more tractor for sure but comes with a heavier price tag. Some times I wish I would of went with the 990, But had to learn to just slow down. After all there only compacts not ag tractors. Pretty happy with mine though. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-19          66587

The 790 will plough the snow and grade the driveway. You need weight on the rear. It should pull a 6ft blade, but can not be certain as they have reduced HP. A 6ft would be preferable as if you place the 5 on angle you have very little beyond the wheel track.
A more important question is why you want a tractor without wet brakes? I lived across the river in Cloverport KY and had a 750, the same tractor less HP. The brakes left me faint of heart more than once on my hill side.
The NH TC-30 or Kioti 3054 are in the same price range, to name 2, have additional HP and both have wet brakes. Unless the dealer is close and excellent I would consider either a 4210 or another brand. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-19          66592

I considered the Kioti 3054 and while it NOW has more HP it still has less PTO Hp and was no less expensive than a JD 790. I am fairly certain that resale OR trade-in on a 3054 will be less than a JD 790 . Parts and dealer availability where also much better for the JD. I want parts or a manual I go online, order them throught JD parts and my local dealer(2 miles) emails me when they're in.

Nothing against the Kioti, I liked the machine but for those reasons I picked the JD.

As far as the 3 HP reducton by JD I wish they hadn't done it but even with added weight you will run out of traction before power so it may not be much of a factor. I would tend to think plowing with a 6ft plow should be pretty easy and we get large snows around me.

The NH TC 30 is nice. I actually went to the dealer looking to possibly buy the TC29 but my dealer was a not very interested in making a sale so I reciprocated by going elsewhere. The TC 29 or 30 were also more dollars but the lack of interest on the dealer's part was more of a factor.

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-19          66593

Lawman,
Parts for my Kioti are no more of a problem to get than for my John Deere.
To get my hydraulic remote kits, a wheel stud I stripped, maintainance and parts manuals for my DK 35, I just called the dealer and they were delivered by mail to my front door.I never had to leave the house !!
My dealer even E-mailed me directions to install the remote kit. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-19          66594

Of course you can get parts shipped for ANY tractor. Not sure I'd want to spring for shipping on some of these bigger items though :o. What I meant was that it is nice to be abe to go 5 minutes to the dealer to get a part or to browse the JD site and get just about any parts you need.

It is a good system, they have with all the parts and implements listed by tractor or other criteria. You can pre-order any manuals or publications you might need to do a repair or service. You need to do 50 hour maintenance you go online order everything you need and the dealer emails you that all the filters and fluids or parts are in stock and you walk in and they are all ready for you. Maybe it's not real important but it's still pretty cool.

I expected to pay through the nose but the filters and fluids were no more and in some cases less than comparable third party substitutes at the local diesel parts house.

I could surely call my local Kioti dealer and see if stuff is in stock but he is still about a 40 or 50 mile trip one way. In reality I probably would get the stuff at another tractor place as I am sure they are generic replacements at elast for filters and general maintenance items.

I am not suggesting Kioti is some obscure tractor or that their product is any less reliable but the accesibility to service and parts is not the same as JD,NH or Kubota at least in my area. I like to be able to walk in with the part I just broke in my hand and say "give me one of these" :) ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-10-19          66596

I ALSO LIVE IN UPSTATE NY,MY JD 790 LIVES UP TO HAVING MORE POWER THAN TRACTION EVEN WITH LOADED TIRES !!!!!

I USE A 60 IN BOX SCRAPER WITH NO PROBELM UNTIL ONE OF SCARIFIERS GRAB A REAL ROCK,THEN DOES THE TRACTOR STALL ??,NO IT JUST BREAKS TRACTION. I DO BELIEVE JD THOUGHT THIS ISSUE OUT(WOULD YOU RATHER BREAK TRACTON OR PULL THE NOSE UP,WITH MORE WEIGHT YOU WOULD PULL THE NOSE UP: SAFTY FACTOR)

I USE A 72 IN SITREX REAR DISCHARGE FINISHING MOWER WITH EXCELLENT RESULTS.

AFTER LAST YEARS SNOW I AM GETTING RID OF MY OLD '80 F-350 4X4 WITH A 8 FT. SPEED CAST AND REPLACING IT WITH A SNOW BLOWER.MY F-350 RAN OUT OF (PUSH) AFTER THE SECOND STORM, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THREE CONSECUATIVE, WEEKLY SNOWSTORMS!!!!! I LOOKED AT JD'S 59 INCHER BUT WAS SOLD ON A ERSKINE (FRONT MOUNT),AAALLLLOTTTT BETTER BUILT, ALITTLE PRICEY,JD COULD EVEN LEARN ON THIS ONE !!!! BUT WHEN TORO GET $1500 FOR A 8 HP IT IS EASY TO PUT IT IN PERSPECTIVE!!!!

YEAH,EVERONE HAS A DIFFERNT PERSPECTIVE ON WHAT A COMPACT TRACTOR IS BUT WE SEEM TO ALL AGREE THAT 30HP IS THE MARK. I EVEN LOOKED INTO SKID STEERS, HOW-EVER AFTER THE REAL WORK IS DONE (MY) MAIN REASON WOULD BE DEFEATED, YOU WOULD HAVE A HARD TIME MOWING WITH A SKID STEER !!!!
I FELT THAT I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME.

IN REGUARDS TO THE BRAKES ON MY 790. I HAVE PULLED SOME REALY QUESIONABLE LOADS AND I TREAT MY DRY BRAKES LIKE MY BIG RIGS, THE RIGHT SPEED,THE RIGHT GEAR,GOOD ENGINE BREAKING AND BASICALY USING THE BREAKS FOR PARKING AND ROLLING .I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM YET. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-19          66606

Lawman, not everyone has a JD dealer close. The nearest one to me was about 30 miles but it recently went tits up. So now it is more like 45 miles and he has little part in stock. I don't know what the dealers bigoaks has close. The only dealer I am familiar with in his area is the JD dealer in Corydon. That is not a short drive.
Jazak, I don't expect you to have problems with your new tractors brakes. But as they are the same as the 750 I would expect them to be weak over time, The main problem I had was related to rust and pads. JD wants $100 a pad. To reline the brakes cost you $400, plus any turning required. Over my years living in the hills I reline the brakes twice on my older tractor. And still could not get them to top evenly.
If you are on a hill side although you use the engine you still need to be able to hold the tractor. Any problems I had was trying to hold the tractor on the hill.
My MF 65 for comparison has never had the brakes touched and it is more than 40 years old.

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-19          66608

Peters,
My JD 850 has dry brakes and the problem I had over the last year was the brakes got weaker and weaker till I could barely stop.
Pulled the drums and they were oil filled. The pinion shaft that the drums are attached to had the seals go bad and leak into the drums.
I replaced the seals and all is well, but the shoes need relined and I will not pay what JD wants for a set of shoes.
I may try to find just lining and drill and rivit the to the existing shoes.Its worth a try anyway.
Where John Deere came off the wall with the price of brakes shoes and lining I dont know !!! ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-19          66611

While it was not your situation I would think that 90% of tractor owners will pass several JD dealers (distance wise)before the come to a Kioti dealer. I think I have seen several posts were perspective Kioti owners have had to travel several states to get to the nearest dealer.

As far as the brakes I don't anticipate replacing them for many years. The JD parts online lists them for $61 a pad and $47 dollars a drum. Not great but it appears they are getting cheaper as I have heard others quote $100 a pad. If I go for $350 for 2 drums and 4 pads every decade I can live with that.

Wet brake would be nice but they weren't offered :) ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-20          66618

You really hear a lot of bad about the dry brakes on the 790, I have had no problems on mine yet, but then I only have around 60 hours on it. Knowing there not the best system out there I really try to use them the least amount I can also.As it has already been stated use of the right gear really aids in this.the trick is to not punish something that is known not to be all that strong. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
markhawley

2003-10-20          66640

I have over 300 hours on my 790 and have not had any problems with the brakes. I have had it about 4 years and the only non-maintenance item I have had to replace is the battery this summer. They are nice little tractors that will suprize you with what they can do.
Mark ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-20          66669

I have not had many problems with the dry brakes on my 850 other than normal wear and the seal leaking into the drums( the seals are old and needed replaced).Thats Ok ,I have no problem with that.
And the dry brakes are easy access and easy to service.
My biggest problem is with John Deeres price for replacement shoes.

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-20          66671

You used to be able to take old brake shoes down to brake reline shops who could clean them up and install new linings. It wouldn't hurt to call around. I've heard that some long haul truckers still have this done. ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-20          66674

To reply to my own post, companies that reline old brake shoes are still around. I had to check just in case it was an age thing LOL! I checked on Verizon's superpages dot com and found them under the category "Brake shoe bonding and exchanging". ....

will a 790 fit my needs

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-20          66676

I have had 2 tactors of my own that were dry brakes and 2 that are wet. There is a good reason that most of the newer tractor have wet disk brakes vs dry drum.
I had the brakes relined on the 750 the first time I worked on them and then bought JD pads the second as the frames bagan to wear.
I used the tractor loading a lot and therefore used the brakes often. I found it almost impossible to keep the brakes on the one side.
The brake cams also needed to be replace but this required replacing the whole covers at JD pricing. Ouch!!!
The tractor was 15 years old when I sold it. I sold the tractor with less than 500 hours on it.
When the Gentlemen tells me that he has a ridge farm in IN some 70 miles from my Hill Billy farm in KY. I am going to recommend that he invest in the wet brakes. If he chooses to buy the new JD line, NH, or Kioti is no matter to me. If he lived on flatter ground then the 790 would be as good a choice as any, but in that country good brakes are important.
The pricing I got from the NH dealer here for the TC-30 was with in a few dollars of what the JD dealer wanted for the 790, which is a little more than what I see listed for the Kioti. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login