Go Bottom Go Bottom

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-25          64845

I am going to be building a house in the spring on 8 acres of rolling meadows in Western Massachusetts. There will be a gravel driveway about 400 feet long with a few turns and some hills, but nothing to steep. I'm looking to buy a CUT to help with the landscaping that comes with new construction as well as finish mowing when everything is done, snow removal, and brush hogging. I'm looking for suggestions on size, MMM vs. 3 point hitch, and plowing vs. snowblowing. I don't have unlimited funds, but realize I am making a long-term investment and want to be sure that whatever I buy will suit my needs. Also, my wife is into horses so I am sure that I will be putting up fences; posthole digger will be needed as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-25          64847

My opinion is that if you're brush hogging an area of any size you'd want a 5-foot brush hog and that will need 24-25 pto hp. In the JD line that means the 4310 or larger I think. Something in the 30-32 engine hp range should do most everything you want.

MMM vs. RFM? I don't finish mow so I'll leave that to others. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-09-25          64848

I like the idea of the mid-size frame, and don't want to be undepowered, but wonder about finish mowing/driving on lawn. At the school I work at we use a Kubota L3130 with a 72" MMM to mow 10 acres of athletic fields and lawn. It's great, but when its wet there are lots of places we can't go. On the flip side, if I am going to plow snow rather than blow it, it seems a small frame tractor might not meet my needs. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-25          64849

I was thinking something in the 18 - 24 hp range which in green is 4010 to 4115 range until you threw in the post hole digger. I agree with Ken on a bit larger in this case, the 4310 is a great tractor for the money spent. This puts you in more like the 28 to 35 hp range. The 4210 to 4410 in the green color model range or the L3430 Kubota or TC35 New Holland. You may be able to find a post hole digger for the smaller range tractors but it may not be big enough to do what you want. I would suggest you compare and demo as many color tractors as you can in these model/size ranges and see what you settles in your mind. I am sure you will have more questions then but this would be a good start. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-09-25          64850

I agree, 30-40 hp tractor,FEL. I finish with a 3pt ,72 inch rear discharge with my jd 790 however jd only recomends a 4ft brush hog for my machine. After this last winter !!!! I am getting rid of my 1984 4x4 f-350 8ft fisher speedcast plow for a 59 inch JD front mounted SNOWBLOWER. RAN OUT OF PUSH !!!
LIVE IN CENTRAL N.Y. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-25          64855

I missed the unlimited funds part the first time around. The John Deere 790 and 990 are VERY nice tractors for the dollar spent provided you are not wanting hydrostatic drive trans. and on the 990 you cannot get the mid mounted pto as well as some of the bells and whistles. Again, the best advice I could give you would be to go and check these tractors out and demo them, reguardless of color. Kioti makes a nice tractor in this catagory as well. Vince seems to have the most experience with them here as far as I know. I am sure he will post his experiences when he sees this post. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-09-25          64866

i to do not have the unlimited budget most likely because of my horses. i would also suggest the jd 790 w/ a 419 loader. purchased mine last month and all i can say is what a machine. paid 13900 for it all w/ 3 year O % financing. i have bush hogged finished mowed and post holed with it so far and it performed better than i expected. i have 10 acres
w/ 9 horses so i use the bucket all the time what a joy it is to have. see my old tractor was a 1957 ford 600 and although i love it this has reduced my work load by at least 60%. i would as suggest a blower , but back to the money thing they are so expensive. i have always used a bucket and the rear blade together with good success. joe ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-09-25          64874

As far a snow removal is concerned, I've done it both ways...blade and blower. I'll take a blower any day over a blade. Here in Alaska I'd run out of places to push the snow after the first few snowfalls plus it took twice as long to do a good job than the blower. The blower spits it 40' back into the woods and that's that.

I currently do my 200' drive with 100' of parking/ramp with my JD2210 with a 47" front blower. I did it with a Craftsman garden tractor with a 42" blower before the 2210. It also did a fine job, even on the 8% grade that I have. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-09-25          64875

Looks like everyone agrees on the 30 HP size area.
For your landscaping needs I also recommend a front end loader.
4 wheel drive comes in handy.
As far as tractor brand there are a lot of good tractor brands out there.Don't get stuck on one brand,test drive several makes and models in your area and see what fits.

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-25          64878

"I finish with a 3pt ,72 inch rear discharge with my jd 790 however jd only recomends a 4ft brush hog for my machine."

They recommend the LX-4 or LX5 rotary cutters so you can use the 5 foot. I personnaly have the 790 w/ the LX5 and think any smaller would be a waste and look kinda funny as well. I am also sure it will run the 6 foot LX6 on most stuff.

The only thing that has stopped me in real b
nasty stuff was fear of nuking the cutter,the LX5 will be toast long before the tractor runs out of power. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-09-26          64879

4wd is recommended if you get a loader and/or have hills (even gentle ones). ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
plots1

2003-09-26          64880

I agree with F350, you could run a 6ft 0n the 790 as long as is is keep fair trimmed an not to overly brushy, I use a 5ft on mine an have cut some pretty thick overgrown field edges with ease. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-09-26          64885

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I have looked at (but not driven) the 790. I recently borrowed a 20 year old JD 650 to put in some fencing -- it worked great. Then, the school I work at bought a Kubota L3130 with the "click shift" transmission (GST, I think) -- what a difference! My question about the JD 790 is the operators station/tranmission. I am 6' -- I was a bit cramped on the 650 I borrowed but have lots of room on the Kubota. I don't mind shifting gears, but have only operated a loader with the GST or another friends B2910 with the Hydro -- what do people think of loader work with the manual 790? Also, what about mowing with the 790? Finally, one of the guys I talked with at the JD dealership said that there are peeople out there who are cutting the ROPS on the 790 and welding in a hinge to make it foldable. He said he couldn't recommened it, but people are doing it. Has anyone done this? I would love to be able to leave whatever tractor I buy in the to-be-built attached garage rather than in the barn (already built) which is about 75 yards from the house site. Perc tests being done on the 30th with plans to build in the spring, so while I am not in a huge rush to buy, I am ready to if the right deal comes along! ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
plots1

2003-09-26          64889

YES the 790 is somewhat cramped in the seating department, an Yes it does get to be a pita doing a lot of loader work with the trans it offers.It'works great for mowing, As far as the loader work goes, If you plan on doing extensive loader work, hydro would make this much nicer and faster. For smaller jobs it just fine. I don't think I would be cuttin and welding on rops at all! the 790 will just fit under standard 7 foot door. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-26          64893

An important question not yet asked: What portion of the 8 arces do you intend to brushhog?

If you are only going to keep a couple of acres cleared off, a 4115 with a 48 inch cutter (and a folding ROPS, and an HST) might serve just fine.

Or: Since your foot is already "kubota trained" how about a B7800 or a 2910? They have the horses to swing a 5 foot cutter and are a more modern design than the 790.

In any case, stay away from R-1 tires if you are going to push snow. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-26          64899

You're not gonna be cutting 2-3" thick stuff with a 6 foot brush hog and a 790. On the other hand, if your fields are full of overgrown grass and weeds it might do the job. Oliver, you probably knows this but look at what you are cutting then select a brush hog accordingly.

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-09-26          64900

In terms of brush hogging, there is about an acre that is cut yearly and about 5 acres that are currently hayed by a local farmer. I anticipate cutting the acre twice a year, and continuing to have the lower field hayed until I start using it for horses or whatever. My thought is that as long as I stay on top of the cutting, I can get by with less power since things don't grow up too much. In respone to Mark's comment about Kubota's, I am looking at both the 2910 and the 7800. I like them both (have never driven a 7800) but for whatever reason, when I think tractor, I think green. I was thinking turf tires (loaded) with a set of chains for the winter -- sound like a good idea? And any tractor I buy willl be 4WD. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
ksfarmboy

2003-09-26          64908

Oliver, I became the proud owner of a JD 790 a week ago and am VERY impressed with it! I bought it partly because its ROPS will fit under my 7' garage door frame with an inch or so to spare. I'm 6'1" tall, and yes getting on and off of the tractor is not as convenient as it is on the Kubota B7800 or on the fancier 4000-series JD models, but the seat is comfortable and the controls are well-placed. My ownly minor gripe is that I have to watch where my right knee is to keep from bumping the hydraulic joystick lever when I look over my shoulder to back up.

I test drove the B7800 Kubota, and certainly the hydro is nicer than the gear transmission, but for me the dealer is 85 miles away and besides I grew up with John Deeres on the farm and just wanted some "green" in my life again. The B7800 is a nice machine, but the 790 is heavier and seems to be built more like the big tractors I'm used to. Another factor is that I am used to having the dual brake pedals on the right side, not on the left side of the tractor. Although I am used to hydro pedals on my JD lawn tractor, I still prefer the dual brake pedals on the right side of the machine.

Like others have said, go for a test drive and choose from one of the great products that are out there! Good luck!

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-26          64909

Oliver,

I would think you can hire out someone to brush hog the acre area you are speaking of and as long as you cut it once a month during the growing season. Once you have walked the area and picked up any debry, you should be able to handle that area with the MMM. I keep about 8 acres this way. I may get a rotary cutter later on in the game when I get around to brush hogging some areas on a power line right of way that are over grown. The 790 or 4210 would meet your needs this way as well as any of the other color machines. Just have to sort through the pack. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
plots1

2003-09-26          64911

Your not going to cut 3inch timber or nothin but I think you might be real suprised as to what the 790 and a 5foot cutter will power through. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-26          64913

plots1, I'm sure the 790 can power through most everything my 4310 can and I'm not trying to diminish it's capabilities at all. The 790 is a great machine. I'm coming from the direction of cutting 2-3" scotch broom (VERY tough stuff) with a 4310 and 5 foot MX-5 medium duty cutter. The 4310 does it but it and the cutter are working awfully hard - I don't think the LX-5 light duty cutter would last long doing it. When the subject of a 6 foot cutter on that size machine came up I just wanted to inject a little perspective into the topic. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-09-26          64915

I'm leaning toward the 790, but need to drive one first. My initial impression is that a John Deere feels more substantial than a Kubota 2910. Again, to me a tractor is a 20+ year investement so I want to be sure to make the right choice the first time around. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
ksfarmboy

2003-09-26          64918

I test drove the B7800 the same day as the 790. The 790 certainly has a heftier feel (bigger tires, more weight, etc.) and just felt like it would be more of a match for my needs and pocketbook. The B7800 certainly was nicely finished and I liked the hydro (except for the left-side brake pedal arrangement). For me the biggest deciding factor was finding a dealer close by (10 miles for JD vs. 85 miles for Kubota). ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Billy

2003-09-26          64920

3" timber/bushes/saplings, in my way of thinking, shouldn't be cut with a CUT anyway. They make chainsaws for that.

My advice is test drive, test drive and test drive (if possible). If you find a model you're interested in, go rent one for a day ot two.

Hind sight is 20/20

Billy ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-26          64930

It's no fun using a chainsaw on an entire field of scotch broom when I can just drive over it with my MX-5! It does the job, it just has to work hard doing it. That's what I bought it for anyway, to save me work. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Billy

2003-09-26          64938

I can't argue with that, Ken. I have no idea what scotch broom is or is close to so I may be speaking out of turn here. I take it as a soft wood from the pine family?

All I know is what we have here where I live. Most soft wood is yellow pine or cedar. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-26          64939

In the pacific NW scotch broom is becoming quite a pest. It's not native and is a fast growing, woody weed plant that chokes out young evergreens. They can grow pretty high - the ones I cut down were about 5-6 feet high and a few feet in diameter and were only a couple of years old. When their seed pods pop (you can hear 'em pop) they spread thousands of seeds maybe 10 feet in all directions. They're a fairly soft wood with strong fibers. It's no trouble cutting one or two at a time, but when there's a dense field of 'em ya gotta go slow and easy. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-26          64948

Sounds as pesky as the scurge of my are SUMAC. Darn I hate those "weed trees". The grow everywhere and FAST. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
JAZ

2003-09-27          64999

NOTHING FOR NOTHING HOW ABOUT THE MID PTO 59IN FRONT MOUNTED SNOWBLOWER FOR THE 790,ANY COMMENTS BEFORE I GET RID OF MY 84 F-350 4X4 8FT SPEEDCAST ???? ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-28          65009

The new pest plant around here I just read about on the news is called 'dog strangling vine.' There's no explanation for the name in the story but it is more properly called shallow wort and it's a problem in some parts of N.Y. and Eastern Ontario.

Apparently the plan is to control it with a Russian Beetle. I'm not sure whether I hate the pests or the NR release programmes more. I've got a rare copy of a Paul McCartney LP that was recorded and produced in Moscow. Maybe I could just play music to the weeds. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
cigars

2003-09-29          65062

Oliver, another thing to consider while comparing models is loaders. Look at lift height and weight capacities. You'll find a difference with JD 790 vs 4310, don't know about other manufactures? ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-09-29          65078

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I spent some time talking with one of the local dealers (Pittsfield Lawn and Tractor) -- the salesman suggseted the 4310 or the 790. He says he is selling lots of 790s; it's the bargain to be had in the Deere lineup. I want to be able to pull a 5 foot cutter, which the 790 should be able to do without a problem. I'm looking to do some test driving in the coming weeks.

In terms of buying, assuming I have the cash can I negotiate a better price if I don't take the 0% financing? I know this is often the case with automobiles and assume that a tractor dealer also has more "wiggle room" on the price if I am paying cash -- Anyone know for sure? ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
ksfarmboy

2003-09-29          65109

My local dealer insisted there would be no advantage to a cash sale vs. the 0% financing, so I financed my 790 purchase (including loader, box blade, blade, and post hole digger) over 24 months with 0% down and 0% interest. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
bobad1

2003-10-04          65565

Oliver, I would like to steer you away from the MMM. They nearly make a dedicated mower out of your tractor. I saw a very cool multi-bladed pull-behind mower somewhere. Finish mows great, takes very little HP, and was inexpensive. Only extends 2-3 feet behind the hitch, and looked to be 5 feet wide. I have the same situation as you, and had a 29 HP blue. Enough for all my needs, but could be slow. Traded up on a 35 HP blue. Hope it's as great as my little 29 HP pit bull. Good luck, ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-07          65781

This is were bigger is better. Go with a 4310 or 4410 if you want new, used a 4400 or 955. Here is the set up you want, front loader, midmount mower, 3pt ersiken snow blower, 3pt posthole digger, 3pt bush hog. I used to live in Walpole, MA anywere you put a shovel in the ground you hit a rock, and i mean a ROCK. Your'll need the extra power to turn the posthole digger in the rocky ground. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Oliver

2003-10-24          67003

I've been lurking and reading -- still have not made up my mind yet as to what to buy. Another thought I had -- as a way of "justifying" a tractor, how helpul do people think it would be in the installation of a new gravel driveway? Or, should I hire out the installation and just look to maintain the driveway in the future? I am a school administrator, so in the summertime I have lots of free time (and I'll be building this coming summer). ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-25          67043

Here's a few not too connected ideas. Typical work on 8 acres would call for bigger unless most of it is bush. Bigger may not be great for finish mowing if a suburban type lawn is wanted. Smaller generally gets the work done but takes longer. There's lots of time in the summer and it doesn't take too long to clear 400' of drive in the winter. Some types of 3ph mowers and terrain don't make for a suburban lawn--some scalping is inevitable. Other types are better and a dealer could advise. MMM's are expensive and compromise other uses of the tractor but they generally mow better and leave less trimming.

After the first year it sounds like there'll be mowing, snow removal and hogging a couple times a year. Unless there's other work it's not going to keep a tractor real busy and maybe a dedicated mower isn't such a bad idea. MMM's aren't too difficult to remove.

Of course it depends on what building a road means but in general most compacts would be capable. It's good to keep the width of implements in mind. Both 5'& 6' implements take three passes to work a standard 14' road but a 6' implement can do a 12' road in 2 passes. An extra foot may not buy much time on a 14' road. A 4' implement takes 4 passes and it's difficult to cut crowns that are wider than a blade. The number of passes is why smaller takes longer.

It's pretty easy to over-estimate how useful a compact would be at a construction site. If cleanup up or other work affects a contractor's scheduling most aren't going to be too happy and most also want work done to their specs. The reality is that a contractor is likely to have equipment and workers on site that can do in under an hour what it'd take a compact a day or more. If travel time isn't involved, a several-day job with a compact may cost under $30.00. If you do it yourself and the contractor is involved with other jobs it may be quite awhile before he's seen again, but some contractors are happy with piece-work projects. It's good to check before the deal is signed. ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-25          67052

I think that there is some confusion of tractor sizing and pricing here. The JD790 is what I would call a larger frame tractor and of coarse a B-2910 or 7800 would feel lighter. Kubota itself tells salespersonal to compare with the L-series. The B2910 to grand L 3130DT price differnce is 60 dollars different in the Grand L's favor!!!! Yes, less money, the implements are more for the Grand L but talk about feeling like more of a tractor! ....

Size of tractor needed

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-25          67069

Oliver: I used a Kubota BX and a Deere 4100 to bulldoze raw land and install 750 feet of new gravel drive. A small machine will definitely do that job.

Click on my pics for some shots of the process. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login