Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-27          62787

I have never thought my 790 was unstable but I finally got around to turning my wheel to the "wide" position, and man is it nice. The tractor is much more sure footed. With the FEL and big loads on rough terrain you can really feel it. Much better.

Now don't ask me how it felt when I dropped the wheel trapping three fingers betwwen the axle flange and the center cutout of the rim! OUUUCCHH!:)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 stability

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-27          62788

Ouch! As the doc said, if it hurts when you do that don't do that. :) ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-28          62790

I am very glad I did the wheels, even with the mishap. The worst part was after I smashed and cut my fingers I had a tractor sitting up in they are by the crled FEL with no wheels on so I HAD to go finish.

The problem was I really needed a second set of hands, the axle kept flopping around and the rim kept slipping off that little lip on the flange before I could get a bolt threaded to hold it. Then I got the great idea of spinning the flange a little to get the holes lined up and I slipped . ....

790 stability

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-28          62798

It's probably a good thing the loader didn't leak down while you were off fixing your hand or you'd likely have much more to say. I believe I would have blocked those axles and used a bottle jack to make small height adjustments. With some luck, a wheel can be leaned against the flange and the flange still can be rotated to get one or more lugs started on top. Then, the axle can be jacked up slightly so the lower part of the wheel will go to the flange. The rest of the lugs line up with little encouragement--probably easier said than done though.

I'm fairly ouchless right now myself. Last night at fire crew training one of the guys couldn't pull start a fire pump because he got his hand mashed between a 6" limb and a log skidder. One of the hardest things in this buz seems to be keeping track or where our hands and feet are. Feet have it easy but I don't imagine steel fingered gloves would work very well for starting bolt threads.

790 stability

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-28          62812

Scott, sorry to hear of your mishap with the mashed fingers. Hope is was not too serious. I have been thinking about doing what you did with my rear tires but the owners manual (if I read it correctly & wouldn't be the first time I didn't) ;-) states that I would gain only about an inch and a half. Not really worth the effort especially in view of the fact that I have loaded rear tires. I am gonna check with the dealer about this and see what they say about how much width I would gain. I know exactly what you mean. That narrow tire width does not inspire alot of confidence on a slope does it? :-) I would love to get another 6" - a foot width. Even 4 or 5 " would be nice.

Ken, what is your take on what the manual says? I believe you have the same tires I have? ....

790 stability

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-28          62815

Chief, when I read that section of the manual I reached the same conclusion as you did, that you'd only gain an inch or two in width. The inconvenience of having the valve stems on the inside didn't seem worth it for such a small gain. To be clear for those that don't know we're talking about R4's with the non-adjustable rims here. Adjustable rims are another story. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-28          62817

Must be some sort of cosmic cop karma thing. Last year I crushed the "driving finger" on my right hand. Whacked it so hard it split open and needed 6 sutures to close it.

While I'd like to say that I feel your pain, I think I am still feeling mine, so I'll check back later :(

F350, do you have fluid in your tires? ....

790 stability

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-28          62835

Chief I have a 4400 with turfs on the stamped wheels when I reversed mine it seems like 2" each side. I'd have to look it up for sure.

2" does not not sound like much until you operate across a slope. Its a world of difference.

I do not fiddle with tire pressures it is set For a no load operation (except the weights) and left alone. The hoe squats the tires fairly well but it's not on there all day every day. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
cutter

2003-08-28          62836

You guys don't know what pain is :>! Last year I embedded my new German butcher knife into the top of my index finger, only thing that stopped it was the fact that my fingernails are tough. Still no feeling in the end of the finger. I don't brag about that one, I am a stickler for safety but thought a shortcut to save dirtying the cutting board was appropriate at the time. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-28          62842

Yeah, must be a cop thing ;)

No I don't have fluid in my tires and that's why I still have fingers!:) ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-28          62843

I don't know how much I gained but the center lines of the front and rear tires now line up and that seems to make sense from a stability standpoint. You can also see the difference when looking don from the seat.

I don't change pressure and it is still easy to check.

I have a dually pickup truck so this is NOTHING compared to getting at those rears even with the long chuck or gauge! ....

790 stability

View my Photos
cbh

2003-08-29          62850

If the 790 tractor uses wheel bolts instead of studs, I can see how it would be hard to put the wheel back on. My tractor is the same way. You could buy a couple of bolts which fit your hub (they can be cheap hardware store bolts), cut the bolt heads off, screw them in several turns by hand into the hub before putting the wheel back on. These "guide bolts" will hold the wheel in place, freeing up your hands to put the real bolts in. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-29          62855

I'm not sure if the wheels were swapped left/right or turned around. Either way will reverse the rims and put the valve stems on the inside. Turning tires around will make the greatest traction when in reverse for direction tires such as ags.

However, some people think reversed tire direction on the front is good for heavy loader work. Breaking the bucket out of a gravel pile while driving forward shifts a lot of traction to the front. There's an idea that maybe the reduced traction is easier on the front drive and maybe the greater traction in reverse is better if there's a need to back away from a pile when carrying a heavy load.

790 stability

View my Photos
cutter

2003-08-29          62857

When I lived on a private road along the lake shore, I had to plow my way in and out as the only year round resident with a 4x4. Narrow road with a ditch on one side, easy to end up in trouble. I used to run chains on the front of my plow truck during heavy storms, I could always get into a spot, just sometimes could not back out. The extra traction provided by the plow weight and front chains when backing out of spots allowed you to lessen the strain on the drive train. I figured the same would be true for a tractor/loader so I placed those same truck tire chains on the front of my TC29 when I was plowing with it. Not as marked a difference, but certainly a help. Have not had to do that with the Kubota as it has much better traction. I am unsure if the difference is due to tire brand or PSI when comparing the footprint, although I calculated that and both machines come out fairly close. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-29          62868

I flip side to side so I still have the tire rotation set for fowards. traction is good fowards or reverse for FEL work as long as I use some momentum to 'hit" the pile and time my lift. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-08-29          62893

they make flexible extensions for your dualy rears that bring them out to the same loaction as your outer wheel valve stems. makes life so easy. joe ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-29          62895

Yeah those are nice. the ones I heard of and didn't like are the ones thta turn the two stems into one stem. Sounds good, you fill/empty both the tires at once but on the other hand if the valve goes so do both tires.

I now run at about 42 lbs. and with up to 2500 (50 bales) in the bed the tires don't rub. I use to be real concerned and was always upping pressure for loads but unless I go real heavy with a bed full of material or high speed hauling I leave em if I run more pressure unloaded they wear uneven.

Your idea is good though and I really should pick some up. It is no fun fishing for that stem in the frigid temps :) ....

790 stability

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-14          66262

When i used to work at a golf course we had a 1070 with loader and hoe. The tires were set in the wide postion it was something like 7-7.5 feet wide with a 6 foot bucket. I flipped them back around when the boss wasn't around. After i had took the backhoe off to plow snow. I quit later on, they put the hoe back on in the spring and almost rolled the tractor on a hill. I guess they didn't know i flipped the turf tires around. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-18          66543

There has been much discussion on issues regarding stability issues and wrranty issues. Well I think we finally have the definitive word on this. This is from the JD 419 loader manual. Since it refers in this book to the 790 and this loader is designed specifically for the tractor it should cover all possible safety and warranty issues.

Don't know how I missed this before but anyway.

They also have an illustration with a 790 and the wheels are set wide, you can see the axle flanges clearly. the (A) points to the centerline of the front tires.

419 Loader Manual OWM48833 ISSUE 2

Page 15-3

Setting Front Tread Width

Front tread width(A) should be set to the same tread width as the rear tires whenever possible.(See SELECTING TREAD WIDTH in this section)

790 stability

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-18          66554

That's how mine are set and it does seem more stable, beings I have R-1's I could get a little more rear width by inverting ring section on wheel dish, but then I wouldn't be able to cover my tracks with brush cutter. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
MITCHC

2003-10-31          67639

I don't understand what you mean by the wide position. how do you do that? ....

790 stability

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-11-04          67956

Usually, tractor wheels are dished in one direction and unlike car wheels can be reversed on the hub so that the dish effect creates a wider track.

That means the valve stem might be on the inside, but that is a minor inconvenience. ....

790 stability

View my Photos
MITCHC

2003-11-28          69868

your wheels must be different in the U.S. My Back tire's are not dished at all. were they meet the hub is completly centered in the rim. there is no way you could get a wider stance by reversing them.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login