Go Bottom Go Bottom

problem with 4115

View my Photos
thumperdrm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-14          61868

Just picked up my 4115 on Sat. Had 2 hrs on it. Brought it home and 3-point wouldn't raise. After a few minutes, it finally would raise. 410 loader will not raise a full load to max. height. It also bleeds off even with an empty bucket. Power steering will not turn the tires on pavement when it is parked. High range HST at full throttle and full speed is making an aweful rattling noise. And last but not least, the paint on the fenders and floor boards and also under the set tin work is bubbling with rust underneath. Thought I was getting a (new) tractor. Never thought I would be disappointed with a Deere. Took it the dealer on thursday, and they are in the process of looking for a new tractor. Would still like to know what the deal is with all the problems.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

problem with 4115

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-14          61869

That sounds pretty poor. It seems that many or most of the problems you observed are hydraulics related, maybe they are traceable back to a bad pump or valve assembly. It happens. Does the 4115 separate the power steering from the rest of the hydraulics? Not sure how bad the paint was but I'm sure I could go to any new tractor of any brand on any lot and find rust and bad paint somewhere on it. They don't seem to strive for the paint finish that's expected on a new car.

problem with 4115

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-14          61870

thumperdrm,

Glad to see you made it back. Sounds like your dealer is trying to do right by you if they want to replace the tractor. When I worked at a John Deere dealer (about 23 years ago), I had seen JD 410's come in with trans sumps and filter just loaded with metalic flake from the hyd. pump crapping out. It would stop up the filters, cylinders, and all the control valve blocks and just make a mess. The hydraulics would behave like you described last night. We had to pull the pumps and rebuild them, pull the loader and hoes control valve blocks, disassemble them, clean them out, replace seals, and reassemble. Not to mention change oil, filters, etc. Even then we still had problems with these machines. It is a big PITA to rid the systems of contamination like that. In your case I think I would want the new tractor. I would not want something that has already started off on the wrong foot and been torn apart and may be prone to more future problems. Failures like this can happen for any number of reasons. Again it sounds to me like your dealer is doing right by you. Hopefully he can find another 4115 or in this case if you had doubts about whether you bought a big enough tractor; now might be a time to possibly move up to a 4210 or 4310. In any case, hang in there. I have a feeling your dealer will take good care of you. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-14          61871

By the way, it sounds like your dealer may have done a poor job on the pre-delivery checks. They should at least have checked the 3ph operation, and I would think that would have given them a clue. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-15          61879

I love you guys! Chief sorry for all the problems you had when working at the dealer! Looking at it from the other side I guess that's job security. I guess that's why we sell what we do. If we had one in one hundred like what you talked of chances are we would cancel our contract or I'd have to get out of the buisness!! I would say it more then likely was a left over or one from a dealer that didn't want to take the time to fix what chief has found in other ones. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-15          61891

Art, I should have made clear that most of the units we got in like I was eluding to were out of warranty although we did get the occasional newbee. His dealer may have traded for that tractor and the problems did not occur while they had it. In any case, it sounds like they are trying to do right by him now. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
thumperdrm

2003-08-15          61914

thanks guys for all your input. I think the dealer will try to make it right. I'll keep posted if I find out the problems. As for the paint, it was bad enough to where in a few months I would have a rust bucket. I garage keep my equipment, and take pride in my machinary. If it were used that's one thing, but it wasn't. It cost more than a car, why shouldn't it look as good as one? ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
ralphroot

2004-09-02          95418

I just took delivery of a 4115 with a 60in belly mower and 410 FEL. After 50 hours, I am having an issue with the power steering not working when the tractor is standing still. It actually started at about 20 Hrs. You indicated in your first posting that you were having a similar problem. What did the dealer do to fix it??? My dealer is giving me trash that JD corporate is telling them I do not have enough ballast in the rear wheels. Just doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else have a 4115 with this issue and what what was done to fix. thanks in advance,

problem with 4115

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-02          95428

There is some credence to the argument. If you have turfs or R-4s, especially if you are running on hard surfaces, the steering will feel real stiff.

The first 4115 I test drove had an FEL, turfs and no ballast. It steered like a truck on asphalt but Ok on grass.

I have a 4115 now with lots of rear ballast and the only time I get real stiff steering is when the load in the FEL gets too heavy.

Have you considered removing the FEL while mowing? ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-03          95435

I think there's some fluffy language from the dealer/corp. Most people would think that 'weight on the wheels' means loaded tires or wheel weights. That type ballast doesn't change the steering much. Weight carried on the 3ph is still on the wheels I suppose but it does lighten the steering.

Most PS steering systems have an adjustable relief valve. If the problem just suddenly appeared the relief pressure might be checked. It's also possible that the problem is there when no 3ph implement is mounted and not there when one is mounted. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
ralphroot

2004-09-03          95480

Several answers to points above: I am running with Turf tires and they are filled with a liquid. I know it is not sodium chloride, my quess is an alcohol based liquid. I generally mow without the FEL. I must say it is really easy to remove and replace. The steering problem appeared to come on gradually as I did not notice it when I took delivery. Not having owned a real tractor before, I asked the dealer if the pwr steering was supposed to be just like a car and they said yes. Is the steering really supposed to be that easy? A point was made above that their steering was very hard on asphalt but generally easy on grass. If they don't fix the issue, I will see if I have the same results. Hadn't every noticed.
Thanks for all the responses so far. I will keep all informed as to the results. Still waiting for the one person out there who had the problem and reports what was done to fix it.
Thanks,
ralphroot ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-03          95545

Low tire pressure in the front tires? Low RPMS? I'm sure you have thought of and checked these. I sometimes grab my wheel to turn with a front load on pavement and feel like I just grabbed the wheel of my Grandma's '62 Bel Air, even the slightest beginning roll from a static position, or a slight bump to the RPMs turns a real heavy pressure into a completely effortless turn. I always figured it was a function of trying to push a static load versus one in motion. Physics 101. BTW, you can add tighter orrifices to your hydraulics to slightly increase your pressure. Just make sure your dealer does it if you are under warranty. Pete ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
ralphroot

2004-09-05          95622

Pete,
Yes, you are right, I have checked all the items you mentioned. But what I haven't done is the simplest test of all. I should get on another new 4115 at the dealers and see if it has the same issue. Is it possible that my dealer could be wrong when they said it should steer like a car? (they have been in business for over 40 years) I have the tractor back from the dealer to take care of the weekend/holiday chores. When they come and pick it up on Tuesday, I will mention the replacement of the pump orifice with a smaller ones. Thanks for the additional information.
Ralph

problem with 4115

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-09          96055

Was there enough oil in the reservoir/tranny?! ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-09          96098

Why the fluid in the front? With a loader? Duh! ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-10          96129

Ralph, are your front tires filled with fluid? ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-10          96139

I don't have a Deere but my Cadet begins to stir hard when my Hydro filter begins to clog. Once it begins to clog, sometimes it collapses. At that point the steering gets real hard and the tractor speed is slow. Steering should be with one finger with an empty loader on any surface. With full bucket steering should be slightly more difficult but not by much. ....

problem with 4115

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-10          96183

I don't think Ralph said he was running fluid in the front tires. He was addressing the issue/question about rear ballast as it might relate to steering effort with a load on the front end. No "Duh"s necessary if you read the thread back a page, or so. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login