Go Bottom Go Bottom

EZ-Weight question - Mark

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-03          60848

Mark, I think you have or had a set of EZ-Weights. In a search I found a comment you read that you had 150 lbs per tire using EZ-Weights on your 4100. Is that the maximum weight they can hold? If I drain my loaded tires I am guessing that I'll lose about 300 lbs/tire (I may be wrong).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-04          60896

Yes I have a set and they are on the new tractor. I stopped at 150# per wheel because Deere recommends 180# per wheel and 150# fits nicely inside the wheel recesses.

Art has commented on this and I will say the same: 150 pounds of weight on the wheel gives me more traction and stability than an equal amount of liquid weight in the tire.

The EZ weight system is more than strong enough to hold more weight and I am thinking you can use 50# plates in your wheels without any difficulty.

You might be pleasantly surprised what 200# of weight (on each wheel) and reduced tire pressure will do for your traction problem.

Call them. They are very helpful on the phone and they answer their e-mail. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60904

What is the largest size/heaviest weight plate this system will allow you to use? The John Deere weights prices wise are in the stratosphere. About $475 for 215 lbs. worth. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-08-04          60907

My new 4115 has 16.5 inch wheels and 50 pound weights will fit in the wheel recesses. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-04          60922

Thanks for the info, Mark. One issue I'm struggling with is cheaposity on my part - I don't want to pay money to unload the tires which I paid to get loaded already! Maybe I'll wait 'till I get my first flat. In the mean time I plan on ordering a set of EZ-weights and shopping for weight plates at the nearest Play It Again Sports.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60939

I would use the term thriftiness! It is a Scotish genetic trait. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-04          60940

Since I have German heritage, maybe the word frugal would apply. Is that German? Or maybe pfennig pinscher.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60941

Ken, in that case, it would be sparsampt or geizig. I think I have the spelling right. My wife is German. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-04          60944

Mark et al.
I think the stability is better with the loaded tires as the CG if 1/2 filled is below the center of gravity.
The traction is better with the wheel weights as the tires are more flexible place more rubber on the ground.
The paddy plodders normally run with the wheel weights. In NA we normally ran with loaded tires.
Peters ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-04          60945

If me remembers right Plots made a set. Used BIG truck brake drums bolted right on and could still get to the lug nuts.

I have a set of hub pilot drums from a 24.5 wheel size and I am sure they would bolt right into my 4400 turfs. Really do not need any more weight cause JD had to throw in a full set of weights with the deal :-). Lotta talking and dealing there...

Any heavy duty truck repair would have them laying there and no telling how cheap. Mine are free from shop. Scrap dealers really are not turned on by them. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-04          60949

Chief, my memory is shot - a major case of CRS. I had two semesters of German in high school, oh so many years ago, but I can't remember much of it. sparsampt or geizig? Never heard of 'em but the odds are your wife knows better than I :)

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60951

sparsampt is a nice way of saying thrifty and geizig is a hard core penny pincher. :-) I probably have the spelling all pooched up. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-06          61058

Harvey you are correct,the drums I used are around 120lbs apiece .And as you stated most big truck repair shops have several pairs laying around and are mostly glad to get rid of them for zero cost.They were a big plus in added traction on my machine for next to nothin. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login