Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
G. Montgomery
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-06          58989

I found a 1989 John deer 650 4wd with turf tires. It has 120 howers on it. It has a 4' John deer Bush Hog, a 4' John deer Rotarym tiller, a John Deer 4, Box blade, and a John deer 4' set or harrows. Is 6'000.00 to much to pay?
all of this equipment has beer in a barn and looks new.

Thanks, George

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Maynard

2003-07-06          58996

Sounds like a deal to me. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-07-06          58997

If the hour meter is correct,for a 14 year old tractor that is only 8 1/2 hours per year average.
Sure seems like low hours for the age. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
G. Montgomery

2003-07-06          58999

Thanks guys, I will buy it tomorrow. Is a 650 strong enough to pull a 5' finish mower on grass that is not very high?
George ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-07          59013

The 650's use a two cylinder engione which leaves them vibrating a lot. That is there biggest down fall. The price is right for the hours and the equipment but try it out a little before you buy. Start it, listen to it, drive it! Make sure that it isn't just a low price that has you excited but that it is a good deal and something that is no sacrafice the right tractor for you. I don't look forward to having those as trade ins as they are tougher to sell. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2003-07-07          59100

Art gave some good advice.

JD 650 have a funny sound to them that is like no other compact I have heard. I guess it's because of the tw cylinder engine. My 650 had a 60in (5ft) belly mower. It had plenty of power to run it. In fact, I now have a 60in belly mower on a zero-turn with a 25 hp kohler gas engine. The JD650 had more power to cut through the tall stuff.
Good luck

Jerry ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
G. Montgomery

2003-07-08          59107

I bought the 650 for $6000. It also had a large wagon besides the rest of the equipment. The bush hog and the harrows have never been used. The paint is shine and unscratched on the two attachments. This is a neat little machine. I still wonder if a 5' pull behind finish mower
can be used on this tractor.

Thanks for the help friends!

George ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-08          59112

I looked in the Landpride site to check the HP ratings for their 5' grooming mowers. The bottom end of ranges for most models is 15hp. I think a 650 is rated at 14 pto hp so it would be on the light side, although other manufacturers may have lower hp recommendations.

Irrespective of manufacturer ratings a 650 likely would power most 5' mowers, especially if the grass wasn't too heavy and the ground speed is kept low. Jerry says his worked fine. However, mowers that are big for a tractor are harder on the pto drives. If I had a choice and the rear tires are narrower than 5' then I'd probably think about a bit smaller one. I believe there are some between 4' and 5'. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-08          59114

I've taken them in and run the 650. They will run a 60" mower without much trouble. To me they are like some of the older Kubota B-series like the 6200 that would run a 60"deck without trouble. I often find the horsepower ratings a little decieveing when trying to figure what goes with what. Some companies give very conservative numbers and some I think just use the other companies rating to stay in the market place. Some companies I think have been working off the engine horsepower instead of pto for a number of years. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2003-07-08          59116

I dug out the original product sales brochure for my 650. The implement section lists the 650 as being compatible with a JD model 261 rear finishing mower. This mower had a 5ft cut. The JD model 272 rear finishing mower with a 6ft cut is also listed as compatible. Well, that's what the book says. You be the judge. ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2003-07-08          59118

Also, I sold mine about a year ago. I thought it was a great machine. I just wanted a new one. I got $5,200 for mine. It had turf tires, 60in belly mower, Dozer blade, 4WD, Tire chains, 2600 hours!!

Jerry ....

John Deer 650 4wd

View my Photos
G. Montgomery

2003-07-10          59314

Thank You all form your response. I will get a 60" finish mower for the tractor. I am mowing a cemetery so the grass is never high. I really appreciate the input.

George...................... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login