Go Bottom Go Bottom

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
gwilliford
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-16          57813

I recently purchased 155 ac.About 20ac are open. I need a tractor for light to heavy mowing. Also possibly heavy bush hogging in the wooded areas. Also some misc loader work. I know little about tractors. Have been looking at basic JD 790 30hp vs. deluxe 4210 28hp or 4310 32hp. I have also looked at the Kubota 3000DT 32hp vs. Grand L 3130 32hp.All would be 4wd. Some of my questions are:
1. The 4210 will handle only a 5ft. bush hog.With 20ac. how much time would I save with a 6ft bush hog?
2.Is the hydrostatic transmission worth the money in convinence and performance?
3.Is the imatch a good option?
4.Are other deluxe features such as cruise control,intellipanel,etc. just gadgets or do they make the tractor more productive or safer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-16          57815

1. 5ft vs 6ft, theoretically the 6ft would be 16.6% quicker.

2. Hydro tranny, it depends on you. Some like them and some don't care for them. Myself, I've had both gear and hydro. I wouldn't want to go back to gears.

3. imatch, If you have imatch compatible implements it can make your life much easier. Myself, I only have one implement that is compatible so I opted for the telescoping draft links.

4. Cruise control, I have but very seldom use it. It's something I could take or leave. Load Match does come in handy on the eHydros. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
17ACRES

2003-06-17          57821

IMHO, buy the largest 4WD tractor you can afford, especially with that many acres. I have a JD4510 and I wonder at times if I have enough tractor. I have a JD MX6 rotary cutter and the 4510 is the smallest tractor recommended for this 6ft cutter. For me, I just couldn't justify the money for the "Bells and Whisles" of a 4610 or 4710. With that said, I would have chosen a 4710 if money had not been an object. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-17          57825

If you are not going to tow it get the biggest you can afford. The most common mistake is to buy too small. If you are starting from scratch with implements and intend to buy either JD or Frontier the iMatch is great and saves time. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
TomG

2003-06-17          57827

Whacking heavy bush may be a one-time job and the best cutter for doing the job may not be the best one for the on-going work. Cutters for medium and heavy duty cutting (generally meaning saplings over 1" takes a lot of HP and the cutters for them are generally less than the rear tire widths. You also might end up a too narrow cutter or with a tractor larger than needed for on-going work. Some useful deluxe features may be sacrificed to get the price into the budget range.

It might be good to look at the recommended HP ranges for light, medium and heavy-duty cutters and plan accordingly. Of course, some heavier cutting with light duty cutters can be done but the going is pretty slow and it might damage the cutter.

It might make sense to think of heavy-duty clearing as a one time job and think more about a tractor that's best for the on-going work. Heavy-duty clearing can be contracted out. For doing it yourself, larger saplings in an area can be taken out with a brush saw and then the rest cleared with a light duty cutter.

What ever is done, you have to think about walking or driving over what's left. Sharply cut sapling stumps will sure puncture many tires or shoes. You can take out small stumps below ground level with a brush saw even if it's a little hard on blades but chain-saws won't work. Unless clearing is a very large area, a brush saw is likely going to cheaper for a one-time job than doing it with a tractor.

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-17          57831

What's a brush saw ? ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-17          57833

There are some things to consider with the potential of mowing the twenty acres. I would say to look at the mx5000 Kubota with a loader or the L-4300 as a good buy for your work with the bush-hog 84" twin spindle. I do believe that you should be looking at two differnt units between finished lawn and the back forty. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57840

Doc, this is a brush clearing saw. I have an FS 450K. These things work great and can take down sapplings up to 5 inches. They can use a variety of cutting heads. Just a little on the heavy side for weed whacking. ....

Link:   The Big Hammer

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-17          57841

gwilliford, as far as compact tractors and what you are outlining your intended use for; I would have to say go large as well. Heavy brush cutting requires HP..... no escaping that. If you want a simple, no bells and whistle but very good tractor to handle the tasks you outlined. I would suggest the John Deere 990 MFWD. The 4710 ehydro should you want all the goodies. The 4710 comes with basic cruise control with ehydro and you can opt for automotive cruise control. I use cruise control when I am rototilling. It makes a great creeper drive with the ehydro. Motion match is a very nice feature which firms up or softens tractor movement engagement rate. Is particularly nice in tight spots and when you need a soft touch. Load match is another great feature which modulates the ehydro in order to maintain engine rpm. Nice with loader work and really steep hills. There are alot of good rotary cutters out there so you need to go compare and research track records. If you are set on a rotary cutter with green paint, I would suggest the 609 or 709 HD rotary cutter. VERY expensive but major heavy duty. You also need to consider tires. In your case probably the R-1 Ag tires would be fine but in you intend to do any finish mowing, the R-4 industial tires are a good compomise. (I have these tires on my 4410) The I-match system is nice if you are frequently R&R-ing impliments, otherwise you may find that it is not normally that much hastle to install the impliment in the standard fashion. You may want to also consider the 4610 as dropping back 4 hp will save you about $2,200. My personal preference would be for the 4710 ehydro as the ease of operation (no shifting) two foot pedal operation. To be fair to yourself, you need to get out there and test operate any other models or brands you think you might be interested in and compare and then make your choice. Obviously, I am green inclined but Kubota makes a great tractor as well. My father has had bad experiences with New Holland as I have seen with many others. But these were not compact tractors. I feel John Deere has the better support and logistics as far as parts, service, etc. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-17          57842

Chief, I actually have an FS 85 that I primarily use around the house. I bought one of the steel blades a couple of weeks ago. I just never heard them called a brush cutter. I guess I had high hopes there was some new giz I didnt know about to make it faster. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-17          57867

I agree with all here , go as big as you wallet will let you . with that much land you never know what you might want to do, and you don't want to have to small of unit when you start brain storming.with 2o acers to mow I'd probly be looking at something with aleast 40 hp,larger if you can swing it. ....

Basic vs Delux Model

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-06-18          57913

I agree with going with as much hp as you can afford. I bought the JD 4610 4WD with ehydro (for wife), loader, 6'MX6, and imatch and wouldn't change a thing, except maybe going even larger. I only have a few acres to mow/brush hog and I use every hp. If you are going to use it for any logging work you will really appreciate the size. I have been clearing and using the 3pt hitch to pull stumps. If you are planning on doing that kind of work, go at least 40 hp. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login