Go Bottom Go Bottom

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DSt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-10          57284

I've had a 2210 for a month or so now, and have really been impressed with it, with one exception: the grill screens tend to get covered over very easily when mowing really tall, dry grass (which we're afflicted with here in south Texas). That leads to overheating, unless I stop and clear the screens every few minutes. I've invested in a modified push broom that I can now use to clear the side screens from the seat, but I only came up with that after a particularly hot day when I suddenly noticed the high temp light lit up and heard the coolant in the reservoir boiling. I immediately stopped and cleared the screens, and the temp light went out after a minute or so, but the engine could have been in that overtemp condition for anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. So, here are a few questions:

1. What do I need to check/replace on the engine after having run it with the high temp light on? I've already added the coolant that was boiled off (a cup or so) and checked the oil.

2. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket temperature gage I could install myself, or do you think the dealer could add one? I really prefer a gage over just the warning light.

3. Any suggestions on ways to improve the airflow on tractors like the 2210 that are so close to the ground?

Thanks, y'all!
Dan Starling

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
jd2210
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-10          57286

I agree, the amount of grass that accumulates in the front screen is a "pain" and I can't think of anything you could do except build/fabricate a cowl which point directly up to eliminate the problem. One thing you might try (of course most people want to mow when it's dry) is to cut right before day break and take advantage of the morning moisture. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-10          57292

If you are worried about the over heating then you need to check the cylinder compression pressure and pressure test the cooling system.

I am sure that there is an after market temp. gauge. I might add a siren to make sure your hear it rather than see it. This was something we used on marine apps.

I would run with the FEL on and lower it so that it bent over the tops before they hit the rad screen. Not sure what to do without, but maybe even suitcase weights might bend over the tops enough. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-10          57293

My 2210 suffers from the same affliction, picking up leafs and dry fern or any thing else in the woods. I think you already have the problem licked knowing that you have to watch the screens and keep them clean. I dont see why you would need another guage knowing the cause of the problem and how to correct it but I certainly would rather have guages as well Vs the dummy lights. If it were me and the machine had overheated to that extent I would top off the coolent, Check the air filter and personally I would change the oil just to be safe. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-10          57303

Ditto on what doc said, and use a synthetic on that oil change. Cheap insurance and nothing, repeat nothing, on the market handles heat like a full synthetic oil. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-11          57324

I think I would get a gauge so I would have more warning and the engine would not start boiling before I knew something was wrong. Idiot lights are just that, and cannot replace a good analog gauge for things like temperature or oil pressure indicators.

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-11          57334

WalMart sells Shell Rotella T, a multi-vis full synthetic that is specifically designed for diesel engines and also exceeds all established specs for gas engines.

The current price is $12.88 a gallon. I am stocking up. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-11          57372

Mark, thanx for the tip I had no idea Rotella was a synthetic. Here at Wally World it is 19.88 a gallon so at that price I would stock up too ! ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-13          57463

On the BX Kubota they blow air from the operators compartment across the engine and out the front of the tractor. It is nice on hot days not to have the hot air from the engine blowing back on the operator and it does help to keep this type of problem from happening. Maybe you could turn your fan around and do the same. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57481

Art, simply reversing the fan would still draw air in from the sides seemingly still resulting in the same problem as the fan is mounted in front of the engine. The Kubota deseign is no doubt a solid one. I assume they do this for just that reason. conversly It would seem the JD argument would be that the Kubota is not drawing clean air. A true debate for the engineers. Both motor companys have got a long track record but it really seems a by-product of makeing a small tractor even smaller. We really have to classify theese as Sub-Cuts. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-13          57489

Yep sub-compacts.

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-13          57491

OK. I don't care much which title you use.

But if the the BX's and the 2210 are subs, then the 4100 series, the three smallest Boomers, the Kubota 7400,7500,2410 and the Kioti 1914 and CK 20 are sub-compacts too.

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57497

yes I would agree. Kubota even advertises the BX series as Sub compact. The only reason I mention it is as we take a tractor and make it smaller, and in the case of the 2210 we use much smaller front tires as opposed to the CUTS we put the whole unit closer to the ground. In the case mentioned above this causes some problem with intake air. JD and kubota both deal with this differently in so far as the fan is concerned. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-13          57513

I know what you are saying, but I don't think the height of the tractor is an issue.

It occurs to me that the screens are doing their intended job and keeping the chaff out of the radiator. I think this is extreme sort of mowing that would be hard on any tractor, and even worse if it clogged the radiator instead of the protective screens.

The stock front tires on my 4100 were 22 inches tall putting the mid point of the front axle at 11 inches.

The stock tires on a BX or a 2210 are 18 inches tall and that puts the mid point of the front axle at 9 inches off the ground.

Does any one really think that raising the radiator 2 inches will prevent the screens from clogging? ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-13          57516

I would certainly agree that in extreme conditions the screens would plug faster. I does seem to me at least the higher they are the longer they would go without plugging under normal operating conditions, or at least for my operating conditions. 2" is a pretty fair amount of height. Haveing said that I am speaking theoretically and I am certainly not going to debate it with some one who has had both machines. I find mine picks up a fair amount of material but I also think that is normal for the machine and is really just a part of basice maintenance. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-13          57522

Try tilling up chicken liiter with feathers in it. Talk about stopping up the outside grill screens. I've done found out to keep a brush handy to sweep them off the front and side grills. Do this with the engine off or the fan just keeps sucking them up against the screens. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-14          57585

What is "clean air" ? Back in the seventies when IH enclosed there hoods on tractors and blew the air out the front of there farm tractors, they found that it lowered the temperature on the lower quarter windows by 25 degree's on an 80 degree day. Not a bad move when you are trying to keep it cool by running the air conditioner. When I'm mowing I don't need any extra hot air blowing on me. I guess it's just one of those little added features some brands offer. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-14          57586

sounds like the the subs are not ideal for mowing over grown area's maybe have to mow more often so as to keep it out of the grill. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-14          57595

I guess that we won't be including the Kubota BX as a sub than if that statement is true. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-14          57597

What I was saying is that if you have a lower riding machine you might want to mow more often , not trying to say it won't do it or nothin, just sounds like you'll be on and off the tractor a bunch i'f you get into tall stuff. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-14          57598

Certain companies get a better idea and stick with it, not considering the newer alternative. The plugging of side screens and front screens are a problem even on larger JD tractors. Certainly reversing the air flow is an alternative especially on a diesel that runs so much cooler than a gas engine.
Art, how does Kubota control dirt in the air entering for the rear of the rad? ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57602

Just to be clear on what Art is talking about... on a BX the radiator is between the operators knees.

The first impression you get looking in the engine compartment is that the whole engine/radiator assembly was installed backward.

It pulls air from under the steering wheel, over the battery, through the radiator, over the engine, across the muffler and out the front grill.

This design contributes to the visual perception that the BX is a large lawn mower instead of a small tractor. To accommodate the above design the hood is hinged at the front and is shorter than a normal tractor hood.

Even though both tractor engine compartments house 3 cylinder engines and the same "stack" of components, the hood on my 4100 measures 40 inches long and the hood on the BX tapes out at 25 inches. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-14          57614

Peters, they don't have a problem there. If they had a problem the thoughts of having to operate one in that bad of conditions would make me slow down so I could see anyway. Then the problem of dirt or weed seeds would diminish. This is not a new problem with the radiator grills building up with junk while mowing or traveling across fields it is a old problem. It's been around the farm for decades. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-14          57621

Art;

I have had two JD CUT tractors and both had problems of clogging screen when cutting high weeds. I have a FEL therefore found it was deminished the collection by lowering the FEL to push the weeds over.

I have used larger JD's and had to stop and clean mud and weeds before.

Having not looked closely at the BX22 I was not sure of the set up. I think Mark explained it very well. You are covered with crud before the rad. so you will likely slow down. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-14          57626

I've never had a problem with the screens clogging while mowing or hogging.

Actually even when they get clogged with the finer chicken feathers, it never has run hot.

I was over at a friends workplace last year. The owners wife pulls up on this small Kubota (could have been a BX2200...had a FEL, don't know) Anyway, it was running hot. Neither one of us could find the hood latch. I finally found it up by the steering wheel. Opened the hood (the wrong way) and thought, this radiator is in the wrong end...LOL. Come to find out, it was all clogged up. Cleaned it up and run water over the radiator until it cooled off a little. Added some water and sent her on her way.

Moral of the story is, they'll all clog after a while. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57630

With the hood latch under the steering wheel it would have been a BX something.

Actually, in re-reading my post, I should have said the battery lies between the operators knees, but the effect is the same. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-14          57657

Art, I would say dirty air is air that is drafted into the radiator with debris. I am not knocking kubota at all. It just seems there are two schools of thought each with their own draw backs. How does the Kubota stop from picking up debris when drawing the air that way ? New problem or or old it just seems to me at least to lie somewhere in the maintenance zone. I cant speak for others but even with a front mounted fan there is no hot air blowing on the operator at least that I notice on my machine. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-14          57665

Doc, it actually goes the other way. It pulls from the operators station and exhausts out the front grill. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-15          57667

mark, I understand what you are saying. The part I am missing is how this is any better In reference to occasional cleaning or maintenance. If I understand correctly the Front mounted fan draws air through the radiator and blows it rearward across the engine. In the rear mounted version It draws the air in through the radiator and blows it forward across the engine. In the Kubota when you are in conditions resulting in drafting Dirty air, Chicken feathers dirt, dirt, dust pollen, leafs etc. Are you not just as likely to plug the radiator cooling fins as the the sceens on the Jd or do you have a screen in your intake as well ? ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-15          57713

Both of my tractors have intake screens protecting the radiators.
I don't mow and if I did the conditions would be less severe than those described in the original post. I routinely check my screens but they have never required cleaning.

If I had to hazard an educated guess I would say the BX design might give you more time between screen cleanings but only because the air intake grill is not actually coming in contact with the grass.

It would still suck up floating chaff, but you could clean it while you are driving because the initial intake grill is pretty fine and is located right below the steering wheel. There is a second, even finer screen in front of the radiator.

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-16          57736

Doc, how many chicken feathers do you have on the floor of the tractor while mowing? How much weed seed from the grasses heads do you find there? Now think of the front of the tractor and the fact that nearly every grass or weed head is going to hit the front of the radiator grille and the weed seed, chicken feathers and what ever else is going straight into the radaiator screen. Just look around your legs while mowing and see how much debris you have. It's just a small sales feature that has been around the industry for thirty or so years. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57737

Art, actually for my conditions I do have a fair amount of crud that winds up there. No chicken feathers But from what I remember they are pretty darn light and fly all over the place when disturbed. At first reading this I was assumeing that the Kubota deseign was drafting air from underneath. Thats why I ask questions. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-16          57743

Nobody pulls air from below the tractor that I'm aware of that would have little or no benifit. I doubt that the amount you are getting on the deck area that would be able to be picked up from the fan would even begin to match the front grile of a tractor with a fan pulling it with the front axle and the front of the tractor knocking it off. ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-16          57749

Does kubota use this intake/Fan system on all of their tractors ? ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
scuddlebuster

2003-06-18          57973

DO NOT ever clean, sweep, or brush off your side screen with your engine running. The screen will act like a cheese grate and grind the material into very small parts that will go right through and plug your radiator.

It kind of sounds like what you might have done.

Ed ....

Overheated 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-19          57992

Doc, they don't use it on all. It is most used on lawn mower type tractors. Many gas engines fans on lawn mowers do it as well as the water cooled engines. It does help but there is no perfect solution at the right time of the year. It is rare to plug this type system even with eight straight hours of mowing but it does happen. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login