Go Bottom Go Bottom

Change hydraulic fluid at 50 hrs

View my Photos
Shawn in OK
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-21          5362

OK. After reading posts here, everyone seemed to agree it was a good idea to change out the hydraulic fluids and filters after the first 50 hrs at the same time as changing engine oil. Sense I have a hydro, I figured this made sense and made my way to the local dealer. When I told him what I wanted to do, he looked at me like I was from Mars, and basically said if I want to waste my money it's my business. Now, $86.00 later, I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I have no problem investing $86 to prolong the life of a $13,000 tractor, but am I wasting my money?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mike

1999-06-21          5365

No, you are not wasting your money but your dealer is wasting your time and possibly some tractors transmissions in the process. Have him read the owners manuel. The part for the 50hr. service is for good reason. ....

View my Photos
Frank

1999-06-21          5371

OK, page 124 of my 4200 manual says change transmission oil every 500 hours of operation. Same with front axle (page 122). It says to check front axle level every 50 hours and gear transmission oil level every 10 with the sight glass. Check engine oil every 10 hours and change engine oil and filter after first 50 hours and then every 200 hours of operation. I cannot find where it suggests that you change transmission oil and filters at 50 hours of operation. If your dealer is reading from the same manual, maybe that's why he thought you were from Mars. I do not know what manual the others are reading from but sure would like to know where they find information that causes them to reduce the manufacturer's recommendations by 90%. That's like changing car oil and filter every 650 to 750 miles. Keep those oil companies in business. ....

View my Photos
Alan

1999-06-21          5376

My Kubota manual says to change engine oil, filter, transmission oil and filter at 50 hours. It is an HST (2710). ....

View my Photos
greg h

1999-06-22          5387

the manual for my new 4310gst states that 50hr oil, filter, transmission oil and filter changes are mandatory! after that it is 400 hours on trans. and 100 on engine. ....

View my Photos
Shawn in OK

1999-06-22          5394

My manual is exactly like Frank's. I know my dealer has sold several 4000 series JD's since they have become available, and I'm the first one to ever ask for a new hydraulic filter. They have never even had one in stock and had to special order it! So, I get to go back again and have the counter guy double check me to see if I have pointy ears or antenna in the back of my head. ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-06-23          5437

I think after reading the post that Deere manuels don't recommend a 50 hr. trans. service and kubota does. It would be wise whether you have a Deere or Kubota to service at 50hr to get rid of the break-in garbage. Those hydros are mass $$$ and if you plan on keeping it the rest of your life it would be well worth it. ....

View my Photos
Frank

1999-06-23          5445

Mike, I have to assume that the manufacturer knows what it's talking about (that's why I bought the tractor from them (Deere) not someone else). It would not surprise me that the Deere hydro does not have a problem with break-in garbage as some other manufacturer's tractors might have. Perhaps Deere requires the hydro manufacturer to do something that some others do not. Perhaps they have a better filtration system. If Deere says a change of filters and fluid is not needed for 500 hours, I'm not going to cut their recommendation by 90% to throw money away. And, unless the service is actually needed, you have just flushed your money down the drain. If they want the engine oil changed at 50 hours, why don't we do it at five hours instead? It's the same principle. ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-06-23          5449

Frank it is normal for ANY new tractor Deere, Kubota etc. to have an incredible amount of contaminates from the gears trying to "seat in" or find their place in life--Mostly the first few hours. I just thought it would be wise to change it anyway at 50hrs. as a precaution on a $20,000 unit. Not all manuels give out sound advise. For example--my JD 870 manuel says 2+ quarts for the front diff.---it took almost 6. It seems like every new rig have have bought the last 30yrs. the manufacturers recommended an early change in all fluids to get rid of the breakin garbage. I guess Deere could be different??? But my common sense tells me to change at 50hrs. anyway. Just my .02 cents. ....

View my Photos
Tannenwald

2000-10-29          20991

Am I understanding that people with Deere manuals have manuals saying two different things?

I happened to find this thread today after my (summer 1999) 4300 HST with 202 hours seems to have lost most of its transmission fluid. It is stuck on the front lawn now. This started with a trickle last night, after which I immediately parked it on the lawn. Now, if you turn the engine over, transmission fluid leaks like a river from an area just behind the radiator, and possibly from other areas. I mean a LOT of fluid. My manual says to change it at 500 hours. What do you think the issue is? ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-10-29          20997

Sounds like you had a line break or come loose. The followingpost gives the details on the 50 hour change. Chris

Mike S. 2000-02-28 13212

Chris--The JD SOLUTION NUMBER is 44683 and the DOCUMENT ID is LV44683 in which it is indicated that the HST oil change interval be changed to before 50 hours in which the suction screen is also cleaned and the AM102723 Oil Filter is changed and replaced with a larger and more efficient LVA10419 filter, which will be used on all 4200-4400 HST tractors. With the above two sets of numbers, your JD dealer should be able to advise you on the new transmission oil change schedule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View my Photos
Tannenwald

2000-10-29          21009

Oh Boy, it is worse than I thought. Someone else took a look at the tractor when I turned it on to try to locate the source of the leak. The upper right corner of the battery has apparently punctured and/or corroded a hole into the transmission fluid cooler (is this a transmission "radiator"?), which is located just in front of the radiator. I am wondering how on earth did the battery move to this position (only the right corner contacts the cooler, not the left)... There is a great gaping hole now which spews out transmission fluid. I guess I have to call the dealer in the morning. Anyone ever have such a thing happen? ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-10-29          21017

Shawn--apparently a DTAC solution bulletin was issued in which hydrostatic transmission fluid was supposed to be changed at 50 hours, BUT this may have been for those of us that were experiencing some transmission difficulties. My dealer notified me of this change since I had complained of transmission problems. At 50 hours, I drained the transmission, cleaned the suction strainer and changed the filter--going to the larger replacement filter. The suction screen had about two tablespoons of metal filings on it and when I cut apart the filter, I found that it was pretty well clogged with metal dust. The old transmission fluid was drained into two clean kitty litter buckets and placed in the corner of my garage for later disposal. Two weeks later I finally went to dispose of the tranny fluid and when pouring it into a larger container found one-fourth inch of metal dust in the bottom of both buckets--the metal dust was not suspended in the fluid, but laying solidly on the bottom of the buckets. The PTO had gone out at 8 hours, the transmission was replaced at 70 hours along with the brakes that were scratched--perhaps by metal filings. After the transmission was replaced, I was told to replace the transmission fluid and filter after 50 hours. It is my suspicion that millings were left inside when the tractor was assembled and led to most of my tractor's problems. Change your transmission fluid at 50 hours--your call. Good luck. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-10-29          21020

This discussion has aroused my curiosity. I have a JD4100 gear model. I had planned to change the transmission and axle fluids at 500 hours like the manual stated, but now am wondering. What about gear models-do they need to also be changed early for break-in? I just completed my other 50 hour service items. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login