Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2210 vs B7500 vs BX 2200

View my Photos
jweed3
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-08          52795

Hi JD Folks - I posted this message over on the Kubota Board, and I wanted to see what "this side" had to say.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Everyone... I'm looking for some advice. I've been doing some serious research into the above 3 machines. I have 2+ acres of land (mow about 1.5, but that could expand). I have a paved 6000 sq ft driveway that I will be snow blowing and will be using a FEL for various "yard tasks". I've gotten quotes on the three machines, all with the following configuration: 54" mmm, FEL, Grass collection (a must, and not with any standalone engine), front mount snow blower, & wheel weights. Quotes are B7500 (18,100), BX2200 (15,200) and JD with no collection system (15,300). I don't mind spending the extra for the B7500, but want to make sure the mowing and collection system are comparable to the smaller BX configuration. Anyone that can share any advice would be appreciated.... Mowing/grass collection is #1 priority, snowblowing is #2, future expandability is #3. I look fwd to your comments.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mhalla

2003-04-08          52808

When I was shopping I compared the John Deere 2210 to the Kubota BX2200. One of the deciding factors for me in buying the John Deere at $200 more than the Kubota was the operator presence detect feature that John Deere had but the Kubota lacked. With my son and wife handling some of the mowing duty I felt strongly about having this safety feature that will kill the engine if they were to leave the seat with the PTO engaged and the mower blades still rotating. ....

View my Photos
jweed3

2003-04-09          52839

mhalla,

Were you able to find any grass catching (bagging) solutions for your 2210, that were driven by PTO, and not a separate gas engine? ....

View my Photos
NickMazzaia

2003-04-09          52844

Check trac-vac.com model 854/856. A minimum of 13.5 pto hp is required. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
jweed3

2003-04-09          52864

Thanks for the info. I think that would work great for seasonal use during leaf cleanup - however I'm thinking of something along the lines of a bagger similiar to the Kubota Implement that fits the Bx2200 series, where backing up during weelky mowing wouldn't be effected (especially in my case where I have many trees...). I do appreciate your info, I have learned a lot about the collection systems that are on the market today! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-09          52868

When I chose the 2210 over the other two which I also considered price between the 2200 and the 2210 was nominal. I like the layout of the 2210 so much better than the Kubota with the forward and reverse plus I still dont grasp the concept of haveing a clutch pedal when you are already coughing up the cash for a Hydro. I laso did not like the odd placement of the brake on the Kubota. I did like the machines overall but I certainly did not see any price factor that I read so much about in favor of the Kubota. The real clincher here was that I could not find a decent Kubota dealer but that certainly will be different every where else. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-09          52870

Doc, I am confused. Which unit had a clutch pedal and what was it used for? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-09          52872

Both Kubotas have a clutch pedal for the PTO. It is only personal preferance but I just dont see paying for a hydro and still haveing a clutch pedal. For anything. When I started shopping the biggest plus I heard over and over was price on the Kubota. In our area that was no greater than one hundred dollars on the JD 2210 Vs. The Kubota Bx2200. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-09          52875

My BX has a lever on the fender to engage the PTO once you decide if you want front, rear or both.

Is that what you are referring to?

How does that differ on the 2210? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-09          52877

No I am referring to clutch pedal by your left foot. This is why Kubota has to have that awkward brake pedal over the drive pedal on the right, which to me is very odd. But again this is just personal preference. The PTO selector is on the side of the seat on the JD. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-09          52879

I have two pedals on the left.

The stubby one is a lock for the parking brake and the taller on is the differential lock.

Can't speak to the 7500, but the BX has no clutch pedal. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-09          52880

How do you engage your PTO ? Maybe I have the two kubotas mixed up or I was totally miss informed by the Kubota dealer as I was told the tall pedal on the left was the clutch for the PTO engagement. The New Holland Boomers are the same as well. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-09          52881

Two levers on the left fender.

One chooses which PTO function you want and the other lever engages and disengages the operation.

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-09          52882

Mark, I think I was looking at the 2900 Kubota. I was told that left pedal was the clutch for the PTO. But again that was my real complaint that I could not find a dealer that knew up from down and I sure didn't. It was not easy finding a good JD dealer either there was just a whole lot more of them to go through. When I first started looking I was really wanting a Kubota. I would like to try out a BX2200 some day just for comparison, especially with the back hoe available. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-04-09          52883

On the Kubtota B21 TLB there is a Clutch Pedal on the left which allows the operator to select which hydro range to operate in. The brake is on the right side, I believe this is the same for the other B series hydros.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-04-09          52884

It seems really picky but when I was first looking at tractors I found the clutch on a hydro and the pedal configuration to be confuseing or at least it did not make sense to me. The Pedal configureation to me was the only positive of the JD over the Kubota. Both were priced the same and had competitive financeing. The Kubota still seems like a great machine but so far I am very pleased with the JD. ....

View my Photos
KubotaMan

2003-04-14          53131

I hope this helps to clear up some things up...

The clutch on Kubota hydro(L30 series, some B series) serves as...
1. A safety switch
2. An aid to starting in cold weather...by seperating the transmission from the engine, there is less energy needed to start in 10 below and lower that the other tractors don't have.
3. An emergency stop of both the tractor and PTO (in conjunction with the brakes of course)

Next, no the BX2200 does not have a clutch. It's PTO is hydraulically actuated. The pedals on the left as stated before are the diff. lock and the parking brake set.

The brake pedals on the right are keeping with both the original design of kubotas and all tractors really. It wasn't until recently that JD moved it to the left with their hydros only. This, along with the whole hydro pedal design of the JD and Kubota can be argued about till the cows come home. To me, the Kubota pedal just makes the most sense and it is virtually impossible to go in the wrong direction. Again...not going to settle this argument anytime soon.

The BX series Kubotas do have operator presence control as of late last year.

The 2210 will lift more than the 2200, but the 2200 will lift the bucket to full height full of any standard material (sand, dirt, rocks, etc) in it. So it becomes unnecessary to make it lift more really.

The 2210 is also wider and therefore has a wider bucket which would require the extra lift capacity. That could go either way. Sometimes space is an issue, but being wider the JD should be more stable.

The Kubota mower decks are just plain better hands down. I don't think anyone can argue this with a straight face. Kubota decks are deeper, thicker and easier to clean. There is a reason the JD decks are yellow...because they are cheesy. Hey, I just thought of that. I crack myself up, lol. If anyone has any good Kubota or John Deere jokes, please pass them on. That should make a good topic.

And yes, I am a salesperson at a dealership. Some may think that makes me bias, but everything above save typos, is true. Cya, have fun shopping. You may also want to make a decision early on plastic or metal though. ....

View my Photos
dcsmith01

2003-04-14          53142

It is interesting how people view the same equipment differently. I would NOT like the operator presence system. I do like the layout of the 2210 better than the Kubota, it seems a little better thought out. My B7500 does have a clutch on the left foot side for starting, high low, and PTO. Again, I really like the 7500. ....

View my Photos
delboo

2003-04-23          53625

One noteworthy point that I've found during my JD 2210 vs. BX2200 comparison is that the joystick control valve assembly must be unbolted from the 2200 loader when swapping loader for front mount snowblower (which uses same valve set). Not so with the 2210, the valves stay with the tractor. So much is made of quick & ease of attachment/removal (very important to my aching joints), yet this compatibility factor is rarely mentioned. Advantage JD on my scorecard. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-04-23          53626

Delboo, I agree the process could be easier or more streamlined, but I don't find it necessary to unbolt anything when I install my BX front blade.

I pull the pins on the hydraulic cylinders and leave the control assembly on the tractor. Do you do it differently? ....

View my Photos
delboo

2003-04-23          53632

Being only in the shopping mode, I don't have the experience with either machine. Now that I look at the BX2200 literature it does appear to be pin-pulling rather than unbolting as the dealer mentioned. If you have found that procedure to be quick and easy, maybe it's a moot point for me as well.
Northern Michigan prices are very close:
BX2200 w/wheel weights, r-loaded turf tires, loader, grille guard, blower w/man. chute, 54" mmm, 3yr warr.......$15,400
JD 2210 w/turf tires, loader, grille guard, blower w/hydraulic chute, 54" mmm, 2yr warranty .......$15,700
Slight Kubota advantage at the moment, but I will getting a hands-on look at the JD tomorrow. ....

View my Photos
idocpilk

2003-04-23          53666

Our local dealer carries the Kub and the JD. I have taken 2 opportunities to side by side the BX2200 and the 2210. Both times coming away with the impression that the JD was the better machine. Not sure why but it seemed better built in some areas. The K has one main advantage and that is ground clearance with the mmm deck up. Other than that, the JD seemed more natural to operate. The loader is movable even at low idle, where as the K needs rpms. The controls on the JD seemed to make more sense and the hydrostat controls are more comfortable to me. I have eliminated the K from consideration unless a dealer throws one at me. Waiting for the Kioti CK20H in May...comparable to the the JD 4100 in stats but 400lbs heavier. Prices I'm getting put it more than the JD 2210...but it seems to be alot more tractor. ....

View my Photos
ChyzikJ

2003-04-24          53724

I am getting real close to buying a used BX2200 from an individual (not a dealer). He is holding fast at $11,000 for one with 170 hours, 60" deck (new, never used), LA211 loader, and a 42" tiller. I could certainly use the implements, but a little hesitant about the price. Any comments on the price or if I should continue looking, or look at a JD? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-04-24          53727

Hows the mmm compare? Haven't personally seen the new deere deck yet. ....

View my Photos
idocpilk

2003-04-24          53732

I felt the JD deck was a little more solid looking, however the Kub had a significant advantage in clearance with the deck up...maybe 2". I think that could be big plus on rough ground. When you look closely at these two rigs you realize they are both very well made...one stands out here, the other one there. I kept thinking I wanted the Kub because I had checked them out a few years ago...like I said, I would go JD if the price was nearly the same. I just think these size tractors are ideal for around the property stuff. They mow great and can do so much more. I recently sold my MF2135 because it was too big and no loader...very limited use. These babies will make me find something to do. Another comparison is idle...the JD is much smoother at idle than the Kub...small point but it says the JD folks took a little extra time to make it right. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-04-24          53735

I know that we have good luck with the Kubota decks. The Kubota seems to smooth out a lot when warm. How is the foot petal effort on the hydros? ....

View my Photos
ChyzikJ

2003-04-25          53743

Anyone have any comments on maintenance requirements and reliability issues between the Kub and JD? I've been told the JD is more expensive to maintain, but have no experience. What about ease of doing repairs by yourself? How about the cost and availability of parts for do-it-yourselfers? ....

View my Photos
idocpilk

2003-04-26          53794

I prefer the hydro on the JD, probably because I have a JD 345 with the same set up. The effort needed was minimal on both but I didn't care for having my heel on the back of the Kub pedal. Probably a matter of which one you get used to first. I noticed the Kioti has the same setup as the Kub. I still waiting to see what they are like before I decide. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login