Go Bottom Go Bottom

clutch smell

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-30          52202

while cutting brush this morning and the top link pin fell out of place causing front of cutter to fall down, I was in a pretty thick patch of 1 inch sapplings and it quickly killed tractor followed by heavy clutch smell.would that have been pto i was smelling or drive clutch? every thing seemed fine afterwords. just wondering what took the beatin in that event. cutter is shear pin model, no slip clutch.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

clutch smell

View my Photos
Walt20
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-30          52204

It very well have been PTO clutch smell. The cutter is what stalled the tractor, not the forward motion. So it would be the likley one. glad to hear it is working ok. ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-30          52205

I guess I would need to ask which tractor you have. Some thing like a 750-790 has only one clutch so the slippage and burning would have to be on the main clutch.
If you have an independent PTO then either clutch could have slipped.
As to what damage is done. Any time you burn the clutch you risk heat polishing the flywheel. In general you need to heat the unit up for a period of time like riding the clutch to do real damage.

clutch smell

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-30          52217

tractor is a 790 with 2 stage clutch. Is that normal to get clutch stink when cutter stalls tractor? Seems the shear pin would of snaped before clutch slipped.????? ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-31          52227

It'd be good if the cutter has a belt drive and that was the source of the smell, but that's probably not the case.

It does sound like the shear pin is too heavy for the clutch. If the pto shaft came with the cutter, the shear pin may be more for the cutter than the tractor. If the tractor is on the low side of the recommended hp range of the cutter, the pin may be soft enough to protect the drive line but not the clutch.

You might check to see if the shear pin is a grade-2 bolt. Changing to a softer pin may be desirable. Another trick I've heard is to use self-locking nuts left a bit loose to make pins snap easier. Whether the pinholes are dinged up, out of round or corroded also affects shear pin strength. I try to remember to grease mine.

clutch smell

View my Photos
Art White

2003-03-31          52233

A shear pin needs a sharp or distinct load increase not a gradual to too heavy of a load to shear. You did not give it a sharp load. ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-31          52236

Thanks Art! That notion occurred to me after I posted. I'm probably reacting to the new format and didn't my whole mind into my comment--which probably is a good thing most of the time. The idea may be an argument that a slip clutch would have been better in this case. ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-03-31          52239

A shear bolt does not always need a sharp load to severe. It depends on the power of the tractor VS load to determine shear point. I've seen them shear with out any load applied, due to long term use. ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-31          52245

cutter is a 5ft kk brand with a 40 horse gear box (lite duty), shouldn't be too much for tractor? I was told by neibor to run nut alittle loose as tom stated also.Ill try that beings I don't want to fry clutch if that happens agian.I would rather have gear box gernade before clutch, cheaper and easer to fix.drive line and pin came with cutter(grade 2). ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
harvey

2003-04-01          52378

Plots a couple of thoughts occured to me. Not remembering the age of your tractor please bear with this.

Do you have the correct amount of free travel in your cluct linkage?

Do you ride the clutch? I seen lots of people in tuff spots that have the pedal covered and maybe some pressure on it.

Good luck Harvey ....

clutch smell

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-04-01          52388

I've found a really loose bolt tends to stretch and twist a bit before it shears. The bolt should be snug enough to compress a lock washerbut not so tight as to dig into the metal. This will provide a nice crisp break. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login