Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Walt20
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-15          51207

I am haveing a problem picking between these two tractors. I will use the tractor for bushhoging,3PT backhoe and small 3pt boom mower. I have a small outdoor maintance company and will have a loader with forks also for outher work. Both tractors have a good rep and the dealers should be good. The JD has alot of electronics on it and i am worried about the long term reliability. Both tractors have good and bads. The pricing I have gotten is about the same . Help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
walt20

2003-03-15          51209

Should be 4610

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-03-15          51212

Walt,
Its hard to beat the TC45's SuperSteer option. The maneuverability is simply outstanding! That option alone would make a huge difference in my purchasing decision.
If SuperSteer is not important, don't forget about the Case IH DX45. Its the same as the New Holland, but without the SuperSteer option. Plus, the tractor looks great in red.
The NH/Case IH loader has a bit more lift capacity than the Deere and I like its design.
The Deere 4610 has a better engine, in my opinion. The Yanmar engine is very good and it sounds great. I like the "bark" of a direct injection engine.
The new 4610 Deere has the new eHydro transmission. I, too, am skeptical about the long-term durability of the electronics. (A year ago, my previous car decided to unleash its airbags while on-the-go, with little warning. Thus, I tend to be sceptical about electronic things. The car was "totaled" as a result. A long story, but the cause for the deployment could not be found.)
I've driven an older model JD 4600 and it seemed to hold up well despite that fact that it did not receive much love. (I also have driven a 1,400-hr., L4610 Kubota which felt TIRED. I was not impressed.)
Drive the NH and JD as close together as you can. Better yet, demo both of them on your property, in real-world conditions. My dealer was the one that offered to do that. That is the only way that you will know. Drive them a couple of times if it helps. The last thing that you want to do is buy a tractor and realize that you made the wrong decision.
A few years ago, I drove a new NH TN55 and a new JD 5300 back-to-back at the dealer. My opinion was solidified in seconds. But...that was a different time and a different class of tractor.
Have fun. I'd love to be doing the same thing.

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-16          51257

You do need to drive them both. Try to do what you plan on doing with the tractor in your company. Either way once you get used to whatever you buy you will be happy as they are both great units. Advantage super steer. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-16          51296

i kinda chuckeled when i first seen this one, what a big difference in machines there. my neighbor has a 6410 , and that is a whole lot of tractor. WISH I HAD ONE.but on my budget 790 was all i could mustard.DARN IT! ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-17          51318

I some times wonder as to the longevity of all the extra moving parts to make the front axle turn on the NH line of tractors for the little difference in turning ability that it gives. You still have all the steering in the axle just like the regtular tractors but now we have a turning front axle to make up the difference that the other makes do at the wheel. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
E9-livin

2003-03-17          51329

I am with Art, when you shift the front axle forward and Pivot it in a turn a lot is going. I would also be concerned with loader use that it would be to easy to over steer. (I passed on a good deal on a TC33D because of super steer). Plus I also understand the ground speed is reduced automaticaly seems like a lot of things to wearout and expensive ones at that. People don't have concerns with this techonogly, but worry about the possibility of a $10.00 switch going bad in the John Deere tractors. I belive the automotive and trucking industry have had electronicelly controlled engines and transmissions for better than 25 years, seems to me the bugs should be worked out by now. I think it would be a safe bet that something as basic and simple as a compact tractor should do just fine. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Chief

2003-03-17          51335

Walt,

I recently procured 15 John Deere 4710's for the 101st Airborne Division. The TC45D from NH was the only competing tractor. I wrote a comparative analysis paper for this contract buy twice. Both times, New Holland was not competitive. Horsepower wise yes but in other areas such as hydrostatic drive (offered only standare hydro....the ehydro offers a huge advantage in safety and heavy towing we pull helicopter upto 50,000 lbs.), warranty coverage (would not warranty engine with use of anything but #2 diesel). As far as service and support, John Deere sent a Government Sales Rep. to meet me in person that gave us personal demo's, sponsored and gave our soldiers classes on the tractors, and provided the class materials. After numerous attempts to contact a New Holland representative, all New Holland provided was a threat to sue us and go to court if we did not buy their tractor and did nothing more. While at several area John Deere dealers, I noticed a significant number of fairly recent model and older model used New Holland tractors sitting on the lot for sale. This part is the dealer's and my opinion. Pretty much across the board, the dealer's all said that they had a very difficult time selling New Holland tractors that had been traded in and in most case said that they had stopped accepting them in trade. They also said that many of their customers went with New Holland initially to save money and were very disappointed with the tractor's realibility and performance. I realize this is arguable. What is in fact the case here is that a John Deere will almost always have a much higher resale value no matter how old. I can tell you that the service and support the 101st has received from John Deere has continued even while these tractors are in Kuwait awaiting the start of war. The final and MOST important measure of service and satisfaction is that unanimously, the soldiers LOVE these tractors and use the heck out of them. I personally own a 4410 and love this tractor as well. The ehydro makes operation so much easier and user friendly. What every you decide on, good luck with it. The hours I have spent on mine have been excellent therapy for stress management. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Chief

2003-03-17          51336

Walt,

By the way, I would recommend the 4710 for your use, but the 4610 or 4510 would meet your needs as well. I can see your point......that is alot of money to pay for 9 to 11 more horsepower. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Walt20

2003-03-18          51373

Thanks for the input. Drove both machines and liked the JD best. Plus The dealer dropped the price to below the NH price. He also called and said JD just went down on all the rates. 4610 It Is! ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-18          51412

Sure am glad I don't have to pull any 50,000# copters around.
Sounds like quite a salesman, I have heard that before many times about trading in the other brand.

As far as the New Holland sales rep. that is pathetic he should not have the job.

The 4610 should be a great tractor good luck. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Walt20

2003-03-20          51514

Well, Things change. Went to the dealer and made him an offer on the 4710 mfwd he had on the lot. Had folding ROPS,EHydro,R4 tire,Rear SCV,Telescoping draft links,E match upgrades,460 Loader,Hood Guard, 73" HD bucket With bolt on cutting edge and level indicator. Got 2.9% for 48 months. He took the offer and he will deliver it next week.

Again, Thanks for all the help and suggestions. It really helped in my purchase. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Chief

2003-03-20          51534

Walt,

Congratualtions! I am sure you will be very satisfied with your 4710. Just have to get used to those for and aft pedals in tight spaces. Start your fuel system off right and use a good fuel additive in EVERY tank full. I use the John Deere summer formula in my 4410 and Cummins. If you did not get counter weights for the loader, have the salesman fluid fill the rear tires for ballast.....that should be included with the cost of the loader install and make sure they do NOT use calcium cloride. Use the antifreeze mix. They should also replace the fluid in the transmission due to possible contamination from the loader install use Hygard Low Viscocity for cold climates. Make sure the salesman gives you an owner's manual for the tractor and the loader, AND a YOUR choice of hat and a couple of key chains. ;-)

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-03-20          51544

Yes. Do not forget the hat. My green hat is my favorite. ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
mdsample

2003-03-29          52110

Hi Walt,

Im in the market for a JD 4610 or 4710. Do you mind sharing what you had to pay? Thanks, Mike ....

TC45 VS 6410

View my Photos
Walt20

2003-03-29          52158

mdsample I would have spent around $24000 for the 4610, which was lower than a TC45d. I spent just over $25000 for the 4710 I have. Good luck in your pick. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login