Go Bottom Go Bottom

4610 ehydro pedal locations

View my Photos
AlbionKen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-06          48752

I took delivery of my new 4610 with back blade and MX6 cutter (won't be using that until the snow melts!) last week and I have a question about the pedals. I got the ehydro and the pedals seem backwards to me, with the back pedal on the right (outside) and the forward pedal on the left (inside). I find myself constantly pushing the wrong pedal. In my befuddled mind the forward pedal should be on the right where the excelerator would be in a car. The only thing I can figure is that when backing and using attachments I'm be turned in the seat and the outside pedal will be easier to reach? By the way, I love the tractor and while pushing snow is OK I can hardly wait for Spring!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-06          48754

I had the same thoughts as you, Ken. However, it was explained to me that the forward pedal is closer to you for comfort's sake. The theory is that if you are constantly stretching to reach the outside pedal, you could strain muscles in your leg. I'm short, so it made sense to me. ....

View my Photos
Kyle_in_Tex

2003-02-06          48755

Nice tractor, very nice. You'll get used to it. The only problem I had with my 4310 ehydro, is that I accidentally pushed both pedals simultaneously while turned around looking backwards. I was wearing big boots at the time that didn't give much feel. I did however get used to it. My wife can drive it without any problems and she has never driven any equipment.
Good Luck, and if you live way up north, please shut the window. I'm feeling a draft down here in TX.
Kyle ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-06          48757

The wrong pedal problem likely will go away. We all adapt to our tractors since the tractors can't adapt to us. In the meantime I'd take some care. Somebody here told about putting himself and tractor over a steep bank with the wrong pedal thing.

The problem is me. Average low temps here are 0F this time of year. It will get better for you when I click on the 'X' in the upper right corner.

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-06          48760

To Jack's point, I'm 6'4" tall. May well be part of the problem. I've already thought about how to move the seat farther back than the factory installation. I'm sure I'll get used to the pedals. More snow due today, tonight, and tomorrow so I'll get more opportunity to practice! I'll close the door tight when I go out Kyle so y'all don't get chilly in Texas! Thanks for the good thoughts. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48768

I think it mostly just rains in Texas.

Lately it has been raining spaceship parts and bodies.

God bless the brave souls who fly those contraptions into space.

The explosion woke me out of a sound sleep last saturday, and it still sends shivers down my spine.

Think I will stay down here and try to figger out the pedals on my tractor. It is safer. ....

View my Photos
larry

2003-02-06          48769

That must have been some explosion
I can't believe that there were body parts to be found.
They were brave people ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-06          48770

I got the pedals figured. What I'm confused about is which hydraulic oil to use. According to the chart (for my climate) in the Owner's Manual, I should use Hy-Guard. According to the dealer, I should use Low Viscosity Hy-Guard.

I even emailed JD and all they would tell me was "I would recommend following the advice of your JD dealer. Generally speaking, they are your best source for product information as well as parts & services. They have the knowledge, training, experience and resources to help and advise you."

If that's the case, why print a chart in the OM?

Billy

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-06          48775

I'll bet Deere has that message under the F1 key.

At least they respond. That is more than I can say for Kubota.

Billy, have you checked Wally world? They have a generic hydro fluid that meets Deere specs and is priced right. Might be an answer. ....

View my Photos
kvh1942

2003-02-06          48776

Billy, re. hydro oil. I have 4200 HST, and below the air temp. chart in my manual it states "John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD..... is recommended. Standard John Deere HY-GARD.....may also be used." The next paragraph OK's other oils if they meet JD specs. My dealer says low visc should be used, and he gave me a free gallon of it. Ken ....

View my Photos
AlbionKen

2003-02-06          48779

While we are talking about fluid replacement, where can we get rid of (legally) the old hydro fluid when it is time to change fluid/filters? The capacity for the 4610 is something like 15 gallons (don't have the manual with me). The Texans probably just spread it on those dusty roads (I suppose for awhile you could blame it on the shuttle - sorry), but in Ohio the EPA frowns on that kind of thing. Will the dealer take it back to have it recycled/disposed? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-06          48783

Is there any reason why it can't be recycled in the same place as used motor oil? It is oil. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-02-06          48786

Thanks Mark. I'll check Wally World out.

You know, I wouldn't mind paying a fair price at the dealership but all of them are way out of line. I know some of you think just because the container has John Deere or Kubota written across it, it's the best you can get. I don't agree and never will. If they'd get right with their pricing, they would sell a whole lot more.

About getting rid of old oil. The recycle place (if you have one near by) should take any type of oil. My brother-in-law drives a big rig. He puts all his old oil in a barrel and burns it. I'm not sure that's quite legal but we live so far back in the woods, we use hoot owls for roosters.

Billy ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-02-06          48805

You will get used to the petal location after a while, if you use it enough. Should we pray for snow? Sound like fun to me with a new tractor.
I just mix the hydraulic with the waste motor oil. It will be redistilled anyways and refractionated. Friends in BC got into paying a portion of what they received for the waste oil in the 70's. I am sure it does not pay in a lot of location now, but it was used in the lime kilms for fuel or reprocessed.
Peters

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-07          48827

The big thing about used oil disposal is don't put off doing it. Our camp had about 500-gallons of it sitting back in the bush when we bought the place. Nobody wants that much used oil, especially if it's residential and they don't know where it came from.

After about a week of trying, the disposal company that collects from garages in the area agreed to extend one of their runs this way and pump it. We had to pay for testing and per/liter pumping but considered ourselves lucky to get rid of it. There would have been no insurance coverage if it spilled and boy could an environmental clean-up bill ruin a retirement saving plan.

The test results came back showing high lead content. Which probably means the previous owner was storing the stuff from back in the days of leaded gas. The disposal company was able to take the oil despite the lead. They did warn us before drawing a sample for testing that if it showed PCB's they'd have to report it. Then you find yourself up to your neck with enviro officials and end up renting a special trail to cart the PCB's half-way across the continent.

Got to depend on owls around here too. If a rooster was out early enough to wake me up he'd probably get eaten by the owls.

View my Photos
Kyle_in_Tex

2003-02-07          48829

Well folks, someone left the window open. It is suppossed to snow here tomorrow.
Billy, my dealer is pushing the lighter oil too. Wonder if they know something we don't?
Talk to y'all later,
Gotta go get my coat...Kyle ....

View my Photos
larry

2003-02-07          48831

Kyle
I'll gladly trade you winters especially this one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login