jeff miller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-19          47780

need to know 790 limatation ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-19          47783

The 790 should be able to pull at least a single bottom plow. I don't know enough about disking and the weight of the implement to comment on that. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-19          47790

I have a 790 4wd.I have a 1/2 acre garden in which i use the tractor to pull a jd 2 bottom 14 inch plow. the tractor has no problems with power;however, it does lack traction while pulling the plow. I must use the tractor in 4wd for plowing. I should not that i have the industrial type tires, which the traction bars aren't as aggresive as the traditional ag type. If i had to do it over, I would be content with a single bottom plow for the 790, maybe a single 16 inch one. This may take alittle longer to get the job done, but it would be less frustrating.

As far as the disk is concerned, I purchased a new 5 foot king cutter disk for $500.00. The 790 does a fine job with this disk as far as traction. But, i wouldn't recommend going much larger on the disk.

Good Luck Ron L. (New Park, PA) ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-19          47791

You may also want to consider a 3 pt tiller for the rear of the 790. Although,Im not certain as to the maximum tiller width you could obtain with this tractor. It may cost more initially for the unit(compared to a plow & disk), but, it would probally give you a better end result. In fact, i'm toying with the idea at selling my plow & disk and going this route. At least I can use the 3 pt tiller for cultivation during the vegtables early stages.

Ron L.

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-19          47795

thanks for you input it sounds like i better save for tiller i didnt mention though is is just food plot for deere clovers and such ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-19          47796

thats why i was thinking cheaply ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-19          47797

ron can youtell me how long it takes you to work up a half acere with your method ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2003-01-19          47802

Your 790 is about the same size and power as my cub cadet so here goes. 1/2 acre? Depends. The single bottom plow I have works but is slow going. Each pass only turns over 16" or so. So lots of passes close together for the plow. Takes a while. Fortunately, the disc does 6' at each pass so that goes really quick. I don't plow every year - usually just disk unless the ground gets compacted so the disks won't bite. Nice thing about clover is that it lasts a couple of years. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
Bruce Z

2003-01-20          47830

I have a JD 4100 which I think is in same horsepower range as the 790, 20 HP? I debated a long time over the disc/plow combination versus a tiller. In talking to many farmers in my area they felt that if you were working small acreages, less than 10, you would be better off with the tiller since you would not have enough traction to pull much of a plow or to dig real deep or turn sod with a disc. So I bought a 54 inch tiller. I have tilled up to 5 acres with this, takes about 1 1/2 hours per acre to till full depth with my mostly sandy soil. If I don't need to till full depth every time, I can get it done twice that fast. I would caution that if you have heavy soil a tractor in this HP range would be underpowered with this size tiller. When my soil gets sloppy wet or I till sod I have to go real slow or wait til it dries out more. I think it is still quicker than watching the wheels spin trying to pull more than a 1 bottom plow or a disc. Here's a true story and kind of funny. I was tilling about 2 acres last spring right next to a field my neighbor farms. He was driving his large 150 Hp Steiger 8 wheel drive tractor at times right next to me and my 4100 with tiller. I think he was pulling about a 36 foot wide disc. I felt like one wrong turn from either of us and me and my tractor would be imprinted into the soil. When he got done he walked over and said he was real impressed with how fast and how nice my little rig did that 2 acres, and in only one pass you get a finish good enough to plant a lawn! He agreed that with my small tractor don't fool with a plow and disc. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-26          48168

i was going to get help from neibor with the first busting of ground with his 6420 jd then use my rig to fine tune soil and maintain by disking with 6 ft disk i thought it would work as long as soil doesn't pack to bad??? ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-26          48169

i was going to get help from neibor with the first busting of ground with his 6420 jd then use my rig to fine tune soil and maintain by disking with 6 ft disk i thought it would work as long as soil doesn't pack to bad??? ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-01-26          48176

Plots, I advised in a previous posting that i pulled a 3pt 5 foot disk, well, it is actually a 6 footer. My 790 4wd with r4's doesn't have to much trouble pulling the disk. The ground here fairly level, but have a few clay spots. Every once in awhile if i hit a really soft spot,where the tires sink down, I'll slide the lever into 4wd. Not much of a problem though. You may need to go over the area several times to get most of the clumps out. However, it sounds like for what you're doing, a few clumps shouldn't matter. As i said earlier, I paid around 500-550 for my king cutter 3 pt disk, last year. Purchased mine from Tractor Supply in york PA, Ron L. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
STEVEJOHNSON

2003-01-26          48224

I HAVE A NEWHOLLAND 1725 (30)HP. I USED TO PLOW AND DISK 10 HALF ACER DEER FOOD PLOTS. NOW I USE A KINGKUTTER 3PT TILLER MINE IS A 5 FT.ONE PASS ON THE FIELDS IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED. THIS UNIT IS WELL BUILT HAS A SLIP CLUTCH AND GEAR DRIVE TINES. BOUGHT IT AT TRACTOR SUPPLY IN MICH FOR $999.00 YOUR 20 HP TRACTOR MAY NEED A SMALLER UNIT OR GO SLOW AND NOT SO DEEP. THEN GO DEEPER ON SECOND PASS ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-27          48232

A six foot disc may have 16",18",20" or 22" disc pans on it. Many fifty horse power tractors have difficulty with the larger size discs. Width is not the only factor. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-27          48286

steve i believe the 790 is also 30 horse.why did you go to tiller ? did you find you had to run over plots to many times with disk? ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-28          48314

Wait till you hit pine roots and rocks with a tiller. Not to mention a speed of .5mph. For field work, a tiller is great for seed bed finishing, but for deer plots? All that is required is a light and shallow tillage. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots

2003-01-28          48315

marklugo are you saying a tiller is not really needed and just stick with disking? ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-28          48316

Tillers suffer a lot from abuse and neglect. They are higher maintenance than a disc. Usually about twice the price of a decent disc. A complete set of tines (which by the way don't last long on hard new ground) is expensive. Admittedly discs aren't cheap to replace either, but the ratio of replacing tines to replacing discs is about 3:1.
Only a gear drive tiller would hold up in such a condition. The King cutter is a gear drive but constructed with Chinese Gears. If a tiller is what you want, try a BALTIC center gear drive. They have a ring gear and pinion style that will last years and it has the weight and frame to handle obstructions. LINK ....

Link:   LINK

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
mathews

2003-02-25          50046

I'm looking at the 790 also, and want to be able to pull a plow and disk. (I hope I can pull a two bottom plow since I've got about ten acres to do, although the soil is light and sandy.) The No. 1 concern I have with the 790 is that the 3PH lift capacity is only 815 lbs, compared to twice that amount for the NH TC-30. The disk harrow that I saw at the NH dealer for a compact tractor weighed in the 800-1000 lb range, depending on width and blade selection. Most of the folks that discuss the 790 here are primarily using it for mowing and moving things around. Is the 790 going to restrict me to too lightweight of a disk harrow? I know about rototillers, but I wouldn't expect that they can handle heavy or stringy plant residue like sudangrass. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-26          50103

I dont think the 790 or the TC30 will pull disk weighing 1000lbs well once it cuts in good,if it can be lifted or not.I tryed pulling neibors 6ft pull type, that weighs more than 3pt type with lots of wheel spin on my 790.probly going to have to go to5.5 or 6 ft 3pt type with smaller 18 inch disk to pull effectly.Thats been my experance anyway. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
mathews

2003-02-26          50118

Plots1: It sounds like I don't need to focus too much on the 815# lift limit on the 790 because the drawbar HP is going to limit what I can pull before the weight is going to limit me. Do you ever wish you had the 1630# lift capacity of the TC-30? The only other difference of note is that the TC-30 has dry shoe brakes and the TC-30 has wet disk, which are supposed to be more problem-free. I would rather buy from the local JD dealer any way. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-02-26          50158

ya the 790 has dry shoes vs TC30's wet , havent had mine long enough for brake failure yet but they are replacable. and as far as lift cap. it does seem to be a big deal to lift a heavy tool that your machine cant pull once you set it down anyway,but there might be a use for it elsware ,dont think i will have to worry for what i do with my tractor.could be good for moving heavy objects around with rear pallet forks are something though.im sure someone on this site could post in more detail. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-03-15          51222

Plots, I decided on a 50" tiller for my feed areas. I admittedly have a light soil that is refered to as water sand in the area. It is moist good soil. Ph 6.7 !! I had one area that was about 1/2 acre that I tilled by hand last year. LOL. Talk about time ! I have been cutting and burning all winter. I will have the stumps dozed to make it easy going for the 2210. I chose a frontier tiller ( medium duty) as the JD 550 was off set and that just seemed a bit much for the woods and the 2210. I also chose this for imatch compatability. I thought a lot about disking but I cant imagine why you will be running over stumps roots etc after the first time. I just don't like the finish of a disk. I suppose that might sound funny but like you this is more for fun, certainly not a liveing, so after all that work and $ I want it to look just so. Besides I hate walking across frozen ground that has been turned with a disk. I feel I get better soil contact with the smaller seeds on finely tilled soil. I dont see how you could go wrong starting with a disk if $ is a issue, and you could always pick up a used one. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-15          51232

hay doc have ya got new machine yet? LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR DOIND WITH IT ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-03-15          51235

yup, JD 2210, FEL, 50" tiller, imatch. Works great on snow, Trailer is under construction. So far so good. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
DH83

2003-03-15          51236

I have a JD 4310 with a Landpride 15-50 tiller,seems to
have plenty of power for this 50" tiller,tiller will start
jumping before the engine pulls down. Not to change the
subject but does anybody know what to charge for tiling a
approx.40x60 garden? I,m going to till up a few gardens
and just curious what to charge...thanks Dan ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-16          51256

I have used a plow and disk and plow and tiller and just a tiller with j.d.'s 855/955 no problem with any of it, some just takes longer than others depending on soil. So I would think you should not have a problem with the 790. I have to say for food plots I like the tiller best. It just seems to be a lot better seed prep.. You do have to be more carefull with rock and roots and is also more maintenance. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-16          51259

DOC WHAT DOES YOUR NEW MACHINE WEIGHT, AND HOW MANY PONIES AND 4X4 OR 2X4? ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-16          51260

most of my plots run along a wooded creek and im not sure tiller would fair so well on some of the roots if been ancountering, iv'e pull alot of them up and broken through alot also, so they should start to rot soon, i might look into tiller next year after roots rot away.tiller does seem to really fine job on dirt but deer plots really dont need to be preped to heavly to grow well. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-03-16          51261

Plots, my machine is 1,400# without the bucket, FEL, and imatch. 25 hp. 4x4, diff lock. You are partially right based on my experience about the soil not needing much prep. A FAR larger issue is whether or not you have sprayed 3 times the preceeding season to kill all competeing vegetation. It will also depend on the seed size, soil, your experience, how well you maintain it, fertilizers, lime, water etc. I do not think you could go wrong starting with a smaller disc. My tiller is no where near the best and was 2k.You can always pogress to a tiller later and based on your conditions I would probably start with a disk ..... or a dozer. ....

PLOWING AND TILLING

View my Photos
plots1

2003-03-16          51267

dont really need dozer im doing them in pasture area just along creek were its nice a flat, once i get about 20 feet from creek i got great dirt to work with. but thats a lot of roots to get out beings its a forth mile. i m going through learning curve now maybe someday i'll be a master planter. LOL!!! keep me informed on new machine, friend is looking into same model, he dont have comp so he cant visit site. best of luck with your plantings. oh how are the tires work out for plot work? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login