Go Bottom Go Bottom

Decision Time X595 vs 4010 vs 4110

View my Photos
MikeMag
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-20          42679

I am ready to trade my '98 325 for a new tractor. I had my choices narrowed down to the X585 or X595. Then I saw the 4010 for about the same $$$ as the 595. It appears to be much more tractor. My dealer cautioned that I may not be happy with the power on the 4010 using a 60" deck in tall grass. My research shows the 4010 engine to be approx 750cc vs 1 ltr on the 595. I also looked at the 4110 but can't really justify the price differential. Having said that, I don't want to be "penny wise / pound foolish" a second time around. My reason for a new tractor is clearing a 900' paved drive with some areas of incline that gets severe drifts during the winter. I also have approx 3 acres of lawn. Total property size 17 acres with 10 wooded, 4 hayfield (gets cut twice a year by neigboring farmer). My 325 with single stage did not work. I borrowed brother's 455 with 47" blower and power was fine but 2wd w/ chains did not work. I have the scars on the driveway to remind me. I am going to buy before end of October to take advantage of JD promotion. Any advice or experience on these tractors would be greatly appreciated !!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JackIL

2002-09-20          42684

Mike,
It sounds like your primary applications are lawn mowing and snowblowing with the snowblowing needing 4WD for traction. The X595 is optimized for these applications. You do not indicate a need for using a lot of 3 point hitch implements. The compact tractor being taller and heavier would probably handle 3 point hitch implements easier than the X595. The X595 can be equipped with a Cat I 3 point hitch, but it is only well-suited for certain down-sized implements that have hitch dimensions to match the "short" Lawn and Garden Tractor dimensions. In addition there is a significant difference in horsepower in favor of the X595. I would go with it.

Jack ....

View my Photos
J MALLOY

2002-09-20          42695

I have owned a 445 (2 W drive) with 47" blower for 10 years. Clear a 250' drive plus niehbors 200' drive and have never had a problems with wheel slippage. I use six of the "suitcase" weights plus wheel weights. I live in Iowa and we have had some heavy duty snowstorms here over the years. Would like to trade for a X-485 or X-595 myself, but wife says I would then have an alimony payment as well as new tractor payment, and I can't afford both.

JoeM

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-20          42696

Last Time I checked Iowa was pretty flat compared to back here in the east. I had a two wheel drive when I owned flat land, now that I have 12 to 15% grades a 2wd would just cut up the pavement even with chains.

Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-20          42697

I've been to Iowa. It's alot like Indiana, Illinois, Ohio. The terrain is very diverse. No mountains of course, but steep grades can lie within a few miles of flat land. Especially along rivers and streams. Iowa is a beautiful State.
Here in NW Indiana, on my own farm, I have fields as flat as a table, and some woodlands with grades so steep you can't walk up them.
The mid west rocks!!!! ....

View my Photos
Big Eddy

2002-09-20          42699

For the same money - I would get the compact 4010, not the X595.

These are different machines. The 4010 is a tractor - the X595 a Garden Tractor - on steroids maybe - but still a Garden tractor.

60" mower decks should not be an issue for the 4010 - they can support a 72" rear mount mower.

If this is really a mowing machine on a manicured lot, then the 595 is your machine. And it can be used to do your driveway fine. If the reason for the new tractor is primarily the driveway, the 4010 will have much better traction, will mow fine, and gives you a more versatile machine for other uses ( read in the woods) .

4wd on the 595 and 4wd on the 4010 may sound the same but they won't operate the same. The 4010 has more ground clearance, and weight, both of which will help.

Add to it full support for 3pth attachments and my money is on the 4010.

If you ever intend to take your tractor into your woods - the limited ground clearance of the 595 will be a hinderance.

I have a 322 and an 855, and I can tell you there is no comparison. With 20 PTO HP my 855 has no problem running a 60" bush-hog, normally viewed as a more HP intensive attachment than a mower deck.

For what it's worth, I'd ask the dealer to let you take both home over a weekend to try.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-20          42700

One problem with the 4010 is it only comes with a hydro transmission, so the HP rating that counts for mowing, at the PTO, is only 14 HP on this model. That seems a little low for a larger MMM. Might have to scale back on size there. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-20          42701

Myself, in your shoes, I'd get the X595.

If you are getting a loader, then go with the 4010/410loader
The 45 loader for the x series you would never be happy with. ....

View my Photos
TC29 in Wa.

2002-09-20          42711

Personnally I think your limiting yourself. For that type of investment I would also be looking at New Holland (TC18,TC21D and TC24D), as well as Kubota (B7500 or B2450). They are all good little tractors. And there are some good deals out there to be had. ....

View my Photos
MikeMag

2002-09-21          42716

Thanks for all the responses guys ! It sounds like the responses are evenly split. To help clarify my use. I have use of a Bobcat if needed so I'd never be able to justify a FEL. My intended use for the 3PH is for a wood chipper attachment and a bush hog for the "field" portion of my property. Yes I am definitely doing a "Demo" before I buy. Again my main concern is being too underpowered with the 4010, otherwise that would be my choice. Everytime I approach the 2 local dealers that carry orange or blue and start talking $$$. Comparing apples to apples, they are not much if any cheaper than sticking with Deere. And maybe because my JD dealer is trying to "Retain" my business, the "real $$$" allowance for my 325 is better at JD dealer. I believe orange and blue are also quality machines. My personal pet peeve with both (or maybe I'm spoiled with my 325) is the lack of "Twin Touch" controls. In my opinion, Twin Touch is the nuts when it comes to smooth operator control. I'm sure I could get use to the heel & toe thing over time, but why force myself to adapt when Deere already has it.
I haven't heard any comments yet about the 4110. I take it that for my purposes, the extra money is not worth it.

To the gentleman in Iowa, Let me clarify my dilemma with wheel spin. 4-8" of powder is no problem for me either. Where I live the wind will drift the snow into a tight pack daily even 3 to 4 days after the latest snowfall. What I get is a 200' span of 2-3' solid drifts. It's normal for me to blow the driveway in the morning just to get the vehicles (both 4x4) out for work and then again in the afternoon just to get to the house after work. We live on a hill with a beautiful view of the valley..I tell my wife we have a nice 10 month home. Trouble is I haven't convinced her to move off the "mountain for those 2 months !!! (Joking)

I'm glad I found this site.......you guys provide valuable real world insight that you don't get from a brochure!

Again thanks for your help!!!! I'll let you know what I buy when I make that "final" decision. ....

View my Photos
JackIL

2002-09-21          42720

Mike,
I assumed from your first post that you had already ruled out the 4110 based on cost. It is substantially more tractor than the 4010 which is the "low price leader" unit. The 4110 is the updated 4100 whereas the 4010 is a reduced version. The 4110 has 3 more important horsepower (17), a higher capacity hydraulic pump, more 3 Point Hitch lift capacity, and larger tires. All of these add $ but it becomes a serious compact tractor and DEFINITELY worth the extra money in my opinion. It has the capability of handling a 60 inch deck in tough conditions much better than the 4010. Thus if you are going to compare the large lawn and garden tractor to a compact tractor the most reasonable comparison is to the 4110, not the 4010. Your most recent post also indicates you may potentially be interested in using a PTO wood chipper and PTO rotary cutter. The 4110 again would be the choice, but even here it may not satisfy you for wood chipping. It takes a lot of power to run chippers, and most I am familiar with recommend at least 20 PTO hp. You might get along with less but it will definitely mean smaller limbs and / or working more slowly.

Jack ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-21          42724

Mike, ditto to everything Jack said. I have a 4100 and I have not felt the need for more power yet. Strange thing about PTO chippers, for $2500 or more you get a machine that will chip about 3.5 inch sticks. For a $1000 you can buy a free standing model with its own engine that will handle 2 inch stuff. That's the way I went. Around my house anything over 1.5 inches is winter heat in the wood stove. Too bad we don't live closer. I would show you a barely broken in 4100 and throw in a wood chipper on the deal. ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-21          42758

Mike:
i have a x595. but i also have a 4700. i'm happy with both, because they aren't going to be used for functions beyond their strengths.
looking at your situation, i recommend the 4110 or something equivalent (if i was shopping, i'd consider seriously the NH boomers). The X595 is a top end mowing machine, with some additional capabilites. I just got a 54" front blade for snow, which looks super for snow and maybe moving some topsoil. i have a 120' steep driveway but i am confident it will do a good job either as-is or with chains. And the quik-tach would allow for easy switch to thrower or brush(not in the plan).
I also just had a 3ph installed and used it for the first time today. Although it's rated at 380# or so, i used a 400+# aerator easily. And the links reach standard pin locations on attachments. However, the hardware lacks convenience and is relatively light-duty (some pcs are aluminum too).
I could go on with observations and opinions about the strengths and limits of the 595, but it just isn't the machine to tackle jobs that a compact tractor will do with grace, ease, and efficiency.
So my performance rating 1-10:
Unit....Mowing(mid)....FrontSnow.....Rear attachments
595........8.5............7(?)............3
CT.........6(mmm).........4(FEL)..........8

I haven't mentioned the rear pto, because that brings cost into the discussion.
The X595 is EXPENSIVE. Even with the dealer working his magic with trade-ins, discounting, mfgr/dealer rebates, financing, etc, this baby will empty your bank account. If you buy one, you best figure out some dodge to keep the wife from seeing the receipts.
X595 with 54" deck and HD tires: $12960
3ph: $450, plus $50 installation (2 hrs mechanic time)
PTO: $700, plus 6 hrs installation (entire rear has to be disassembled. (maybe the dealer will discount the install).
Attachments: General comment -- absolutely out-of-sight, compared with regular JD stuff, let alone 3 party brands.
54" front blade (with quiktach, hydraulics): $1150
60" rear blade: $500
51" front brush: $2900 (includes the quiktach)
Brush guard for front grill: about $175
That's all I've either bought or been quoted.
I can't believe the cost of the 4110 with 3ph and pto, plus a 60" mmm, would be higher than the 595 with same hardware. As i first said, I'm happy and impressed with the 595 (my ala-carte money-pit), but have the 4700 for the serious stuff.
And I won't throwing any fits of indignation when the wife brings home a new outfit from the mall for many years to come. She has me cornered.
If you want more details on the 595, let me know.
jim ....

View my Photos
MikeMag

2002-09-22          42766

Thanks Jim ! The more I delve into this, the more I'm realizing your point about the "real" cost of the 595. Although I really don't want 2 machines, I'm coming to the realization that I may be better off getting a X575 to mow and blow. Then look for a "used" real farm tractor for the other chores. I live next door to a farmer who has 6 Fords. Ranging from a 3600 to a 7710. He has explained to me several times about matching proper HP with implement. I have sat down with my wife (she's the gardener) to discuss what we would use on the 3ph and PTO. After serious thought, we realized probably nothing. Someone on the board made an excellent point about a portable wood chipper for a grand vs an attachment for twice the price. What I have failed to mention earlier is I already have a new 47" JD blower which I purchased last year but have used only once due to the mild winter in our area last year. Since that is already bought and paid for, that is why I'm sticking with my Deere dealer. He said he would swap the front mount for $ 0. when I purchased the new unit. At $ 2800 for the blower, I don't feel like taking the proverbial bath that a blur or orange dealer would give me. New or otherwise.

Thanks for your input Jim ! The more replies I read, the clearer I am seeing the real deal on matching machine with use. ....

View my Photos
Don M

2002-09-27          43017

God knows I like my JD 755, which was the predecessor to the 4100 which was the predecessor to the 4110 series you are considering. But... From my point of view your flow chart is quite simple. If you won't need a front end loader, and if you won't need 3 point implements or rear pto implements, and if you need the machine mainly for finish mowing and snowblowing, and you have the snowblower to fit, you should buy the very expensive garden tractor, and not the "better value" compact tractor. Never thought I'd say that.
:-)

-Don M ....

View my Photos
radman

2002-09-27          43036

If you really just want to mow, consider a ZTR type mower. I just purchased a Toro Z master at an excellent price. 23 hp and 52" cut. It will definitely out mow any compact tractor and mower in speed, manuverability, and with much less time spent mowing. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-28          43046

Good points about the ZTR mower. We sell alot of these. But with cautuion. They have some limitations, just like any other machine.

The biggest problem they have is sidehill operation.

If your slopes are too steep, such as around a pond or along your road or drive, the ZTR can be a little tough to control. In some instances, the simply cannot be used to mow these areas. Before I recomend a ZTR, I try to learn the customer's terrain.

Another salesman here, took a John Deere M653 out on a demo last year, after about 30 min. of mowing, he made a sale. It was late in the day, on a Sat. and he needed to get home, so they elected to come in Monday afternoon and do the formalities of paperwork. These were local folks, and this practice is not uncommon to our dealership.

After he left, they drove the new mower over to the neighbors to show off. There own lawn is flat as table, but the neighbor's has a small stream running through the property, and, you guessed it. While mowing the bank of the stream, it started heading down toward the water. Every time they moved, closer to the water it went. The stopped short of getting water in their ear, and left it there 'till Mon. A.M. and then gave us a call.

No harm, No foul. But, it was a good lesson to the other salesman, who usually is very good. He will never forget to leave that information out of his "pitch" again. ....

View my Photos
Don M

2002-09-28          43053

ZTRs don't do snow very well.
Plus, they are not to everyone's liking for mowing either. I have used one several times. It mows faster. But it is not as relaxing as using a garden tractor. If you take your hand off the controls to scratch your nose or take a drink, you veer off course. A ZTR is faster but more work, IMO, making it a personal choice. ....

View my Photos
dcsmith

2002-09-28          43061

I would have loved the 4100 series tractor. The problem is I purchased a Kubota B7500 HSD for $9550. The 4100 was $10,800 HST. ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-28          43062

Have 15 hrs on my X595 now. Geez, it is a fine machine. It mows, it goes, it is the best at what it is intended for.
The 4wd gets it around on hill's, slopes and slippery grass with no sliding or spinning. The differential lock is almost unnecessary. In fact I forgot the unit was in 2wd for awhile and it went most everywhere i thought would require 4wd. Tackled some heavy mowing on a steep slope, but the engine never lost an rpm -- it's strong.
My installment payments for this toy will go on for some years to come, but i can't imagine ever regretting buying it.
jim ....

View my Photos
Stan_McC

2002-09-28          43063

Why not look at the 2210 that is coming out in November or December? It has the same size tires as the X595 but with the features of the 4xxx series. It only appeared in Deere's website for a few days but is still listed under the 'Build & Price' option. Base price for just the tractor w/ 4wd, cat 1 Ltd 3pt, 23hp diesel, mid & rear pto was about $10,200.00 ....

View my Photos
radman

2002-09-29          43092

Like Don M said, I wouldn't use a ZTR for snow. You can get a blade for them but still probably not worth it. I have my Kubota 3710 for FEL and other stuff. I have mower with PTO and MMM but the ZTR is much faster. I think they require more alertness because of the speed also. Mine can go just under 10mph. Dealer said once you get use to them, people can mow at full speed unless the ground is too rough. A few days ago, I mowed around over 400 trees (seedlings for windbreak and mature trees). It would take hours with my tractor and still not do as good of a job. I felt my self getting dizzy a few times from so many fast turns. Took about 1.5 hours with the ZTR. ....

View my Photos
Mickhippy

2003-02-21          49676

I purchased an X595 a couple of weeks ago for commercial/acreage residential mowing. Form what I've done with it so far it would do you well. I don't have snow here, but when it comes to lawns, its prefect for what I do. I looked at the ZTRs but from what I learnt from other forums they are risky on the hills. They maybe faster on flat ground but I personally like the old GT. Its done me well. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login