Go Bottom Go Bottom

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Sparky
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-07          42121

Anyone have the model JD 74 Front Blade for the 4300 or 4400? It is frame mounted and 66 inches wide. What do you think about it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-07          42130

You might want to check your tractor width and compare it to the blade angle width to see if it will still cover the tractor. ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Mick

2002-09-07          42133

I have a 4400 and was looking at them.Anyone have a figure that they are going for? ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Sparky

2002-09-08          42145

My dealer wants 2200.00 and I put it together and install on tractor. There are skid shoes ( extra money? JD book makes it sound like they come with it. will ask dealer Monday ) and wings for the side if you want to extend wider for snow, not dirt work though. Or it would have to be top soil or something light. I mainly need it to push dirt back in the ditch after I trench. Chances are I will just get the thing anyway but just was interested to see if anyone had one. Anyone have a used one or maybe a JD dealer willing to ship? ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2002-09-08          42149

I Have had a 66" front blade for 2 winters. It works very well with a 4300 & 4400 tractors. I only use it for snow removeale work, but is soild enough for dirt work. A 66' is the smallest you would want, It wind rows just beside the rear tires. ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
warren

2002-09-08          42151

I look at one a couple Yrs. ago Do you have to take of the brackets that holds the mmw on?It look like you have to install each time you need to put it on for the mower look like it would be a hassel, and a lot of time to do it.
Thanks ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Dana Trumpp

2002-09-08          42152

I dont use a MM Mower. But I use a loader. I was able to put loader & blade brakets on for good. I have no idea about a mm mower. ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-09          42193

We are a JD Dealer. Haven't sold many of the blades, but they are well built. Don't know off hand about useing in conjucntion with mmm, but will lookinto it when I get some more free time.

The reason we sell so few of those blades here is the fact that they are 2/3 the price of an FEL, and customers usually go ahead and get the FEL, since it is so much more versital, and I know for a fact it witll work with the MMM. If yau ad the 3rd Hyd function to the tractor......More later ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-10          42220

I haven't found anyone that is compatable between the mid-mower and the blade. The frame extending back to the mid-section of the tractor prohibits the two being used together. It took the industry several years to build the loaders to be compatable with the mid-mowers and I haven't heard of anyone doing the blade. ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-10          42237

Art, etal.

The JD blade and MMM on a 4300/4400 is a no go, the brackets for the blade interfear with the mower. ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-10          42259

mrethics:
have you done a front blade on a X595? I have one ordered to do snow, but am a little uncertain about the choice over a rear 60" blade. I have used a JD45-72" blade with JD4700 to plow snow, which worked very well.
jim ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-11          42287

Jim,

Haven't personally operated an X595 and 54" front blade in combination, yet. But, in my opinion, I think the two would be a great team. The Blade mounts and dismounts in a cinch. The 4wd on the tractor will make the whole thing shine. I've used 425/445/455's with the same blade and have always felt like there was a traction problem, even when properly ballestsed, so add the 4wd to the picture and it gets much better.

Overall, the X595 handled like a dream when I was mowing with a 62"C MMM. I have run that tractor also with a 45 loader, but not with the blade. To me, the loader still seemed slow and somewhat weak as compared to a 4100/410 combo. But it was still better than the old 455/40a models. And let it be said here that I eexpect ALOT from a loader.

As long as you keep in mind the fact that a blade and lawn tractor will not move as much snow as....say a 4310 compact with a 430 loader, you'll be just fine..

I' would take the front blade over the rear blade for snow removal. The visibility would be much better, and you are not constatly twisted around looking back at the implement. Also, you could still pull some tow-behind equipment while leaveing the front blade attached.

Another big pluss for the front blade is the fact that it has brakaway springs in case you hit a hidden imovable object, also it has skid shoes as standard equip, as rear blades have neither of these two options.

Good luck ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-12          42318

thanks mrethics. always a relief when someone confirms a "good" buy, before the equipment comes in.
jim ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-13          42340

I'd guess that a composition edge that won't mess up the surface of an asphalt drive more be more readily available for a front blades as well--if that's an issue.

I use a blower on our gravel drive and a neighbour's asphalt drive to take out the birm the highway plows leave across the foots of our drives and to cut down on how much he has to walk behind his big walk-behind blower. I don't take my blower on his drive unless there's snow pack on it because I worry about the blower's skid shoes messing up the sealer coat. I don't know how much of a worry it should be but I'd just as soon not experiment and make a mess. I believe that most plow truck blades around here have composition edges.

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-09-15          42432

hey mrethics -- have you seen the mid-mount blade for the X-4xx/5xx's? It's like what road graders have. I already committed to the front blade, but inquirying minds want to know.
jim ....

Front Blade for JD 4400

View my Photos
Wayne@flymha.com

2002-10-23          44117

I've got the 66" blade for my 4400. Well built. Too bad we didn't get any snow last year to use it. It does require you change out some brackets from the FEL, but then it mounts and dis-mounts as easy as the FEL. In my opinion, the top is a little short, and they do sell a 6" extension, so it should do heavier snow.

Wayne
www.flymha.com

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login