Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine Oil

View my Photos
MattS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-07-26          40690

I recently purchased a JD 755 but haven't been able to locate an operators manual yet. Can anyone tell my what weight oil I should use and what the oil capacity of the engine is?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Engine Oil

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-07-26          40691

15W-40 should be fine. Make sure you get oil rated for Diesel engines!!!!
But you'll need to know how much oil to put in. Are you going to the Deere dealer for the oil filter? They should be able to tell you the capacity. ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-26          40704

Matt, When I had my 755 and still do in my 4700, use a Synthetic oil (Mobil) Delvac 1. In the 755 I used 15W40 but now Mobil has it in a 5W40 and I use that. Never had any problems, always started good in cold weather. I saw a report once somewhere that the Army uses Delvac 1 in the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. After reading the report on the stress they had put the oil through, I thought it would easily stand up to tractoring, :)) Sorry I don't remember the capacity of the engine on the 755.

David

David ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-26          40708

I think it is about 4.5-5 quarts with the filter change. I normally have the manual sitting here near the computer in the shelf but can not find it right now. ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
Mark L

2002-07-28          40749

Hi

I have a UK spec 755 here in the UK - I was just about to post another question so thought it only fair I answered this one while I was at it! According to the manual on my desk here the crankcase capacity (including filter) is 2.9 quarts (Lot smaller than either the 855 or 955). I can;t imagine the USA spec version is any different.

Hope this helps - enjoy your 755 ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-28          40755

Good info. I'd keep in mind that the UK specs likely are in Imperial Quarts (about 1.1 liter) while oil in the U.S. probably comes in U.S. quart cans (about .94 liter). ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
Peters

2002-07-28          40760

And the critical answer is that the 755 needs 3.63 qt US. I still can not find my manuals, but I do recall now that the 755 had very different capacities than the 955.

Engine Oil

View my Photos
BudG

2002-07-28          40766

I bought quite a few used cars, trucks, and a couple tractors. None of them had a manual with them, so I just put oil in the engine until it came up to the full mark on the dip stick, then I'd count the empty quarts.
No matter what volume a manual would indicate, I still check the dipstick.
Bud ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
MattS

2002-07-29          40781

All,

Thanks for the responses. This helps a lot and I can see that this discussion board is going to be a very valuable resorce.

Thanks again,

Matt ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
trm

2002-08-02          40941

I have a 755 and my manual states 2.86 qts. The recommmended oil is John Deere Torq-Gard Supreme, other oils may be used if they meet the requirement of
API Service Classification CD/SF or CD/SE
SAE 15W40 for use between -20 to 104 degrees outside temperature. I use Shell Rotella Diesel oil. ....

Engine Oil

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-03          40956

I think that oil spec standards were changed fairly recently. I can't recall if the 'CD' spec is part of the new or old system. There also is the possibility that oils have evolved fster than owners' manuals.

At any rate, if there's a new spec system, oils specified in owners' manuals are still likely to be appropriate. There is the possibility that the manual specs may be more restrictive than necessary given the performance of newer oils.

A search on 'engine oil viscosity' will turn up a bunch of hits. The Valvoline site at http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=ccr20010101ov&flash=false has a good general description. From the reading, I found that the 'W' in oils is for winter rather than weight. I also found that the 'S' in API classifications is for service rather than spark and th 'C' is for commercial rather than compression. Maybe SAE took over the classification system and the S&P's really do mean spark and compression nowadays.

A decent article but related to motorcycles that also gives some viscosity data is at http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html. My brother-in-law talked about a site (Shell) maybe that gave very detailed data.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login