Go Bottom Go Bottom

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
deerecrew
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-11          39478

Anybody have any thoughts on installing and removing the 60" mid mount mower on the JD 755?

I'm going back and forth on whether to go with the mid mount or use the 3pt finish mower. I'm leaning toward the mid mount because of the potential to also mount a bagger to the system, but if it's a nightmare getting it (the deck) on and off, I might just go with the 3pt.

Would appreciate any input here. Thanks,

Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-11          39483

Going around trees are a pain with a 3pt. You have to look back a lot. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-06-11          39486

I've got the 3PH mower too.
There is a hassle when moving in close proximaty to anything (house,fence,trees, etc.).
My tractor came with the mower as part of the deal (it was a used machine). If I bought new, I'd give consideration to the MMM. But they are more expensive and dedicated to one brand of tractor. Obviously, you can hook the 3PH mover to any type tractor.
I also like the MMM since it adds weight LOW..just where you want it. Theoretically, it should lower the center of gravity...a 3PH mower won't..or not as much, anyway (once your tractor rolls, the 3PH mower would likely roll with it).
For me to add a MMM, I'd have to buy another tractor. It would cost too much to add the components to run the MMM.
The bagging thing is a good point. I wish I could do that. My next tractor may be set up so I can (tow behind units add too much length). ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
deerecrew

2002-06-11          39491

Thanks for the input on the mmm. Sounds like it may be the way to go for me, as I have quite a few trees to get around. Really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts on the matter. Thanks again,

Dan ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-12          39496

If mowing is the main chore the tractor will do, you should also consider that the MMM will take up much less room in your storage building than a 3PH mower.

Dennis
CTB ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-06-12          39500

Not a big fan of the MMM. It's expensive and usually only fits one model of tractor. More time consuming to remove and more difficult to clean underneath. The maneuverability issue can be argued both ways - personally I prefer the RFM for getting under evergreen trees without getting a faceful of branches. Besides, the first step in my mowing operation is to string trim around the objects. It only takes about 2 seconds longer per object to make the trimmed section a little bit wider. My only regret is not buying a walk behind string trimmer - this would make things easier.

I don't bag my clipping because, 1) I've got better things to do than worry about clippings on my lawn and 2) It's better for the lawn to leave them there.

Lots of people buy MMM's and prefer them - they're just not for me. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-12          39505

The MMM is more of an issue in installation and removal but, I used a set of casters and built a frame for a friend of mine to enable manuvering of the mower. It works great and allows him to roll the mower under a worktable in his shop when not needed so it's out of the way. Several people around here use rear discharge mowers (including myself) and mulching blades so we never need to worry about clippings. We all mow frequently as well. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-12          39506

I have a walk behind trimmer... A DR Trimmer.... it sucks!!! No two ways about it.... nothing is good about it... My stihl is the ticket... ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-06-12          39507

TC33,

Care to elaborate? "It sucks" doesn't really clear things up for me. Is it hard to maneuver or hard to start? Is it a pain to keep full of string or does it consume too much fuel? Is it noisy? Does it smell? Does it talk behind your back? Tell us.

My Husqvarna 24cc cost more than a walk behind. It takes a little over an hour to trim my property. It leaves me vibrating long after I've finished trimming. The tendons in my arm are on fire for the rest of the day. I thought that a walk behind would ease this pain as well as offer the following advantages:

1. Eliminate a crappy 2-stroke from my arsenal.
2. Ability to maintain the edges of my pasture.

So please - I am truly interested - do post the reasons for your claims of walk behind trimmer suckage.

By the way, I was more interested in the Troy-Bilt product since I haven't heard real good things about Tecumseh. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
warren

2002-06-12          39512

I have a D.R trimmer It's not bad but i up graded to the new head to put the string in it's not the greatest system.The string comes out if you happen to catch it right the old one no problem with that. I emailed them about that and no responce on their part.I would recommend to get no smaller than a 5 h.p.it makes the gover open up sometime so the smaller one doesn't have the power.I bought the key start model it never did work that well won't buy another one with electric start.The one i have one pull of the rope and were off.Save your $1oo. I forget one import thing it pushes a lot easier than the new lawmowers the new lawnmower added the bigger engine that added more weight and didn't improve the wheels causes it to push harder.
Warren ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
TC33

2002-06-13          39524

I probably should of explained the suckage a bit more... Since I just cleaned it up and used it for the first time this year it brought back memories of last year and why I went and bought a new handheld weed eater...

My unit is just about NEW it has a power starter, tach, battery charger, beaver cutter, and bulb digger... so I went pretty much all out when I bought it. I have over 100 fruit trees and a lot of pasture fencing to cut around. There are no issues with starting as most of the time it starts up pretty good with the electric starter and the power is good I don't remember the horses on it but I think it is around 5hp. Make sure you power down around areas that can't take a beating.. they do spin a mean line. One thing to note about all this.. I don't live on flat land...

Here are my complaints:

1. To change oil you have to remove half the bottom to get to a plug.

2. If you hit a small bramble or tree 3/4 to 1 inch the line gets ripped out many times.

3. If the line breaks off in the ball it is hell trying to get the remaining out.

4. It does suck down gas.

5. The locking device to hold the wheels at an angle keeps disengaging causing the unit to go into a different angle instead of straight.

6. Pushing the unint around a tree or post is a pain as with a handheld you just reach around.

7. Pushing up hills is almost a impossible mission not only the weight but balancing the ball so it doesn't press against the ground making it hard to push.

8. Pushing sideways on the hill causes oil to get in the carb making a great bug smoke out.

9. Pushing the darn thing all over 15 acreas.... bring the gas can with you and extra line.

10. I am trying to think of one more thing so I can make this a top ten list........ Oh..yea.. my wife and her mom.. my "Mother In-law" bought this together as a fathers day present... Mother In-Law thought she would use it too that's why it has the electric start.. well nither wife or mother will use it as it is a pain for them to push around. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-06-13          39525

Thanks TC. I'm not ready to go out and buy one yet - gotta wait until my Husq bites it. Problem(?) is that I bought this one because I wanted one that would last. It'll give me time to decide on a model and maybe the manufacturers time to improve their design. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
Mike S

2002-06-13          39526

I also have a DR Trimmer and actually like it. For me it is more usefull than the Stihl FS-81 that I had for many years. I have the 6.5 hp pro model. I would rather push it around than carry a heavy hand held. What I like most is that it has much more power than a hand held. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
Waterman

2002-08-15          41290

I hope this is in time to be usefull. I have a 755 w/ MMM and property with lots of small (8 to 12") oaks. I really like the MMM for what I use it for. I mowed my property once with my father-in-laws compact Ford with a RMM,and decided then that I wanted a mid-mount. A couple of hints:
If you have a loader, remove it to mow (if you have trees). W/O the loader my tractor handles just like a large garden tractor. My wife was skeptical, but once she tried it she's hooked. I have to fight her to mow. Removing the loader makes attaching the mower much easier. It's not hard, but practice WILL make it easier.
The only complaint I have is that I also have a 7 BH which uses a sub-frame. I can't use the mower at the same time, AND, the mounts for the frame must be moved to allow me to attach the mower. There are two "hangers" for the mower that have spring load pins, and guess what, the BH mounts are just a little too close to pull and lock the pins. Still, for me it works. I don't do much BH work in the summer (too hot!) so I just install the mower and leave it on. I give a big thumbs up for my mid-mount. Oh, and buy the way; if you're mowing tall grass, just don't lower the mower. Hope this helps. ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
Haras Lucero

2002-08-19          41395

I have a horse operation with lots of fences (electric and otherwise) that need regular weed-eating. After spending WAY too much time (and money on supplimental help) I bought a neat device called a Swisher Postmaster. Northern sells them for $499 plus shipping ($86 in my case to East TN).

It is a 5 h.p. pull behind string trimmer. The cutting head is on a spring and, when you encounter a post (or tree or other obsticle) it moves out of the way, then springs back. On level ground it is absolutely fantastic. On rough ground or very heavy vegitation it is less useful as strings break and you must shut down completely to replace them.

It is also VERY thirsty, running about 35 min. on a tank of gas.

There is a 4' bush hog put out by a Dutch company that has a swing arm cutter that does what the Postmaster does, but it costs almost $5000. I know a lady in Lexington, KY who is the Brood Mare Manager at a VERY high dollar TB operation. They have two and they replaced a crew of 6 full time weedwhacker guys. But $5Gs is a bit much for me!

I recommend you take a look at the Swisher web site and then the Northern on line catalog. This might be the answer for a lot of folks.

Bill Kambic

P.S. I don't get any commissions, dammit! ;-( ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
warren

2002-08-25          41623

Haras
I was wanting to take a look at the dutch company that has that outfit.Do you know the name and if they have a web site? Look at the swisher site got me interested in looking at one at a dealer.I don't like to buy something with that amount of $$$ and not see it in person might change my mind when you see it.It might not be made that well for what i need.
Thanks ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
warren

2002-08-25          41624

Roy
I have a 72" deere mower deck needed a vacuum system The main problem was deere not wanting to sell me the shoot boot that catches the grass.They have this over in the UK. but don't sell in U.S. so had to find dealer that would ship to U.S. I even talk to deere where they make the compacts he had the iformation about said they would't get it for me.I spent about 1yr.off and on got discourage for a while.The vacuum that deere has is 3pt and ran off the pto.The one i seen was old he wanted to much $$$$ for it so about once a yr.i woul be up that way he would still have it.I had an old trailer type change it to 3pt does pretty good but the green grass gets clog in the vacuum part.When you have a 8" tube going in and a 5" tube going out their is too much going in at one time.So I mow one day and go back over it in a day or two lets the grass dry and be lighter don't have trouble that way.
I don't understand why deere doesn't offer this vacuum system inU.S. they have differant sizes.It has some good features holds a lot more grass than what they have in U.S. pto driven no need for another motor and less up keep and you can dump the grass from the tractor seat.It looks on the order of a big round baler but smaller.
Warren ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
Haras Lucero

2002-08-30          41815

Hi, Warren!

I used to have a brocure on that Dutch machine, but tossed it a couple of years ago when I decided $5000 was a bit pricy for a 4' bush hog!!!!

I will contact my friend in Lexington and ask her for the brand/manufacturer name, model no., etc. She was very positive about them.

The little Postmaster does the job, but I think a proper bush hog with swing arm would be be better. Still, for the money, the Postmaster is not a bad deal.

Bill Kambic ....

mmm vs 3pt finish mower

View my Photos
guysnydr

2002-09-06          42070

Deerecrew,
To answer your original question about the mmm on the 755, they are a sinch to get on and off. Once the deck is under the tractor, it takes maybe 3-4 minutes to mount. Getting it off is just as quick or quicker. There are no bolts to tighten, just 6 quick pins and the pto to hook up and you're off an mowing. I am sure that you could dismount/mount a 3 point a little quicker, but believe me, it isn't a significant time loss once one has done it a time or two. It's a very nice, easy design. I doubt you would find it to be much of an inconvenience. Plus the deck can be locked in the full upright position for other chores, which is nice. I prefer a mid mount to a 3 point personally, and feel that the 3 points are somewhat cumbersome. I can see where they would both have their merits though. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login