Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4000 Ten Series-thread for all comments on new line

View my Photos
Bobby in Ca
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-07          38239

Can we start a thread for all comments on the new twn series-4000 series. I have been looking at a 4310 but heard little about the good or bad points. Also anyone with experience on the line or known problems please chime in

So far it looks like I saw a loader issue on the 4310 when using the number 48 hoe it was not attaching properly

Also the seat switch on another was set a little sensitive so going down hill the drivers weight would kick off the unit

Please keep the good and bad comments comming so we can have a thread

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bobby z

2002-05-07          38241

I like the new line, the new ehydro is great because the unit is electronically controled and now you have a hard time stalling the unit if doing loader work.

Nice looking to ....

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-07          38264

still have a problem with the 48 hoe on the 4310, the hoe will not fit,the little pegs rub the rear wheels.three weeks and still no fit,the dealer was going to tourch the pegs off but i said no way.They are suppose to have deere call me.For 29000. it better fit right. ....

View my Photos
Tom Rhom

2002-05-07          38269

Have you tried placing the tires in the "wide" position to correct the problem with rubbing? Installing the tires in the wide position is sometimes forgotten and is required for backhoe installation. ....

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-07          38275

what do you mean by wide position?

They verified the adaptor kit is correct, and also tried a new one. They consulted with Deere and verified the tires are correct. They have a 60 in mid mount mower on it so if you take the tires out any further it will rub on the deck

They indicated this is the first 4310 with #48 hoe shipped inthe country so the problem was just discovered

I dont want them to hack some structural pieces off to make it work, its the two flat pieces that look like steps, not the legs that rub

View my Photos
Tom Rhom

2002-05-08          38298

When preparing the tractor the backhoe operation manual reminds and tells you to place the rear wheels in the wide position. The wider stance makes the tractor more stable and gives you extra space. Since most of the tractors are shipped in a narrow position they need to be turned out at the dealership. Tractors used for mower on roadsides will often have the front and rear wheels in the wider position for stability. It looks a bit funny from the rear, but I was much more comfortable with the tractor on hillsides.

The 00 Series had some tire interference but mostly with the front tires. JD claims to have corrected those and other attachment problems with the 10 Series. I think they changed the attaching hardware for the mmm decks and can move the deck forward or backwards to keep away from the tires.

It sounds like a simple solution that is easily forgotten. I hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
Carter

2002-05-08          38330

Had a chance to look at the JD service manual on the 48 hoes and they mention that the steps have to be mounted away from the tires (towards the back of the tractor), maybe it's something as simple as swapping the stabilizers side to side? ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-08          38342

I believ I have the safety switch figured out on the seat of my 4310. I was able to adjust the yellow knob under the seat and it seems to have helped for the most part. Although the tires did lock up on me yesterday as I was going down a hill mowing. I know I am new to tractors, but I am not sure I like the tires locking up. When the tires locked up on me yesterday, I ended up sliding down the hill (it was a short hill), and I felt like I had no control over the tractor. It tore up the yard pretty good too.

Like I said, I am new to tractors and it may just take some getting used to on my part. I have only put one hour on it since I it was delivered last Friday. We have had heavy rain every day, and the days it didn't rain, my father in-law was either on it or I had other committments. It's a bummer. I have been looking at tractors for a year now and I finaly have one, but every weekend in May and the first weekend in June is tied up with weddings, graduations and baptisms.

I think once I get to actually use it to mow and use the loader, I will be happy with it.

Can someone tell me if it is difficult to set the tires out to the wider width?

Thanks for the tips and I will keep you posted on how I like my new 4310. ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-08          38343

I believ I have the safety switch figured out on the seat of my 4310. I was able to adjust the yellow knob under the seat and it seems to have helped for the most part. Although the tires did lock up on me yesterday as I was going down a hill mowing. I know I am new to tractors, but I am not sure I like the tires locking up. When the tires locked up on me yesterday, I ended up sliding down the hill (it was a short hill), and I felt like I had no control over the tractor. It tore up the yard pretty good too.

Like I said, I am new to tractors and it may just take some getting used to on my part. I have only put one hour on it since I it was delivered last Friday. We have had heavy rain every day, and the days it didn't rain, my father in-law was either on it or I had other committments. It's a bummer. I have been looking at tractors for a year now and I finaly have one, but every weekend in May and the first weekend in June is tied up with weddings, graduations and baptisms.

I think once I get to actually use it to mow and use the loader, I will be happy with it.

Can someone tell me if it is difficult to set the tires out to the wider width?

Thanks for the tips and I will keep you posted on how I like my new 4310. ....

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-09          38360

Don,

When it locked up on the hill, did the unit stall. I had this happen in the past but only if the unit was not running, my guess is the seat switch shut you down but then again on my 755 the seat switch only really shuts off the mower deck. What exactly happpened, what were you operating at the time.Were you breaking or using the low gear of the tractor ....

View my Photos
larry

2002-05-09          38374

I'm guessing you were going slow & the weight of the tractor forced you down the hill faster than the speed you were going.
Especially if the grass was wet,the tires will "slide" ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-09          38375

I was running the mower and was in low gear. The grass was a little wet and I was going slow, so it may have been the wieght of the tractor. It did not stall the tractor or shut the mower down though. It just locked the wheels up.

I think it will be fine once I get used to it. I just need to spend some time on it and get a feel for how it handles and what slopes I feel comfortable on. I am moving up from a Ranch King garden tractor, so this is a big step.

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-05-09          38408

Re sliding downhill, my guess is that you were in 2-wheel drive. When your rear wheels lock up, and the center of gravity is shifted to the front, you will indeed slide. I've done this twice already this new mowing season. Putting the unit in 4wd eliminates the slides because the front wheels act as brakes against the engine. Generally working (mowing etc) on hillsides requires 4wd fulltime.
If you don't have 4wd, well, go to plan b (slower, etc).
jim ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-11          38509

Thanks Jim. I will use 4 wheel drive next. I did finall get to spend some time on my tractor this week. I mowed with it and was happy with the job it did. It cut my mowing time considerably compared to my 46" Ranch King. I think it will go faster as I get used to it. I ended up using the Ranch King on the hill I slid on earlier, but I think the 4310 will work fine once I am used to it and use the 4WD.

I have only played with the loader a little bit. This is going to definitely take some practice learning how to use it. After this evening, I am defiitely going to be getting a ballast box. I learned real fast how easy it is to bring the back tires off of the ground. I was cleaning up some straw around my dog kennel and accidentally caught under the cement slab with the loader bucket. Definitely more weight than it could handle safely! Can someone tell me what a bucket level indicator is? I have seen guys mention this before but don't know what it is or does.

Also, does anyone know anything about a problem with rear wheel bolts coming loose? I have read about it a little in other posts but don't know what I should watch for. Should I buy a torque wrench?

Thanks for any input and I will keep you posted as I put more hours on my unit. It was definitely worth the year of waiting, shopping and researching! ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-05-12          38541

Dom (hope this abrev is okay):
A bucket level indicator is nothing more than a steel rod that attaches to your bucket and runs up a tube along the right FEL arm. After attaching the indicator, you simply level the bucket and note how much of the tip sticks out of the tube. When you change the bucket angle the tip of the rod, which is usually painted yellow (on JD's anyway), will be an indicator of the angle to the operator. It's a big help; you will appreciate it when you're trying to scrap, etc. Sort of odd that your dealer woundn't have recommended it to you when he set up the FEL for you.
jim ....

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-05-15          38642

Dom, as far as the wheel nuts/bolts coming loose, what my Kubota dealer did, after i mentioned my concern about the nuts, was have the mechanic torque the nuts to the proper torque, then he had him mark the location with a black felt tip marker, nothing gaudy, just a small black line on the nut and the rim, so i would be able to see it he nut positon moved at all...it kind of gives me a good feeling to just be able to look at the wheel when the tractor is stopped and know if anything is moving around or backing out, beats having to get the lug wrench out everytime u want to use the tractor....so far so good, but then i only have about 12 hrs on the tractor... ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-15          38663

Thanks for the info on the bucket level indicator. I will see how it goes before I consider adding this.

Thanks for the idea for keeping an eye on the wheel bolts. I will definitely try this.

I got to mow again tonight. Having the 72" deck has cut my mowing time in half almost. I am also starting a list of projects to do around the house. ....

View my Photos
jimbopa

2002-05-17          38730

Just off the my new 4310 so here is the first review

Very smooth power

Less noise than my 755

Cuts tall grass without bogging at all ,plenty of power

Much larger and powerful than my 755

Loader detached easy

Backhoe unhooks easy once you figure it out-never read the book so shame on me-it took me a good 20 min

60 in deck belly does a nice job cutting

did not know how to start the mower cutting, need to power down to 1/3 then pull up the front yellow mid pto and then the rear yellow pto knob-then power up to full speed. I had to go to the book for this after 1/2 hour trying on my own . Why do you have to pull both knobs up, I have no idea but I think this could be changed.

Biggest issue so far, I have a large hill and am very uneasy on the new tractor. Felt like I was going to flip once. Yes I was going up and down but as I turned it felt unesy.I was ready to call dealer and ask to trade in for a smaller unit. I guess I will get used to it but I think I may have went to big. The unit is a monster compared to the old tractor. I guess I will see how it is after a few more cuttings.

Switches-I have the ehydo and speed match and cruise. They need to do a better job labeling these switches they are marked but I dont know what the hell they are all for. You think they would have labled them with what they do. 4wheel drive on or off its simple. I guess I need to read the book.

Tilt steering wheel, Sticks a bit. I mean when I go to adjust the wheel there is a lever that you pull toward you. You then adjust the wheel and push forward when you have where you want it. It seem cheap , plastic and looks like it will not hold up.

Body, all fiberglass like most, I think the body could be a little stronger.It flexes when I get on and off-at 180lbs it should not

More comments after my next trip,

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-05-31          39227

So far I have put about 18 hours on my 4310 and I am really happy with it. This is my first compact, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I love mowing with it. It has cut my mowing time nearly in half.

Any problems I had early on turned out to be operator error and not a problem with the tractpr itself. The only thing
I have notice when using the loader is that the bucket seems to stop sometimes when dumping. If I let go of the lever and push it to dump again it dumps fine. It only happens on occasion. Not sure if it is a problem with the loader or something that is common. I amd operatin a lower RPM's. At what RPM should I be running when using the loader?

Also, should I use JD oil, hydraulic fluid, filters, et...? My dealer is about an houre away. If I should use JD brand fluids and filters, does it keep so I can buy extra and just keep it on hand?

View my Photos
DH83

2002-06-05          39349

DEALER DELIVERED NEW 4310 HST,72"MMM,430 LOADER,43"R4'S,
FROPS TODAY.WELL I PUT 5 HOURS ON IT TONITE MOWING YARD AND PASTURE (3FOOT GRASS).TRIED OUT LOADER,SCOOPED UP A
OVER FLOWING BUCKET OF BLACK DIRT NO PROBLEM,LOADER IS
QUICK.DISCONNECTED LOADER-NICE.DOES NICE JOB MOWING,HAD TO PUT DECK WHEELS ALMOST ON THE GROUND TO KEEP DECK FROM
SCALPING.E-HYDRO TAKES LOTS OF POWER GOING UP HILLS,I WOULDNT WANT ANY LESS HP.FLOOR BOARD GETS HOT AFTER AWHILE
MOWING,HAD TO PUT MY LEFT FOOT ON TOP THE BRAKE PEDALS TO
LET COOL,ONLY 65 DEGREES OUTSIDE,COOLANT TEMP OK.
DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAD THAT HOT FLOOR BOARD PROBLEM.
I COULD PUT MY HAND ON THE TRANS AND REAREND WITH OUT GETTING BURNT.E-HYDRO TAKES AWHILE TO GET USED TO,A LITTLE
JUMPY COMPARED TO MY JD425 I TRADED IN.VERY USER FRIENDLY
COMPARED TO THE JD 2640 I JUST SOLD,HYDRALICS MUCH BETTER
THAN THE 2640,2640 WAS VERY CLUMSY WITH 240 LOADER ON IT.
4310 RIDES VERY NICE,USED 1/2 TANK OF FUEL IN 5 HOURS.
NOW I JUST NEED TO FIGURE OUT ALL THE E-MATCH SWITCHES. ....

View my Photos
MR ETHICS

2002-06-07          39390

Dom.

There is a lever located benieth the Joystick for the loader.

In one position, it locks the Joystick so when not useing the loader, accidently hitting the joysticl will not move the loader

The last position is for normal operation, but not when useing the loader.

The center position (Open Book picture) is the Re-gen position. When operating the loader, use this position. It will keep the bucket from locking up when dumping.

I could get technical and tell you why, but it's time to feed the cows.

Hope you enjoy your tractor!!! ....

View my Photos
Roger H.

2002-06-08          39418

DH83, Just curious if you had your Load Match switch turned on (the one left of the steering column)when mowing. I recently tried out a 4310 with a 72" mid mower in grass about 2 feet tall. I was pretty impressed with it. With the Load Match switch on, the engine speed never dropped below about 2400 rpm. I was mowing in B range, with the pedal almost all the way down. When I hit a heavy patch of grass or went up a hill, the tractor would slow itself down automatically, but the engine never lugged down. The Load Match even worked with cruise control, slowing the tractor down as needed to keep the engine speed and power near its peak level. Great feature for getting the most work out your tractor. ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-06-08          39419

THANKS ROGER H.I WILL TRY THAT.DID YOU NOTICE YOUR FLOOR
BOARD GETTING HOT AFTER YOU MOW A WHILE?I MOWED MY DIKE ON
THE BACKSIDE OF MY POND LAST NIGHT,SO STEEP THAT YOU CAN'T
WALK UP IT BUT ONLY CRAWL UP IT,GRASS WAS 5FT TALL AND
HAS NOT BEEN MOWED IN 3 YEARS.4310 CRAWLED OVER IT IN 4WD
NO PROBLEM-VERY IMPRESSIVE.MY POLARIS ATV 4X4 400 WILL MAKE
IT OVER THE TOP IF I GET A RUN AT THE HILL. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-09          39421

Dom: As Mr. Ethics notes, a pause when dumping heavy loads is normal when using a standard hydraulic circuit. Basically, the load is trying to push oil out of one side of the cylinder faster than the pump can put it into the other side. As noted the fix is to use a regenerative circuit, which in loaders is often called a fast dump.

What else could be noted is that using the fast dump position reduces power of the dump. Power sometimes is needed to start dumping a heavy load. The bucket mouth may be straight up or even angled back towards the tractor when the loader carried high--when dumping a load on top of a pile for example. In these situations, the load will not dump on its own and some power is needed to 'push it over the edge.' I've never used a loader with fast dump so I don't actually know if the fast dump position would not provide enough power to dump some loads but I suspect so. Dump circuits also are sometimes used to place down-pressure on the ground (for compacting gravel for example) which also requires power rather than speed.

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-07-22          40581

I finally take possesion of my 4310 tomorrow... I have waited 5 weeks for the third SCV kit to come in! I am upgrading from a JD 650 and am really looking forward to the new tractor. The new tractor is an eHydro, and has a 420 loader with 73" bucket, HD 60" mid-mount mower, 65" Bush Hog box blade, back up alarm, implement lighting, fixed ROPS. The only good thing about having to wait 5 weeks for delivery is I have read ALL the manuals cover to cover at least 5 times and watched the 4000 ten series video too many times to mention. I guess its obvious I am a little anxious...
I will keep you posted on first impressions etc. ....

View my Photos
Fitch

2002-07-22          40589

Domenico wrote:

"Also, should I use JD oil, hydraulic fluid, filters, et...? My dealer is about an houre away. If I should use JD brand fluids and filters, does it keep so I can buy extra and just keep it on hand?"

Fitch replies:

The dealer I bought my 770 from, South Kern Machinery in Bakersfield (an excellent dealer), is quite some distance away, all of an hour or more. I found a local John Deere construction machinery (road graders, bulldozers, excavators, - yellow JD machinery) dealer. They can get all the filters for me and are local. I usually buy three oil filters, one fuel filter, and an air filter. I keep them on the shelf. They have a looooooooong shelf life. Right now I have an air filter, fuel filter, and two oil filters on the shelf should I need them.

I did add the filter minder gage to my 770 so I won't be changing the air filter unless it really needs it.

You won't go wrong using the oil and other fluids from the JD dealer, but you may find equally good material at the local auto parts store.

For engine oil I use DELO 400 15W40 - I buy it three cases at a time at COSTCO - three cases lasts me about a year. I use it in both my tractors, the excavator, and the Cummins in the Dodge. It meets all the required specifications for all of them - but your 4310 may be different so check first.

I buy the hydraulic oil at the local auto parts store - the owner knows there are a lot of tractors here, so he always has 15 or 20 five gallon containers in stock. I bought 5 gallons 4 years ago and have nearly all of it left. If you keep the dirt out of it, it will last a long time on the shelf.

I use normal chassis lube grease on all the tractors and the excavator. The local cheap house brand at the auto parts store. Nothing special. However, I do, religiously, always, every time, wipe the grease fittings clean with a rag or paper towel before I put the grease gun on them. On the excavator, because they are all protected (surrounded by a heavy steel ring), I blast them clean with compressed air before applying the grease gun. If one puts the grease gun on a dirty grease fitting, the result is a little bit of dirt washed into the bearing each time it is greased. Dirt is the enemy in bearings.

Fitch

View my Photos
DH83

2002-07-22          40593

Mowing with my 4310,72mmm tonight and heard a knocking noise from the mower,after removing the covers I found
2 of the mounting bolts in the mmm gear box busted off and
the other 2 were loose.After removing the gear box and
the busted off bolts in the gear box I found the bolt
holes will accept a 1/2" longer bolt,they were already
10.9 hardness bolts,so I will replace all the bolts w/longer bolts and apply loctite to the bolts---that
otta hold all that JD power.....Also mowing steep hills
tonight and noticed that the battery had acid out the
top of it.JD dealer had given me the updated cap w/hose
on it,I gess I need to try something else.Does anybody
know who sells a dry cell battery that will fit the 4310?
I tried one for a car application and I could not get the
grille back on.Thanks ....

View my Photos
TimB

2002-07-23          40611

DH83 - What "dry" battery did you try. I'm using the Optima "Red Top" 800 in my Jeep - and it seems a little smaller than a typical "group 24" battery. They make a few even smaller. Not cheap, but so far I'd say these are great batteries - single digit temperatures last winter and the Jeep fires up like is was 70 degrees out. And no spilling.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/

Also this site has some dimensions (couldn't find them at the factory site)that may help the fit.

http://www.optimabattery.com/optima.cfm ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-07-24          40639

The 4310 was finally delivered. I didn't get to do much with it, mowed about an acre(really 1/2 as the drought has killed half). I wont mow the rest of the pasture until we get some kind of moisture... The tractor arrived in a non show room state, I know what you are thinking but I think when you spend this kind of money it should look shiny and new. It makes me wonder if they went through the pre-delivery check lists etc. I will do the thorough check list myself from the manual. Also, there was no formal turn over/training. It was a good thing I had the manuals for five weeks to read over and over again. I feel sorry for the poor guy who doesn't. There are a lot of little gothchas if you aren't instructed on them or learn them yourself through the manuals. I did not get the Mid-Mount Mower manual until yesterday, so unfortunately have NO knowledge of this implement. It seemed to work fine but I really don't like using something so expensive without completely understanding it.
All of the above aside the machine is an ABSOLUTE dream. I cannot even compare it to my mfwd 650. It rides like a dream, extremely comfortable and infinitely adjustable seat, flat operator station, perfect control placement. The eHydro is incredible. It is easy to use and manuever. So far I am enamored with it, hopefully the luster wont wear off... I will post more when I have more time with the tractor, so far so GREAT! I could submit digital pictures to the photos section if anyone is interested. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-07-24          40642

I'm glad you're happy with your new baby. I've had my 4610 for little over a month and I love it. I truly love that ehydro.

Billy ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-07-24          40656

TimB,I tried a optima and it was too wide,the battery can
be no wider than 5.5" wide or it hits the grille.I found a
battery thats the same size a the JD battery it made by
PowerSonic,its completely sealed up for 84 bucks,I'll
let you know how it works.I went to the Optima web site
and they don't offer one that narrow.Too bad because I
heard the optima's are about the best you can buy. ....

View my Photos
TimB

2002-07-25          40670

DH83. Let us know how that battery works out. I really like the idea of the "sealed" batteries - and specifically the supposed durability the rolled Optima design. A shame they don't have anything quite small enough (except for doing something weird with two 6v cells perhaps.) ....

View my Photos
warren

2002-08-02          40934

I was wondering have any of you bought the optional telescopic 3pt? How do you like it? With te switches on the fender How does the viberation react on them? Did any one put chains on the rear hows the clearance on the switchs? ....

View my Photos
warren

2002-08-05          40996

I was also disappointed that deere didn't adress the control that ajusts the mower deck i guess their wasn't enough complants on it or they didn't know how to fix it. Who wants to count the rounds that you turn to set it each time you raise it to keep it up while you use another implement.I don't like to leave all that weight on the cylender for a long time so i turn the knob all the way up then release the cylender and put the weight on the bolt put then you loose you setting on mower deck.What i did was to buy a locking nut that i set one time then i just turn the wheel until it stops you get the same setting every time and don't have to count rounds.When you want too raise it 1/2 inch or what ever the you measure the deck like you did when you started out.Like you mow 2 1/2 in.then raise the deck 1/2 in.hthen you are mowering 3 in.I generaly mow the same height all the time so it's a piece of cake to get back where you started from.Sure beats counting easch time.
Warren ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-05          40997

Warren,
From your last post I guess you bought a 4000 ten series? I didn't see any posting on what you ended up buying... Just curious.
Is your last post talking about a belly mower? I haven't had any trouble adjusting mine, I put it up as high as it will go... I just wished it went higher!
Matt ....

View my Photos
warren

2002-08-05          41000

Mat
I got a 4400 with a 72 in. belly mower i like it but their are somethings they could improve on.Things that would make it faster and easier to adjust.You don't have to count the revolutions and if you miscount then it,s not right.What do you use your mower for?
Warren ....

View my Photos
DH83

2002-08-05          41002

Warren,does that 4400 have plenty of power to turn that
72 incher on the hills?My 4310 could use a little more hp
while mowing up hill,the load match feature helps out a
bunch.Was moving dirt the other day with the loader and
I guess I got some dirt clods on top the mower deck,then
while I was mowing one of the dirt clods got down into the
belt&pulleys and threw the belt off(very hard dirt clod huh).On the upside my selling JD dealer called me and said
they were on there way over to do a tilt wheel update
campaign.They are located 100 miles away.It took them
about a hour to do the update.The update is for all
4000ten series.

View my Photos
joe4110

2002-08-05          41005

Trouble with my new 4110 FEL.
This is the second time my FEL failed. The first time it occurred the FEL would only tilt at the bucket. I contacted the dealer who repaired it. He stated it was a defective coupler in the hydralic hose. Now it happened again about a month after the first time. Does anyone else have this problem or know why this is happening? Is it a weak link in the new design? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-06          41011

Had the same problem with my 4100. If my memory is right, the fittings came loose on the mounting flange and the quick connectors could not couple with enough pressure to activate the valve on the male coupler end. Get a couple of wrenches and make sure the fittings on each side of the mounting flange are tight. I did it while everything was connected and was able to use the threads tightening to relieve the pressure in the system at the same time. Once I got it snugged up it was not a problem again. ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-06          41014

Warren,
I have the 60" 7 Iron commericial belly mower. I don't know how different the 72" and 60" or the 4000 series mounts compared to the 4000 ten series. I use mine to mow pasture, not a nice pasture, weeds, cactus, grass, alfalfa... It is mostly flat, there are a few trees on part of it with an irrigation ditch around the perimeter. The severe drought has forced me to cut it as high as possible so it doesnt burn. We need rain! ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-08-07          41040

What do you mean when you said your dealer was coming to do a tilt wheel update??? I haven't heard anything about any recalls or anything like that. I have a 4310 with loader and 72" mid-mount mower. I love the tractor! I have only mowed with it a few times due to lack of rain, but I have used the loader more than I ever thought I would. It seems to have plenty of power to meet my needs.

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-07          41050

Dom,
The tilt steering on the 4000 ten series has a problem with sticking/locking... When I was messing with my 4310 at the dealership it continually got stuck, the mechanic saw what was happening and told me there was a service bulletin on this problem. I made sure they applied the bulletin before I took ownership. It tilts smooth as butter now. Yours may not have the problem if you have not noticed it by now, it is a very obvious problem. The steering wheel tilt is unchangeable and you can't lift the plastic tilt release lever to free it, you would definitely know if it was happening to you... ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-08-12          41173

Matt,
Well, my tilt wheel got stuck this weekend. Do you happen to know what the service bulletin number is for this problem? I called my dealer and they asked if I knew the bulletin number, as it would make it a little easier for them to find. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-12          41175

Dom,
Sorry, they never told me a number... I can call the dealer and see if they know it. Let me know. ....

View my Photos
MRETICS

2002-08-12          41180

The kit for the steering column is #02lv064. Not all tractors were effected, contact your dealer and give him your pin #, he should be able to tell you if it is needed on your tractor. ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-12          41182

My 4310 was one of the "not affected" seriel numbers but was very much infected, after they applied the fix no problems. Dom, if its stuck, like you say, then I would have the dealer apply the service no matter what.
Matt ....

View my Photos
Domenico Spinelli

2002-08-12          41188

It's definitely stuck! I will call my dealer tomorrow with the kit #. The tractor is also about due for the 50 hour service. Should I have the dealer do this at the same time or is this a fairly quick and easy thing to do myself? Is there any merit in having the dealer do this in case there are warranty issues that come up later? If I have the dealer do this, should I have them look at the mower and loader at the same time? Thanks for the input. This is my first tractor and I have alot to learn. ....

View my Photos
Randy North TX

2002-08-13          41228

It sounds like everyone likes their 4000 Ten Series tractors. I ordered a 4110 with the 410 loader and the LX4 rotary mower yesterday and can't wait for it to show up. I had looked at the orange tractors (I Always wanted a Deere but thought they were too much money). I decided one day to stop by the local John Deere dealer to see what he could do. The dealer gave me a great deal, and for around $500 more than an equally equipped B750 I own a Deere. This is my first tractor as I just moved onto 7 acres from always living in the city. Any pointers on the delivery and the break-in. ....

View my Photos
matt_barb

2002-08-15          41276

Dom,
I am not a tractor expert by any stretch of the imagination nor am I a mechanical guru but I plan to do my own servicing up until I hit the 200 hour interval. Up until this point things are pretty straight forward, you should easily be able to accomplish them, it is a good way to get to know your tractor too. The service points on our 4310's are very user friendly and explained well enough in the manual. I understand the apprehension, you'll do fine by doing it yourself. As far as the warranty goes I don't think this would be a problem. Save your receipts from your oil and filter purchases as a "proof" but I have never had any problems with John Deere standing behind there products. Since they are going to have to do the tilt steering service I would see if you could get a deal on the service when they fix the tilt... Matt ....

Link:   Service Story

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login