Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 PT concern

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-14          37415

My tractor's 3Pt arms won't hold up an implement (eg #45-6' blade) when the engine is shutoff. Takes 1-2 hours for the load to settle from highest position to sitting on ground.
Do i have a problem?
jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 PT concern

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-15          37423

Leak down makes the pump work a little harder but really isn't a problem unless it's severe enough to interfere with operations. Substantial leak down usually is accompanied by the hitch cycling up and down when the tractor is running. More or less continual changes in height might be a problem for something like a 3ph mower.

Leak down may not present much of a problem but it does tend to precede many types of complete failures. One approach might be that it's best to attend to something when it can be planned rather than wait for a crisis.

If I decided to fix something like that myself, I'd probably order a complete rebuild kit and wait for a period when I wasn't expecting to use the tractor much. There are a number of seals etc. that can cause the problem. I figure that I'd want to replace everything rather than risk not diagnosing the exact problem or having something else fail and then having to do additional tear downs.

3 PT concern

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-15          37466

Jim, somewhere on this board I once saw the factory specs for leakdown. I can't remember what brand it was for, but I remember that what was considered acceptable was more than I would have thought. Your dealer should have the specs for your tractor.
Bill ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-15          37469

Jim, that much leakage is considered excessive. If your tractor is under warranty, I would definately get it repaired now. If it is not in warranty it all depends on how much it bothers you. As long as it does what you want, it shouldn't cause any additional problems. But it will probably tend to get worse as time goes on.

3 PT concern

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-16          37489

thanks to the replies. i've noticed implements mounted on tractors at dealerships seem to stay hoisted up. my concern is primarily for trailering - my rear blade lowered down to the ground while the tractor sat on the trailer overnight. i'm not a do-it-yourselfer, so i'll see what it costs to fix.
jim ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-16          37495

This might be an aside Jim but you really want to have tbe blade or implement as low as possible when trailering. You need the center of gravity as low as possible. ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
Doug L

2002-04-16          37502

Leaving any implement or the loader off the ground unattended is a hazardous situation and an accident waiting to happen. It's too easy for someone to come along and push the 3ph or loader lever and drop the implement. It's a good habit to shut off the engine, set the brake, and cycle all of the hydraulics when parking you tractor, at least in MHO. Hope there's no kids around your place they love to play with all the buttons and levers. Just some food for though, but I'd hate to have an injury on my conscience that could have been easily avoided. ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-04-16          37505

Those leak down specs were for Deere FEL's. I have never seen a spec for leakdown for the 3ph. ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-17          37524

Jim: You might want to change the hydraulic oil and filter before considering repairs. Mine was approaching a scheduled change and I didn't know if the previous owner even kept up the scheduled maintenance. I changed the oil a bit early, and it seemed to clear up some sporadic small problems. However, I haven't specifically heard that changing the oil improved a leak down, but then I haven't heard that it doesn't work either.

There was quite a bit of suspended material in my old oil, and I believe that's normal. The idea of changing oil is that o-rings and poppets etc. may seal better with cleaner oil.

3 PT concern

View my Photos
BillMullens

2002-04-17          37537

Mark, you're right, the specs were for FEL's. I wonder if any specs for 3ph would be similar? The only references I could find in an internet search were specifically for 8N's, and they didn't get specific. I believe the standing rule around here is "Some leak down, some don't". If it doesn't interfere with operation of the implement, most people just leave it alone. It sure would bother me on a relatively new tractor, though.
Bill ....

3 PT concern

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-04-17          37540

My FEL leaks down, and my three point doesn't. Go Figure.
Doug is right. Those things should be grounded anyway when not in use. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login