Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
Farm Boy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-12          37337

Well.......
I bought the tractor new in June 2000.
1. About March of 2001 differental lock failed and tractor would not start about 50/50 of the time,and bolt came off 1 common break pedal on the right side (hydro) dealer comes and gets the tractor,end up replacing hydro tranny,new differental lock,starter and fuel pump.They bring it home and I go out and still have problems starting it 50/50 time.
2.Fall of 2001 it goes back to the shop for small leak in rear-end which was result of repairs in March of 2001.
ALL OF THE ABOVE WAS REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY

3A.(April 2002)Tractor is in shop now(for new loader) and loss of power/loose wheel bolt problems and a blinker switch problem.....Come to find out brakes were seized up and rear end is torn apart and they are in the process of freeing the brakes up so they will not put a drag on tractor when running.
THE ABOVE (3A) IS BEING REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY
B. Wheel bolts backing out of wheels,predominantly left side.When using the tractor for an afternoon(4 hours + or -)have to tighten wheel bolts up at least 2 times,last trip out I took hammer and wrench with me.John Deere is bucking me on this problem.Here is why acording to them........My tractor originally came with R-4 tires,last summer I bought R-1 tires and rims because the R-4's were not aggressive enough.I intalled the R-1 tires and rims myself.John Deere is saying one of the reasons they will not cover the loose bolt problem is because a John deere dealership did not install the R-1 tires.Well I had no problems with the bolts coming loose....and in the meantime my tractor had to go back to the shop and have the leak fixed.......So a John Deere dealer took the R-1 wheels and tires off and fixed the leak and reinstalled the wheels and tires, and everything was okay until this February (ish) and I started to have a problem with the loose bolts. The dealer comes down to put a part on and did not have the right tools,so I decided to order a loader in the mean time and the dealer says the parts(loader) will be in about a month and they will look at the loose wheel bolt problem and install the part(starting related part) when the tractor is in the shop they were not able to install in the field(lack of right tools)Also they are going to install a loader I ordered. Well I call my dealer the other day to see how things are going and he says ok,they are freeing the sticky brake problem up,but.........The John deere representative says John deere will not cover the loose wheel bolt problem,which now needs new axles, hubs and seals because the loose wheel bolts has damaged my tractor( Problem is I installed the wheels my self and did not torque)repairs unless John Deere decides otherwise.I figured it up I have spent a little over $30000 on this tractor and attachments so far and the tractors warranty will expire in June of 2002.
Well I told John Deere they had the wheels off in the fall of 2001 and re-installed and I did not even have 50 hours back on the tractor before I started to have loose wheel bolt problems,when they fixed the leak.

Post Extras:

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
larry

2002-04-12          37356

Is this a John Deere or a Chrysler? ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
keith rose

2002-04-13          37379

Not only do they cost more green in the initial purchase, but they cost more green $ to keep running. If I where you I would get rid of that lemon! Have to agree with you larry, bought my first chrysler product two years ago and what a piece of junk! Should have stuck with ford or GM. ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-13          37382

Any company can build a lemon. I had a string of problems with my TC29D, that is why I traded it before the warranty ran out. The auto industry isn't much different, I drive a GM for a company vehicle and this one at three years old has had several repairs not related to wear and tear as opposed to the Dodge and Plymouth K cars, Spirits and Acclaims they ran until no longer available. Out of our entire fleet they replaced one engine at well over 100k, never replaced a three speed automatic transmission (which is all they bought) and ran them until the bodies were too discusting for public appearances. We STILL have a couple of them for loaners. Biggest problem with the GM's has been EGR, transmissions and fuel pumps. The Fords are plagued with electrical problems (excluding the newest batch of cars). So to say one major brand is far worse than another is very relative. I believe Ford just confessed to a major QC problem. ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-13          37389

I hate to say it, but it sounds as if you have a bad dealer. Most dealers will go out of their way to try and get something covered under warranty for you. If I were you , I would send some letters to Deere and see if you get some action. My dealer has not had any problem getting loose wheel problems covered. There has been enough problems to issue a service information bulletin. Tell them you are aware of SIB 01-11-35-05. Deere's recommended fix is to helicoil any damaged holes in axle and install new wheels with LVU12708 bolts and 24M7436 washers. They are doing away with the tapered seat lug bolts. ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
PWG

2002-04-15          37444

I am on year 2+ with my 4400. The only problem was the seat switch failing and battery leaking. Everything was repaired on warranty. It sounds like the dealer might be over his head in some of these repairs. ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-04-16          37478

so when the tractor was in the shop to get the leak fixxed, was there no mention of damage to the drive axle or anything back there at all, it seems the mechanic would have noticed it if there was , and he shouldnt of put the wheeels back on...my thought would be to tell dealer that his mechanic put wheels back on incorrectly, thus causing damage to drive line....i wouldnt pay for damages, and tell him u are gonna buy the FEL from another dealer if he cant get this setttled to your satisfaction....if worse comes to worse, dont pay the bill and take your chances in small claims court, if he decides to push it that far, u have a pretty strong case in my opinion....i would push for mechanic's fault if it were me since u had no problem untill they R/R rear wheels... ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
Farm Boy

2002-04-18          37610

Well,
I have my tractor back now,I have a new loader but have not been billed yet,I have not heard from John Deere either.Last week I called John Deere with my complaint and was given a case number and was told John deere would get back in touch with me. I am still waiting to hear from them and waiting to see what all is on my bill.I am wondering if the dealer will charge me for the wheel repairs.If they do charge me for the wheel/bolt repairs and if I have not heard anything else regarding my claim,I may just pay for the loader and not the wheels/bolts(considering this case is still unresolved).What course of action would John Deere have? Take me to small claims court? ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
bigbukhntr

2002-04-19          37643

yes farmboy, depending on the amt. billed, their recourse is to go to court and sue u...or else u might try and work it out with em...maybe pay for parts only, or somethihg along those lines...u seem to have a pretty strong case though....i would print out all the info u can find on this site as well as others, show judge u have always paid your tractor and repair bills with no problem before this, and tell the judge that the tractor was in the shop and no mention was ever made of the worn parts, only after the dealer remounted the wheels and tires did the damage occur..my guess is the dealer doesnt want to lose any future business from u and will work it out with ya...if not, there should be other dealers around u who will want your business ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-20          37661

Some states have a law called a mechanics lien. They can keep your machine when work is not paid for and after 60 or 90 days, they can sell it to recoup their costs. A word to the wise.... ....

John Deere 4400 problems

View my Photos
bigbuhhntr

2002-04-21          37691

true, but they all ready gave him back the tractor, fixxed the problems, and havent given him a bill yet...sounds like they arent real confident about getting paid on that job anyway...maybe they know the right thing to do is work it out with john deere rep and let this man have his $30k tractor which he paid for....thats alot of money for a tractor which has been nothing but problems since first few months of ownership....again, we are only hearing one side of the story, but it sounds all to typical of what the reaction of some dealers has been in the past...and this wheel problem is not anything new to the j d factory reps...he bouth a loader, so he sounds like a good customer who gave j d a second chance in spite of all the previous problems, so i wouldnt want to lose him if i was his dealer ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login