Go Bottom Go Bottom

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Rod in NJ
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-17          36423

First of all - love this web site. Thanks Dr. Nek. I need some help! I finally have the wife letting me at least think about a compact tractor. We have 11 heavily wooded acres and a 300yrd crushed stone driveway. I am a big JD fan - stock holder for 10 years and we had their tractors growing up. I have a ton of bucket work to do - crushed stone, mulch, heavy rocks from an old stone fence and topsoil to move and grade. I also have to maintain the driveway. I have looked and driven the B7500, 4100, and the new 4110 - all hst. The 4100 has some good closeout deals right now but still does not bring it down to the price of a kubota B7500. I also got a price on the new 18.5 HP 4010 - very competitive but I think I may kick myself later becuase of horsepower (14 PTO). SO, do I go green or go for orange for a couple of thousand less? Do I go for the new Deere's 4110 with the new bells and wistles? I am looking to get a front bucket (410), rear blade and maybe 54" belly mount(my wife thinks I will look foolish cutting less than an acre with a compact tractor!) By the way is the deere 54" mower on a compact a clean cutting grooming mower? Thanks for your help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-17          36425

Rod,

I owned a 4100 with 410 and 60" deck, which I would recommend over the 54" due to the width of the tractor. The 54" is a bit too narrow in my opinion. I don't know about your other uses, but for major rock and stone hauling, I woulld almost want to go for a bit larger machine, with 11 acres you will use it eventually. I would lean towards a TC25 or 29, a 4200 or 4300 J/D or a minimum of 2710 in the Kubota line. I have been where you are at now and kept traded up until I have the machine I should have bought in the first place. Costs more to do it the way I did! By the way, the mowers on all of these machines cut beautifully. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-17          36434

I don't mow with my 4100 so I cannot help there, but one of the factors I looked at when deciding between the K 7500 and the JD 4100 was weight. If memory serves (always a risk after 50) the 4100 is 300+ pounds heavier than the 7500. A bit more traction is a good thing. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-17          36435

I guess I am with Mark. I would spend the money on a little more powerful machine. I also made the mistake of not purchasing a large enough machine at the first. Realize that the HST will provide less power to the wheels than a manual transmission. Do not get stuck with new, if you can find a tractor with low hours and a private sale you can still buy green and have what you need. I picked up a 99 JD 950 with low hours and FEL last year for 11.5K. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-03-17          36449

Rod, I have a 4100 with a 410 loader and 54" mm mower. This an ideal size compact for your needs in my opinion. The 54" mower cuts great, sure the 60" would be better, but I have no complaints. I would go with a new 4100 sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere just waiting to be cleared out before the new models arrive. From what I can tell there was nothing but cosmetic changes between the 4100 and the 4110. Performance specs are the same. I would shy away from the 4010 with only 14.5 PTO HP if you ever intend to use any PTO implements. I'm not however a proponent of more power is always better. I have used my 4100 to do many tasks from plowing and rototilling to snowplowing, mowing, boxblading and ditching with my 3pt blade. Not to mention lots of loader work. Based on my experience, the 4100 can handle: a 5 or 6 foot rear blade, a 4.5 foot boxblade, 52" tiller, 4' rotary cutter, post hole digger, 5 foot grooming mower. The loader can lift 880 pounds (with proper ballast) and the 3 pth can lift 930 pounds. If you need to use larger implements than this, or say need a backhoe for heavy use or need more loader or 3pth lift capacity, THEN you need a larger tractor. Otherwise the 4100 will suit you very well. One last thing, if you are going to be mowing finish lawn and using the tractor in your woodlot, be sure to get the R4 (industrial) tires. Turf tires won't last long in your woodlot and Ag (R1) tires will destroy your lawn. The R4s are a good compromise for all uses. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-18          36458

It sounds like most of the property will remain bush. Ordinarily, most people think of a larger tractor to maintain that much land, but a smaller one likely will do the job is most of the land isn't worked. That's my situation as well. My wife and self like our bush as bush. We have something under an acre of lawn on each of two properties--actually finish mowed meadow may be a better description.

I have a 24 pto hp tractor because I need the size for trenching depth and material handling capability. The tractor is too big for mowing and I use a riding mower. You might think through potential lifting, trenching etc. requirements to ensure that a particular tractor will do the job. Tractor size always is a compromise, and I don't think one size ever quite fits all. My 24 HP doesn’t do of my on-going work well, but I can't call a contractor every time I have to lift a pallet or dig a trench or posthole. But it does mean that I have to use other equipment for smaller jobs. I did contract out the heavier parts of a building demolition several years ago. A tractor that could have handled that work would be really awkward for most of my on-going jobs. I'd get a size that's best for the on-going work.

Maintaining a 300-yard gravel drive may take longer with the smaller implements that smaller tractors use, but the work can be done. There may be an exception however. I use a 6' scraper smooth and keep good crowns on my drives. I use the 3ph side leveler to set an angle for my crowns. The 6' width is just about right for cleaning out the ditches and touching up the crowns in one pass a side. A narrower scraper and I'd have to try to cut the same crown angle in several passes a side (tricky) or leave too wide a head on the crown. Anyway, 300 yards is a fair piece to maintain and maybe a bigger tractor is worth considering.

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-18          36465

The HP of the tractor and the weight are not one in the same. My 955 tips the scales at 2000 lb and has 28 hp PTO. I would not necessarily mow with your tractor, but the newer tractors are designed for mowing with the super steer etc.
Mine does nearly as good a job as the lawn tractor. The only difference, is with the width of the finish mower I can dig in on a negative radius. It probably would do better with a belly mower but that would limit my flexibility. I sold my lawn tractor.
As with any thing you give up something, I don't believe that the newer tractors as rugged as yours.

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Mr Ed

2002-03-18          36468

I have 11 acres and a 4100 with a 60" belly mower, loader, 10" wide field drag, turf tires and a post hole digger. About 9 acres are horse pasture and 2 are lawn and my driveway is a half mile long asphalt. I mow, plow, dig post holes and drag the fields with the 4100. No problem. This machine has handled it all.

I was concerned when buying that the 4100 would not be powerful enough to pull the drag, but it does with no problem. I got the 4100 over a 4200 or 4300 due to weight when mowing. The heavier machines, even with turf tires can dig in and also cause a strain if you are crossing a septic field. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Stan N

2002-03-19          36498

Mr Ed

How well does it work w/ post holes - what size auger, what type soils, etc.

thanks,

Stan ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Rod in NJ

2002-03-20          36547

Thanks for all your replies - very useful information. I think I am set on the Deere after driving both Deere and Kubota. After seeing the FEL removal demo and using twin touch hydro pedals - I was sold on the Deere. Couple more questions - I presently have a 16 HP 52" commercial walk behind mower that cuts beautifully. I was thinking of selling it and getting the 54" deck with the DEERE - just to have one pc of equip. that does everything. But the 54" deck is about $1500 and wonder if I should just get the tractor for the bucket and rear blade work? I also have a lot of leaves and was thinking about a trac vac some day that will probably work well with the Tractor.
Last question - You guys made some good points about tires. I can't decide between Turf or R4. If I decide to cut with the tractor - will the R4 kill my lawn and if I do a lot of work in the woods with stone fences - will the turfs not hold up? Decisions, decisions.
THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-20          36550

Rod;
The R4 work fairly well on the turf as far as I know. I have the R4 on the back and the turfs on the front. I have heard some comment of R4's digging in on the front. This was the experience of the landscape contractor I bought the tractor from and he changed them out. You can get them for as little as 30$ if you need to.
The turfs that I had were fine in the woods. I used my tractor a lot on an area that a friend logged and I used for cutting fire wood. I never had any problem with cuts, except for nail punctures. I have had a lot more trouble with the Ags on the big tractor with cuts. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-03-20          36559

Rod, I've never had a problem with R4s damaging my lawn, except for small imprints when I drove over the lawn during spring thaw, when the ground was very soft. I have them all around. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-21          36567

I have heard that turfs have huge puncture problems in any bush where there are locust or other types of thorn trees. R4's are more puncture resistant than ags and especially turfs. I haven't had any problems with turfs in the bush around here. ....

4100 4110 4010 vs B7500

View my Photos
Better Late Than Nev

2002-06-17          39619

I live in the Texas hill country and have a 4100. There is very little soil and mainly rock. I have a box blade with chiesels and have extended them fully to chiesel it up. The 4100 NEVER misses a beat. TOTALLY just rips up the earth, rock and all. Plenty of POWER! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login