Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4100 with 410 loader

View my Photos
JD 4100
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-14          34579

I am looking into buying the JD 4100 and it looks to be a tractor with fewer problems than other 4000 series tractors. Does anybody think that buying this tractor is a good buy or a bad buy? Is the loader on this tractor stronger than the 60 bucket on the JD 660? Will the 4100 dig small stumps out and then pull them out with the loader and 6 pt hitch? Is this tractor capable of handling light duty landscaping and once in a while some more difficult tasks? I want to put in pvc fencing, will this tractor handle an auger? If anybody has any comments please let me know because this is alot of money and I don't want to throw it away.
Thanks alot

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-14          34581

Yes on the 4100; they are nice. The loader is plenty strong and will surprise you. But stumps are real tough for any tractor. I wouldn't expect much there. Even a big old farm tractor has trouble with stumps. Everyone has their own tricks for stumps, but they are really best done with a backhoe or crawler. I get a chain on them any way I can and put a pull on them while cutting roots with an axe and chainsaw. About all you can say about stumps is it is a lot better to have a tractor handy than not. Still a lot of work to get them out. The 4100 should be up to any landscaping you want to try. Yes, we hear about some 4000 series problems but keep in mind that there are tons of them out there, most are doing fine, and JD has a reputation of standing behind their products. I wouldn't be afraid of any of the 4000s. Yes the 4100 will handle most any auger. Resale is good on JD tractors, so the price that hurts you going in helps you coming out. That hitch is a 3pt, must have been a typo on the 6pt. ....

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2002-01-15          34585

I've had one for 3 years now. Only problem was a wire that came loose (dealer came out on a Saturday to find it/fix it). Other than that, flawless. Ditto on the stumps. This tractor just doesn't have the weight for it. I have cleared brush with the loader, up to 1.5" diameter. It takes a little time, but does it good. I cleared and leveled for a garage and cleared for a driveway. I have moved many yards of topsoil/mulch and stone for landscaping. I maintain 1/2 mile of gravel road (summer and winter) and mow the lawn with it. The loader is plenty strong for the tractor. The bucket will bend if you abuse it, but I havn't managed to do much more than scratch the paint so far. I have build a loader snowplow and pallet forks and used them without problems. I would expect that they would be a bit more extreme than just bucket work.

My only complaint is the cost of implements. I have a big wish list and all of them are expensive. At least they will last a long time when I finally do get them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Feel free to email if you have more/specific questions. ....

View my Photos
Joe A. Bell

2002-01-15          34595

I have done some light landscaping with my 4100, loader, and rear blade. Specifically I have dug several large holes with the blade, then moved the dirt so topsoil could be placed in the holes (lots of rocks naturally occuring here in southern Mo.). Depending on how much land you are going to take care of, I think the 4100 will do everything you will need. The few times I have had trouble with the tractor, it has been associated with its relatively light weight. Hence, pulling stumps can lift the rear of the tractor (even with a 370lb blade) off the ground. The loader is plenty strong. Or, trying to pull a car out of snow results in a lot of spinning tires, but the engine seems to have plenty of power. ....

View my Photos
JD 4100

2002-01-15          34598

Thanks alot for your replies. Is the John Deere 410 loader any better or different than a 60 loader. My neighbor has a 670 with a 60 loader. Do you have any problems with the 3pt hitch rubbing the tires when you have an implement on the back. How much weight should I put in the back to keep the rear from coming up when digging around the stumps. Do you know if this tractor is going to be any differnt than the new one coming out(4010). I do appreciate all your responses. ....

View my Photos
TwinCreek

2002-01-16          34604

I also have a 4100 gear with a 410 loader. The comments on the stumps are correct. Also the tractor is a little light. I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years and it has been pretty much flawless. I did borrow a Danuser post hole auger for it. The tractor had enough power to operate it. However, the auger was a little long (tall) for the tractor and was a little hard to position. Overall it is a great tractor. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-16          34610

The owner’s manuals for the tractor and loader lay out how much ballast is required for safe operation. If memory serves it is around 600 to 700 lbs. That can be a combination of different items. In my case I usually have my box scraper attached which is 385, then there is my body weight @ 270 and the ballasted tires add at least another 100 lbs. If you are going to get a box scraper and use it as ballast I think it is a good idea to get the heaviest one you can that isn’t too wide for the tractor. The weights between different 48-inch box scrapers can vary by 100 lbs.
I have had no problems at all with implements contacting the tires. ....

View my Photos
Mike Yager

2002-01-17          34631

I have had a 4100 for a little over a year now with about 140 hours on it. I have 11 acres to maintain with about two acres of lawn and the rest pasture. The 4100 has been up to any task I have given it and has exceeded my expectations. I have bought and used an auger for it from TSC and it has worked fine. The tractor also pulls a 10' fieldd drag with no problems. I have also used it for mowing and plowing with the 410 Loader. I have also pulled out stumps with the loader that were about 4" across with no problem. In fact I was surprised at how easily they came out but I expect the bucket could not handle anything much bigger. I have no experience witha 60 loader so I can't comment on a comparison. With rspect to the 3 Pt hitch, I have had it rub the tires at times when I mounted a rotary spreader. Not a lot of rubbing - only on some turns. However, just last weekend, I turned my rear tires around (got this tip from the board - Thanks guys!) and picked up a total of about 4" of clearence. I expect this will help considerably when I put the spreader on the next time and the rubbing will be less or not an issue at all.
One comment on the weight. Depending upon what you are doing the 4100 weight can be an advantage. As I mentioned I have lawn to mow with a septic system under it. From what I have read, you do not want to repeatedly cross a septic field (which is something you do when mowing) with anything much heavier than a 4100. A heavy tractor repeatedly crossing a drain field can break the pipes.
Compact Utility Tractors like the 4100 represent a compromise to a degree. You really need to determine what you will use the tractor for the most and see if it fits. For me, the 4100 is a good fit. ....

View my Photos
Depdog

2002-01-18          34687

Hi Everybody
This question is not exactly in line with this thread, but can someone tell me the general differencs between the JD4100 and a JD790 ??? approx. is fine.I have the 790 and am just curious. Thanks in advance. JOHN ....

View my Photos
JD 4100

2002-01-18          34688

Hey John
A John Deere 4100 is a 20 hp diesel and is made in the same place as the 790. The 4100 comes as an option with a hydrostatic transmission. The bucket on the 4100 lifts more than a 100 lbs than the 790. The 790 is 30 hp and is an economy tractor and the 4100 is a fancier tractor with less horsepower and they cost about the same. The 4100 can lift more at the 3pt hitch than the 790. The 790 is a much more powerful tractor and has much more pto horsepower and can support implements than a 4100. They are both very nice tractors. The 790 is a larger tractor with more horsepower but doesn't have all the bows and stuff like the 4100.
Tom ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-19          34698

I believe there's no HST option available for 790's and its gear TX has only 2-reverse gears. The small choice of ground speeds in reverse at PTO RPM might be a problem for people with 3ph snow blowers, but other people probably wouldn't notice. The 790 would be a good choice for people with sizable fields who want to use wider implements than a 20HP tractor could handle and don't want to pay for unneeded bells n whistles.

I am curious about the 3ph rating. I think both tractors are rated just over 800 lbs. My 24HP Ford 1710 is rated at over 1800 lbs. I realize that 3ph ratings have to do with stability and safety issues as much as how much the 3ph can physically lift, but 1000 lbs. different? A problem I see is that it may be desirable for a 30HP tractor to use implements like rotary cutters and box scrapers that exceed the rated hitch capacity. I wonder if 790's are heavy in the back axle to gain traction in 2wd. If so, then the 3ph rating may be low but front ballast may allow heavier loads to be carried safely. Of course, a manufacturer or anybody else isn’t going to factor ballast into a rating—too much potential for liability suits.

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-19          34713

If you look at the literature closely, you will find that the 1710 Ford 3pt was rated at the ends of the 3pt links instead of two feet behind the link ends as is the standard today. That would account for the difference in lift capacity.
I think that 3pt lift capacity is rated by how much you can lift and maintain steering control with the standard weight distribution. Wheelbase and weight distribution are going to be big players when the manufacturer sets this spec. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login