Go Bottom Go Bottom

Engine problem

View my Photos
Chris R in IN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-11-07          33018

Had just finish mowing tonight & was opening the barn door to put my JD 455 (with 6 hours on it) away. The engine started making a loud taping noise & blowing blue smoke from the exhaust. What happened? Did it break a valve or something worse?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Engine problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-08          33024

I'd start it and see if it still makes and does the same as you saw last nite. What you saw could be as small of a problem as an injector thats clogged. It could be more, I'd call the Dealer and tell him I'm sure he will want to get the problem fixed as soon as he can. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-08          33028

Wish I knew my tractors better. I actually don't know if a 455 is diesel or gas. Something like what you describe did happen to my Ford 1710 diesel. A day after I drove ten highway miles back from our camp, it was idling for awhile at around 1100 rpm. The engine started sputtering, knocking and smoking. I hopped back on the tractor and gave it some foot throttle--in a bit the engine cleared up and worked normally then and since. That was about a year ago. However, the smoke was gray, not blue. It almost certainly was fuel starvation caused by air, water or junk in the fuel lines. Blue smoke usually is engine oil burning in the upper cylinders and often indicates a serious condition. If the tractor has 6 hours total on it, rather than 6 of your hours, it probably is still under warranty. I'd sure check with my dealer because continued operation could increase any damage. You dealer probably will ask if the smoke actually is blue and if there also is blow-by coming out the crankcase breather. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
Chris R in IN

2001-11-08          33030

My JD 455 tractor does only have 6 hours on it. I started it this morning. On startup it did still have the tap, not as bad, & the gray smoke, not blue although it looked blue last night. I gave it full throttle and both went away. I called the dealer service department, I was told they had not heard of the problem on these engines before. They told me since it went away & the tractor was under warranty for 2 years to go ahead & use it. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-08          33031

Glad to hear everything sounds OK. I guess it's a diesel, and what was described sure sounded like fuel starvation. There are a bunch of things that can cause starvation, but a common cause is air in the fuel lines. Many systems must have the air bled from the lines manually for maintenance like changing the fuel filter, but many newer systems are self-bleeding. Reading the owner's manual under changing the fuel filter will probably indicate what has to be done. There's a bunch of stuff in the archives here that describes how diesels fuel system works. Hope you enjoy your six-hour-old tractor for many years and it give you too many more shocks right away. If you’re new to tractors, there’s a bunch of safety stuff in the archives that also are worth reading. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-11-08          33033

What your dealer told you is good. Your problem will more than likely come up again. I'm sure he will take care of it when he can see the problem to. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
Glenn

2001-11-08          33036

I have a John Deere Model 670; it has a three-cylinder Yanmar diesel. When it had three hours on the engine, it started knocking loudly in the manner that you describe. I was hooking up an implement and made a mad dash for the switch, thinking that the engine was going to throw a rod or something. However, it stopped knocking before I could shut it off and it has never done it again. I have about 250 hours on the tractor now. This problem has been experienced by other diesel owners, too, and was discussed at length several months ago. The general consensus was that it was a fuel problem. This made sense to me because my tractor had sat on the dealer's lot for a couple of years and there might well have been condensation in the fuel tank. I didn't drain the tank, but I did change the fuel filter and I always fill the tank after using the tractor. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2001-11-08          33045

My 4100 does that every few weeks. If it were a gas engine I would swear it had just thrown a rod or sucked a valve. I was moving about 30 yards of top soil today (boy did that take a while) and it did it again. Lasted about 15 or 20 seconds and then resumed the normal diesel clatter. I had just refueled it and added a fuel conditioner that is supposed to help with the cold winter starts and keep the injectors clean. Maybe it knocked something loose? I wish I knew more about Mr. Diesel and his strange engines. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
TomG

2001-11-09          33049

Cripes, I think I should read my comments better before I post them. My best wishes should have said that I hope the tractor doesn't provide too many more shocks. While I'm here, I guess I’ll note that loss of compression also could produce similar symptoms. A cylinder that lost compression would cool down below the point of ignition. The cylinder may then pump smoke and some raw fuel out the exhaust. However, sources of compression loss are not very likely to produce an intermittent problem that clears up with a bit of throttle. I’d still bet on the fuel system, but maybe the question will never come up again. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
Art White

2001-11-09          33051

Fuel problems could vary well be your problem. Different engines that we work on from time to time have sounded like a rod knock and yet it is a injector that is failing. Ether of coarse if over loaded in an engine will do the same thing. The fact that it went away says it very well is a fuel problem. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
Craig Dashner

2001-11-09          33055

I had that happen on my 4100 while mowing. I was at high rpm and is started clattering like it was about to throw a rod. I shut her down, tried restarting after a while and it was still doing it. Took it in under warrenty, sat at the dealers for 2 weeks waiting to get it looked at (it was spring and they were really busy), when they went to look at it, it wouldn't do it and they could find nothing wrong. The mechanic told me, "If it happens again, give it throttle, if it blows up, it will be fixed under warrenty, if it stops, you'll be ok" Has not done it again and it's been 2 years. He seemed to think that, based on my recolection ofit, that it got an gulp of air in the fuel. ....

Engine problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2001-11-16          33241

As noted above I have had an ongoing problem with the engine on my Deere 4100 Gear knocking, pinging, smoking, hard starting, and occasionally making sounds like it just threw a rod and other sounds that I think are described as ‘nailing’.
All of that with only 25 hours on the clock. I think my second ever tank of fuel was from a gas station where they don’t pump a lot of diesel and the problems have continued into the 3rd tankfull which came from a high volume truck stop. I have tried additives, fuel conditioners and the like with no noticeable effect.
Yesterday I found a product called ‘Red Line 85 Plus!’ and I used the ‘clean up’ dose of about ½ oz. Per gallon. I saw an immediate difference. It turned my cranky, hesitant, pinging, rattling diesel into a quiet purring engine. The idle went from 850 rpm’s to 1000 rpm’s. It stopped smoking all the time and now smokes only when first I start it and when I accelerate quickly. And even that amount of smoke is reduced by maybe 80 percent. It is noticeably smoother and has a much improved throttle response. Anybody else tried this stuff? They have a very interesting and informative website. Have a look. Mark

Link:   RedLineOil.Com

Engine problem

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2001-11-17          33245

I haven't tried the Redline Diesel stuff, but their "MTL" worked wonders in the transmission of my Nissan truck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login