Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deere 4300 decision prices

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-04-20          3129

Many thanks to everyone here for the incredibly useful information I gained while lurking here. It enabled me to be much more informed about prices and features while shopping for a tractor and to ask questions of the dealers that really pointed out their strengths/weaknesses (and honesty!). It also led me to rethink seriously what I needed and wanted in a tractor, adding thousands to the cost ;)I finally made up my mind after looking at many compact tractor models from Deere, New Holland, Kubota, Massey-Ferguson, and Cub Cadet and purchased a John Deere 4300 with 12/12 synchreverser transmission, R-4 tires, folding ROPS, and 430 loader. I'll be paying $18,700 for the tractor delivered with windshield washer fluid in tubes in the tires, ballast box and bucket level indicator, and instruction/orientation. They'll give my money back within 30 days if I develop buyer's remorese that doesn't respond to drug therapy.I narrowed my choice down to the JD and NH models fairly rapidly based on ergonomic considerations (primary) and a preference for US-assembled tractors (distant second) as well as my wife's "cuteness" rating (not to be ignored entirely). From there it was pretty tough. The Deere won out based on weight, direct injection engine, and self-priming fuel system. I suspect that I harbor some deep-seated sense that a tractor should be green or red, too. I selected this model based on a conclusion that a 4200 was adequate for my needs coupled with past experience that after I've had something for a year or two and gotten better at using all its capabilities I typically wish I'd gotten the next model up. The synchreverser was chosen because both the wife and I STRONGLY prefer manual car trannies and because the price was equivalent to the 4200 hydro.My hope had been to buy a tractor for under $18,000. I've found that none of my local (within 100 mi.) dealers came very close at all to the prices quoted here, so that was out with a 4300/430. However, the dealer I selected is a very large, old (possibly one of the 4-5 oldest in the world) established Deere dealer with an excellent reputation among local Yankee farmers. They also had one to sell, which nobody else in New England seems to at the moment. I'm not very expert on tractors (dystractopraxia?) so I'll likely need to depend on the dealer for support more than some other buyers.The tractor is being set up and should be delivered in 2 days. As I learn more about it I hope to be able to contribute here so as to help other neophytes.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Brad

1999-04-21          3157

I bought a 4200 around the first of the year - waited over a month for delivery. Had a few problems - have been impressed by dealers commitment to making things right. I know you will be happy with a 4300. My 4200 seems to have plenty of power so a 4300 should be even better! Good luck!! ....

View my Photos

1999-04-21          3174

Glad you got what you were looking for. I just placed my order for a 4300. There seem to be factory delays so I'm waiting until at least Apri. My price was very close to yours. I bought a number of implements so I got a good package price. Dave ....

View my Photos

1999-04-21          3189

Congratulations. No one ever seems to be unhappy with their JD. Of course thatcan be said about any of the makes that make your half a dozen or so final cut.Just out of curiousity, which make did your wife think had the highest "cute" rating? This could be useful information! Roger L. ....

View my Photos

1999-04-21          3190

Bought JD 4300 with 430 loader R-4 tires folding ROPS 12/12 trans for $17500 Like loader capacity for size of tractor ....

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH

1999-04-21          3194

My wife thinks the NH "Boomers" are clearly the "cutest." Interestingly, she fully agreed with choice of the Deere, and preferred how it drove. ....

View my Photos
Mark_in_NH

1999-04-21          3195

> I bought a number of implements so I got a good package price.My dealer suggested I NOT buy a bunch of implements right now. He recognizes a newbie when he sees one, and thought I should drive it around for a while then buy one implement at a time and use it before getting the next one. He also insists I won't get any better price now than down the road. ....

View my Photos

1999-04-26          3306

Duplicate Deleted ....

View my Photos

1999-04-26          3307

I ordered my 4300 about two months ago and they told me delivery would be two months. Drove by this weekend and there it was sitting in the yard. But now the loader and belly mower have not come in. The dealer, who knows me well by name as I drop by about once a week to look, said that the implements are usually there wa before the tractors. He also said that all of a sudden the tractors are coming in fast. Hopefully everything will be there this week and I will be forced to take a few days off to become acquainted.I went with the "get it now approach". Loader, backhoe, mower, tiller, etc. Got a couple hundred more off on the tiller as the original purchaser used it once and decided to move up to the 60".I do not have a breakdown on the price so it is hard to compare. $28000 total with the implements mentioned, HST, 4wd, etc.As far as "cute factor", my wife voted for green. I bought an inexpensive garden tractor a few years ago against her wishes to spend 6 times as much for a JD. Everytime something goes wrong, I hear "If you had gotten the Deere...". After she drove the 4300 at the dealer, the decision was made. Which is interesting because she won't even test drive a car before we get it, but I could not get her off of the tractor.Good luck with your 4300. Doug ....

View my Photos
Mike Marshall

1999-05-03          3437

Good choice, Mark.lolwe 4300 owners always make good choices.My wife loves our new tractor. she call's it Jade! I think pricing needs to be home based.around150 mile radius. I took best prices quoted on tractor and equipment and went to dealer I liked best. worked for me any way.I hope you enjoy your tractor as I do if you can get your loved one off of it. She loves backhoe the best.after thought: JD's head lights work great, and as an old person, love the step up.mike ....

View my Photos

1999-05-12          3739

Any new news out there on JD shipments of 4300's? I have had my order in now for a month and am curious if my wait will be 2 months, 3 months, or longer? Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login