Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor storage

View my Photos
Kevin Squires
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-31          28808

I finally brought my 4100 home last night. It took a few days to borrow the trailer, truck and driver :)Now that it is home, I feel bad leaving it outside. Eventhough it seems to be equipped to be left outside in the weather, I would prefer to put it inside a shed or garage. It will have to stay outside until I can get an equipment shed built. How do you store your 4100, inside or out? Kevin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tractor storage

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-05-31          28810

Kevin, in my area, which is primarily a farming area with big farms, it's common for the farmers to leave their big tractors and implements sitting out in the weather; something I have a hard time understanding. They usually show the results. I think most of us with newer compact tractors keep them inside. I have a 40 x 60 shop building, so my tractor and all implements are always kept inside. And of course, I figure the resale will be better when I sell them. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
KenB

2001-05-31          28815

I keep my tractor and small collection of equipment in a "soft" building. I use a thick sheet of plastic film to seal the floor. Cheap, esty to put up, easy to move or take down.

Link:   Cover-It Shelters

tractor storage

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2001-05-31          28825

Kevin: Between the end of harvest in the fall and planting time next spring farmers retire, farm properties change hands, and there are two to four farm equipment and machinery auctions a week within a 50 mile radius of where I live. Auctioneers go out of their way to say two things (IF THEY CAN) when advertising a farm auction: (1) "field ready" and (2) "always shedded." Well maintained machinery, not in need of repairs, and always stored under cover brings in the crowds and commands the highest prices. I trust your new "baby" will be well maintained mechanically. If at all possible, store it under cover. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-01          28840

I've been using a 25' x' 14' x 7' arctic shelter tent going on 3-years. The shelters are supplied in many sizes and styles as kits from several Canadian companies. It went up in an afternoon and has survived some pretty good winds. The companies supply arctic or year-around temperate climate covers. The temperate climate covers degrade in UV light and last about seven years now (formerly 10-years). They are snow, but not entirely rain, proof. It originally was a quick storage solution we opted for late in the fall, but it has worked well. Besides if we had built a shed three years ago, we would have built it much too small. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-01          28852

Tom, you bring up an excellent point that most Newbies (and probably the rest of us too) would miss in terms of storage space. When calculating how much space is needed, it is often done early in the process and as the toy collection, errr, excuse me, the number of implements increases, so does the need for storage. Then there is the work space over and above this. Case in point, a neighbour built a generous two car garage kit as an 'equipment shed' for his compact, now there is room for everything inside, until he needs to work on something, then half of it has to outside to clear room to work. Based on 20+ years personal experience, and nine generations of farming is 'Murphy's Law' for calculating equipment space. Measure physical dimensions of exerything you need to store, then do what the Government does with it's budget, double it and add 10 or 20% for good measure. I have yet to meet anyone who had less than 500 sq. ft. (especially in cold northern, and very hot southern areas) and most said at least 1000 sq. ft. was required if work-space was needed as well as storage. If 'She who sometimes objects' says anything tell her an 'expert' said so, LOL. Best of luck. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-06-02          28873

Murf, you got it just exactly right. 8 years ago I built a 24x48 (1152 square feet) garage with four overhead doors. Can't hardly move in it and two trucks still sit out in the snow. I'm waiting on the building permit now to build another 900 square feet of tractor shed most of which will have a second floor. And I guarantee by this time next year I'll be moaning and groaning about not having enough space. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-06          28964

Paul, I can sympatize completely, I have been told by "She who sometimes objects" that if I add anything else to the shop it had better be my new bedroom. The original 4 car garage was 48' wide and 24' deep (1152sq.'), the next part was 40' wide and 50' deep with 16' ceiling height and 12'x12' doors (2000sq.'), when that got full, I put a 16' deep by 48' wide (768sq.') 'shed' addition out the back of the garage portion, just to 'square up the foot print' of the building. So now that I have nearly 4000 square feet of space and it's nearly full, I can say with confidence, GO BIG!! Best of luck. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-06-06          28994

Speaking of leaving tractors outside. Tractors are obviously designed to be able to withstand the weather. I keep mine inside, however there are many that never see a cover of any kind. And the tractors on a dealers lot will sit out for weeks or months at a time. Almost none of these have a rain cap on the exhaust stack. The pipes do turn to the side but not enough to keep rain out if it is blowing from that side. Since the dealers (and apparently the manufacturers) are not concerned, I assume water into the exhaust stack will not harm anything. I could not tell that there was a drain at the bottom of the stack/muffler, but there may be. Still, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-07          29011

I just put a tin can on the end on my exhaust pipe when the tractor sits outside. Rain down the exhaust isn't going to do it any good. I think one of uncles had some engine problems due to rain with a diesel used to drive an irrigation pump but I don't remember what. The wind from a certain direction blew the rain caps up. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
Rick Cosman

2001-06-10          29126

Tom I had the same situation on my stock exhaust pipe. I took it off and put on a new straight riser with a flapper on it. I kept forgetting to put the can on. It works great! I think manufacturer's quit putting them on and started to put bends in the pipes to save $$$. ....

tractor storage

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-11          29137

I tend to forget to take the can off. The engine catches with a small 'whump' and then I pick up the can several feet from the tractor. Flappers would be good. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login