Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Randy in IA
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-01-02          23013

Up to my neck (literally)in snow this year, my '55 Farmall Cub / blade just isn't keeping up. I'm very close to purchasing a new JD 790 (4wd) for snow removal / mowing. I have one question unanswered, how well will it handle a 60" 3pt snowblower? The HP is adequate but is the lowest reverse gear low enough? Will I end up clutching excessively to make it work in hard / deep snow? Thanks in advance for replies, it looks like a great tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-03          23032

I think 1 - 2 mph is a pretty good ground speed for a blower. A dealer should be able to tell you the reverse ground speeds of a 790 @ PTO RPM. I said before that my 1710 has four reverse gears and I wouldn't want to do fewer, but maybe the 790 reverse gears provide OK ground speeds. A creeper option was available for 1710's, which I don't have, maybe something similar is available for 790's. ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-03          23050

I have a 790 and I'm using a Meteor, 5' 3pt snowblower.

Low gear is 0.9 mph, which is plenty slow. High gear is 3.1mph. If you're going down long stright, high is fine. If you're maneuvering around things, low is perfect. I must admit that a "middle" would be nice ;)

I haven't had any really deep snow yet, but this is far more powerful than any walk-behind could dream of, so I'm not at all worried about when that kind of snow does get to me :) ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Rick

2001-01-04          23088

Mark, how far does that snow blower throw the snow ?,i just bought my 790 a few weeks ago and am looking for a snowblower myself. i have been looking at the meteor 60" and larger if i can find it. does the 60" cover the rear wheels enough for turning (not sharp corners) and is the chute rotation handle within reach of the operator seat ? Thanks for any info, Rick ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-05          23091

Rick,
We have not had deep or heavy enough snow to be fair. I was a little surprised that the snow was not going far the first few times. Then we got about 4-5" and the snow went probably 10'. It is very important to fill the fan to really get the snow thrown. 60" covers my turf tires exactly... ag tires are even narrower. You do have to turn around to get to the chute rotation, but it is easy to use and easily accessed. My dealer says that for a mere $200 he can get the hydraulic chute rotation... I don't THINK so :-) ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Rick

2001-01-05          23114

Mark, Thanks for the info. My dealer is tring to locate one for me, but has lost hope until next year. I hope he can find one sooner, last month we had a total of 35 inches of snow, and we haven't seen all of winter yet! Thanks again, Rick ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Markus Dammermann

2001-01-05          23118

Rick,

I had a similar snow problem here in Eastern Nebraska and bought a 60" Erskine blower for my MF 1240. I have only tried it once before the weather started warming up, and it really managed to throw snow quite a distance (4 blade fan). I paid about $ 2,200 including freight and crating charges etc. The chute rotation handle is very accessible even when the blower is down in the operating position. The skid shoes are adjustable and the chute has a poly liner to prevent snow from sticking to it. I don't know what you have to pay for the Meteror, but maybe it's worth checking into the Erskine as an alternative. ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-06          23123

My 5' Meteor throws most snow 20' - 30' with the deflector fairly open. The salt/snow stuff the highway plows throw across my drive goes more like 15'. Closing the deflector more would increase the distance but at the expense of more clogged chutes (I don't clog them very often now). If snow from a light fall isn't going very far, a solution is to go faster so more snow is fed to the fan. Oil bath gears, adjustable skids, hydraulic chutes and replaceable blades are some of the marks of upscale blowers. The Meteor has about half of those, and I don't know if the blade is replaceable. But it works, and so far, it has been better than half-good. I'm not sure if the comment about a $200 hydraulic chute means it's too much or too little. I think that's probably a good ball park cost. I know I'd pay $200 and then some for mine. ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-06          23132

I know that the pricing for hydraulic stuff is pretty high, so I think that the $200 was actually a good price. What I meant is that I can do an awful lot of reaching aound and handcranking before I can justify the chute rotator to myself... maybe by the end of this season I'll think differently ;) ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Rick

2001-01-08          23217

Thanks for the info everyone, I hope it also answered Randys question also. As soon as my local dealer can find a snowblower i think i will get it. I have 900 feet of gravel driveway not including parking or turnaround areas and it seems everytime it snows, the bucket seems to be getting smaller ? I think I am ready for a snowblower. ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Randy in IA

2001-01-09          23243

I also want to thank everyone for the replies to my original post, it was quite helpful. So helpful that I've ordered the tractor (790, 4 wd, mid PTO, etc), I've been promised a 2 week delivery. Also I have the snowblower purchased and in my garage, I bought an Allied (same as Farmking)60" 2 stage 3pt.I'm excited in anticipation of it's arrival, and believe it or not, will soon be praying for snow! ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-10          23263

Congratulations! You're not going to believe the differance between the new tractor an your Farmall.
I pray for snow, too, if only to make sure i justify the blower to my wife ;-) ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
TomG

2001-01-11          23302

Mark: Here's a comment on the wife subject. The other day I used my loader to remove a light snowfall and built up snow pack. My wife commented that she liked the loader better--'It doesn't blow everything all over the place.' The subject has come up before and I gave my standard reply. 'The alternative is for me to start out the winter by pushing the stuff well into the yard so I won't run out of space by spring.' She likes that alternative even less. Well, we're sort of traditional (going for the mail by snowshoe now and by canoe this summer when we have river access). The basic idea is 'Don't mess up things you don't have too with machinery,’ but my wife is more traditional than I. What I'm saying is that you might get justification but without enthusiasm or even acceptance. It could be good to have something like the 'push out into the yard reminder.' ....

JD 790 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Mark Goehring

2001-01-11          23306

TomG, I need to confess. My wife knows a blower is needed. Our driveway isn't very large, but is situated such that there is little place to push the snow. I guess I'm really saying that I need to justify it to myself ;-) I still look at the prices of the walk behinds that I would have gotten and realize that I paid maybe $100 for a device that is more than twice as wide. It was a great deal. Deb knows I get the things that I really need. I want so many things that all I can afford are the ones with the most value to me/us :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login