Go Bottom Go Bottom

Scuffing

View my Photos
Ross
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-12          18787

Got the new axle today and so far its great worth the trouble!!!!!!!!!! The tractor was bought on JAN. 2 and just now got the update.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Scuffing

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-08-12          18789

Ross, I was pulling a stump out of my Dad's yard today and was all over it pulling and pushing and didn't leave a single scuff mark. I believe the scuffing problem has been fixed. I did tear the grass up a little spinning the tires but no scuffing. ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Brent B

2000-08-14          18842

They are picking up my tractor tomorrow to put on the new axle on my
4200. I thought I had read that they have to change the hyd steering pump to
a larger unit as well for this fix, but my dealer says no.

Can anyone who has had their tractor fixed comment on this?

thanks,

Brent

Scuffing

View my Photos
T-ROCK

2000-08-14          18843

Brent, yes they do install a larger pump. They also install new p/s lines, which are fairly hard to get at according to my dealer. He said that they underestimated the actual installation time due to the pump/line installation. Make sure that you check the turn angle from lock to lock. Mine and several other posters have mentioned that the axle turns much sharper to the right than to the left due to a misadjusted toe setting after installation. I think the new axle is the best thing that has happened to my tractor. No scuffing when mowing in 2x4 now. ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-15          18845

Brent, my 4600 did not get the new pump. However,he told me that the 4200-4400 does. ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Ross

2000-08-15          18862

yea they replaced the axle, the pump and the steering valve, they didn't know that untill they looked in the crate, but all is well now, my blood is once again green. ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Al

2000-08-17          18918

All I can say is that you guys are some of the lucky ones to have dealers that stand behind their products after the sale. I just got off the phone with JD Customer Service and was told that the dealer is the one that's suppose to advocate to the Area Service Rep my problem with the scuffing. If the dealer doesn't feel that what I do with my tractor should require me to make tight turns then he won't present my warranty claim to the Rep. That's ludicrous !!
It's like telling me that there's nothing wrong with my tractor if I don't make any tight turns. I paid $20K for a tractor to be told to go only in a straight forward direction. HELP ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
turfman

2000-08-17          18932

Hey guys,
i too have the 4400 that has the new axel. it has been a joy to work with and own.......now. prior i was not too happy about the whole axle thing, but the tractor performed great. By the way, this is the second 4400 that i owned, the first one the dealer bought back at my cost and got me 4600 that i turned down because of the size of it. I ended up taking another 4400 that was a newer model and it has been great. the first 4400 had too many probs and i just didn't trust it. it had all the problems Mike has described, and then some. anyway, i had 3 deeres prior and they were good machines so i gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried another one. I'm glad i did. hope everyone else gets the best out of their dealer, i think that is the weak link in the chain. good luck. ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Chuck Westerfield

2000-08-23          19079

I had to replace the pump and the steering control on my 4400 ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Chuck Westerfield

2000-08-23          19080

I installed the kit myself on my 4400. The crate comes with axle, steering control, new pump 100cc, and new pressure oil line that mates with the pump...you don't need to change any hoses...but time takes a lot longer than JD allows the dealer...it took me about 10 hours...JD only allows dealer about 5. I really like the new front....no turning problems after installation...right and left are the same....really makes the difference in the tractor...absolutely no scuffing in 2wd...front end is green rather than black....I've got pics of my installation if anyone interested.... ....

Scuffing

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-24          19090

Chuck, I'd like to see those pics. Glad to hear that JD lets the owner do the job if they want to.... and that you want to. My experience is that the best mechanic of all is a concerned owner doing the same job for the third time! :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login