Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Philip
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-07-18          18070

I am seriously thinking of buying a John Deere 4300. I have had two previous John Deere (garden) tractors, a 245 and 445. At about 2 years old the 245 started leaking oil from the crankcase gasket. I had it in the shop and they replaced the gasket, then a few weeks later it started again - back to the shop and back to me. A week later ...They told me there was little they could do, the engine was so out of balance that it was just shaking itself (almost literaly) to pieces, the only cost effective solution would be to replace the engine. I do wonder about this advice, although the shop in question is probably the larget JD dealer in the area, has been around for a long time, and has a good reputation.The 245 was too small for my needs anyway so I traded it in against a 445. Now, at 2 years old, the 445 just dumped all its hydraulic fluid. The problem was grass winding itself around the PTO and getting under the PTO seal. The 445 is really marginal for my 2.5 acres, so again I am thinking of upgrading.Now, am I just unlucky or what ? I know the 4300 is a completely different class of machine, and paying that much, I will expect more - will I get it ? or am I looking at replacing that after 2 years ??I expected better reliability form JD ... did I have a right to ?Philip

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Ken Schwartman

2000-07-18          18073

In regaurds to JD reliability, I have owned 2 4000 series tractors recently. The first one was a 4300 and the second a 4400. The 4300 was new and cursed me with many problem to many to state, mainly in the mechanics. I just received my new 2000 4400 in Feb. I have had alot of hydraulic problems with it, and other mechanical problems. Having a tractor because of its color was the most stupid thing I have ever done. I have recently taken a part time job selling Case compact tractors. (New Holland painted Red) I wouldnt sell something to some one else if I didnt believe in the product, and this ic come from a Big JD fan. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-07-18          18081

Philip I bought a 4400 HST in December of last year. I now have 86 hours on it,
about 70 of those hours are loader & backhoe work. The only problem to date was the front axle and it was replaced at 31 hours. I also own a JD 425 AWS with 60" deck that I have owned since 1995 and have put 337 hours on it. The only problems with it have been, the carburetor was replaced at 31 hours & the water pump seal replaced a 246 hours. If I had it to do over again I would buy the same tractors. Chris ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-07-18          18083

Philip--as previously indicatedby one very learned person--buying a tractor because of its color is not the smartest thing to do. I owned one Kubota for two years and by second Kubota for ten years and the total repair bills on both was under ten dollars for a broken tachometer cable. For some reason I decided I needed a green tractor and purchased a JD 4400HST with 60" belly mower and 430 loader with forks and heavy duty bucket. This tractor's PTO locked up at 8 hours, at 40 hours it started losing power when in road gear due to one brake being too tight, and about that time the hydrostatic transmission started grabbing and slipping. At 112 hours the brakes locked up and the transmission was in such poor shape that it was dangerous to use, so its front end was replaced along with the transmission, a kit was put in the PTO, brakes were replaced and some minor upgrades are still awaited. It has been back to the dealer three times and will go back again for the minor linkage upgrades. Thanks to an excellent dealer, my tractor is working fine and finally a joy to use after a year of frustrations being an unofficial (and unpaid) field tester for JD and helping them to discover some poor design and quality control issues. I suspect that by now, JD has the bugs worked out of the 4xxx line. Perhaps I am one of a very few that purchased a 4400 with bugs, but I can take pride in the dependability of my Kubotas and cannot do the same with my JD--especially when my neighbor laughs at my tractor since he has a dependable Kubota. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-07-18          18084

Philip, I have a JD 4300 bought in March. It has 83 hours on it and I have had no problems to date. At 2900 pounds it is a little heavy for lawn mowing especially if you water regularly but it performs landscape and dirt work great. I think the design of it is more for heavy lifting and farm type work such as brush hogging and grading. I was able to remove a pond dam that was about 8 ft tall and 150 ft long in 13 hours with no problem. A dozer could have done the same job in 3-4 hours but what fun would have that been? If your main intent is to get something to mow with, I would look at some of the lighter tractors that are designed more for pulling than lifting. The JD 4100 falls in that category as well as several of the B series Kubotas and and New Holland Boomers. I personally wouldn't be afraid to buy JD again but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another brand either depending on what I wanted to do and which one I felt satisfied my requirements the best. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2000-07-18          18085

If you buy a 4300 to use on 2.5 acres it should last about 50 years. I use my Kubota B2710 regularly on about 12 acres. A mere 2.5 acres I can mow in just a little over an hour and thats with an undersized 5' finish mower. I brush hog my 12 acres in about 7 hours.

That 4300 is a little more tractor than the B2710 and ALOT heavier. If you really need a tractor that powerful for loader work and such (certainly not for mowing 2.5 acres) I would recommend you look at the B2710 or B2910 from Kubota as they are lighter tractors and easier on the turf. If its just mowing and light loader work you should at least give the Kubota BX2200 a look. Unlike the JD 400 series, this is a real diesel 4WD tractor with cat 1 hitch.

I suspect that most of the problems have been worked out of the JD 4000 series tractors and I wouldn't be hesitant buy one if I was inclined. I bought the Kubota because I preferred the comfort and controls, and it turns out it is extremely reliable also.

Or you might consider a JD 8410. Wow - at 235 HP you could move your 2.5 acres across the state!! I have one pulling a scraper digging my tank right now. Pretty impressive. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-07-19          18091

Philip, I would seriously consider buying a JD4100 for your needs. I have 3 acres and this tractor is all I could want. Just the right size to mow grass, it has some of the features of the larger tractors that similar-sized Kubotas don't have (3 pt position control, turning brakes). I will admit to reading a lot about new model problems with the 4000 series, but I will add that these only apply to the 4200+ models. The 4100 is made in Japan by Yanmar, and is very dependable (read the posts-they rarely mention any problems with this model). I think that you would be surprised at what you can accomplish with this 20 HP 4wd tractor: the loader has an 830 lb. capacity, the 3pt hitch has a 930 lb. capacity, PTO HP = 17. It has tremendous hydraulic flow capacity for a small tractor (most in its class) due to it having dual hydraulic pumps. You can use a 5' mid-mount mowing deck, a 4' bushhog, a 4 or 5' box blade, a 5 or 6 foot rear blade and a 52"+ rototiller. I pull a subsoiler and a one bottom plow with ease. Unless you have some other land or commercial uses in mind, I don't know why you would want anything larger. I have looked the 4300 over, and I would not want it to use around my place-it just needs more room to roam than I have. I love mine, but even if you buy another color, I would still stay in this size class-maybe a New Holland TC21 or Kubota B series around 20 HP. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-07-19          18100

I traded a Kubota L2500 for a 4400 in 1999,(upgraded for capacity, and the Hydro) and, like others, had the front axle problem. The dealer was great, and, with JD's blessing, traded me even for a new 2000 tractor. Since then, I had a small hydro problem, which the dealer fixed at my place. I use the 4400 for just about everything -- bush hog 7 acres of pasture, move top soil & manure w/loader, cultivate garden, etc., rough grade my lane, move snow, etc., etc. and am very satisfied. I have a lawn mower (JD) for the 2 acres of lawn. I'd suggest you look at all the technical specs, then look at each for the features you may need or want. (Ease of control location, comfort, ease of climbing on & off, etc.) Last, and most important, check out the dealers - they most likely will be who you go to for parts & service - not the mfr. I do agree, that the 4300 is a little heavy for 2-3 acres of mowing. My neighbor mows that amount, and tills a 1 acre garden with a 4100. Whatever you get, be certain it's the one you want -- they're all a big expenditure! Good luck!

JD Reliability

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-07-19          18103

I have to agree with Jim on this one.
I also looked at a 4300 for my 2 acre yard.. This would have been a mistake to say the least, for many reasons. We ended up with a 4100 and I am for the most part...very pleased. IMO, No other tractor in its class comes close in terms of "ease of use" or features. For example, a 10-12 year old kid could install/remove the loader or belly mower...without tools, or an instruction manual.. Plus, I can remove the bucket (no tools) in about 20 seconds, 10 of which is used in mounting and dismounting the seat. This has come in super handy when you don't want to remove the loader, need a little extra front end weight to offset the rear yet have good visual of what is in front of you. (mowing, etc) A few times I've needed to remove the bucket to fit into a tight spot while pulling out trees. Now for the "not so hot" stuff. Kubota has a stronger hydro, but lousey controls. (They should put the L series pedel on the B's) Engine also "seems" stronger, and definitely smoother running. Capacities on Kub are a little higher. But most of all, Kubota offers 2 or 3 motors in one platform ex:(2710-2910) are in the same frame. If you ask me what I would buy next time.....Probably a NH.. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-07-20          18150

It's not a tractor but I bought a JD push lawn mower about 2 months ago. I use it to trim in some tight places after I finish mowing with my riding mower. It's 6 hp model JS 60. Just a bottom of the line mower for trimming up. I mow about 20-30 minutes with it when I do trimming, sometimes every mowing but normally every other mowing. The first time I mowed I was mulching and it was bogging down in normal grass so I took it back and the dealer readjusted it. It had all the power I needed but it would go through a tank of gas in about 20 minutes. Tonight I started it and was mowing a ditch by the road and it started loosing power again. I adjusted the throttle as much as I could but it never mowed any better. It finally mowed a real loud noise like I had hit something. Ilooked for obstructions and there was nothing there, looked at the blades, no dents. I tried to restart it and it would just spin loosely with no compression. It might have had 8 hours on it but probably more like 4. What really irritates me was the mower I replaced was a 3.5 hp Wards mower that was 20 years old that never gave me a minutes worth of trouble. It's not a tractor but lasting 4 hours is not very reliable unless its ice cream in Texas. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Rob Munach

2000-07-21          18156

I would be curious who makes the engine on the lawnmower... ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-07-21          18174

Rob, the engine is a Briggs & Stratton. I called the dealer today and he told me to bring it back and he would take care of it. I bought it May 19 so it is about 60 days old. In 9 weeks I have probably used it no more than 6 times so I have about 3 hours on it. As long as they will make it right I can live with that. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
droz

2000-07-21          18176

I will probably start a battle here but I have learned from multiple smaller tractors and accessories to never buy a Briggs and Stratton engine (and I am from Milwaukee where they are made). I almost always buy a Honda engine now. My brother bought a smaller John Deere lawn tractor and made sure it had a Kawasaki engine. They cost a bit more but all of my Honda engines start first pull and never cause problems. I have junked two two relatively new lawn care products recently due to Briggs engine failure which repairing would have cost more than the whole unit. I was lucky to get a two year life span. My dealer knew immediately what I was talking about with the Kawasaki engine. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-07-24          18212

No disagreement here. My old mower was a Wards 3.5 hp with a Briggs & Stratton engine and lasted 20+ years. I bought it in 1977 but, I guess, like everything else times have changed in the lawn mower world, too. I know Hondas, Kawasakis and Kohlers all have great reputations but I had such good luck with my old mower, I really wasn't concerned about a B&S. They are giving me a new engine so one way or the other, this is a lesson learned. If the new engine works out everybody makes mistakes, if it don't I'll never buy anything with a Briggs engine again. The mower did such a good job of mulching when it would run right I would look for that deck design again. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Jim Warrell

2000-07-25          18271

I bought a JD 4300 last Oct. And it has been a great tractor. It only has 110 hrs. of use. I have had no problems with my 4300 and the dealer has been the best. Tractor has a 430 loader w/h.d.73" bucket, 6' box scraper, 5' bush hog mower and a 5' rototiller. Everything works great and I am a happy camper. By the way I have only 2 acres but I take on odd jobs in the area and do work for my neighbors, for a price. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-07-26          18285

I have a 4300 with loader, backhoe, belly mower, etc that I got last summer. With about 125 hours on it I have had a PTO leak, loader hydraulic leak, big backhoe hydraulic leaks and a weld broke on the loader hydraulics that raise the arms. The leaks were caused by nicks in the seals / o-rings. That sound like a quality control / assembly problem to me.
The dealer has been very good about fixing these, but I do not think they should have happened in the first place. While I like the tractor, I am disappointed by the problems. I also have a four year old 4 wheel Gator and a new 425 garden that I have not had any problems with so far. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-01          18452

I purchased a 4600 4 drive tractor with a front end loader, brush hog, box blade and post hole digger because I wanted to replace a Farmall B which was breaking down because of its age. After buying the John Deere 4600 4 drive wheel we spend more time trying to keep it going. We have had hydraulic problems, the wiring ,instruments and the 4 wheel drive are no good. Within 10 hrs the front wheel attachment 12mm bolts worked loose and broke off.

I contacted the dealer and they too busy check it out. They said it would be at least two weeks. I call and can never talk to anyone, they will call back, yet to hear from them.
I tried to contact John Deere factory, No luck. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
David B.

2000-08-02          18475

I previously wrote that I'm considering a Kubota 3010 or a JD 4300 for a fall purchase.
Based on all the postings about JD 4000 series problems, it seems very unlikely that I will go the JD HST route. The Kubota certainly seems to have vastly fewer problems.
On the other hand, I drove a 4300 manual transmission 4X4 that I found very smooth. It seems to me that a child could drive it without stalling.
I understand the advantages of 4wd but what is the great advantage of the HST.
Manual seems to put a lot more usable HP to the wheels and PTO's.
I'm wondering what problems, if any, JD 4000 series owners with manual transmissions have experienced ( other than the apparently solved front tire scuffing one) and how they like their units.?

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-08-02          18477

David, you say a manual transmission puts "a lot" more horsepower to the wheels and PTO. I've heard some say 10% to as much as 15%, and I'm not at all sure it's even that much. If your work is going to be straight plowing and/or mowing of large fields with very little maneuvering or changing directions, a manual transmission may be the ticket, but otherwise you'll get your work done faster, more comfortably, and safer with an HST. I suppose you could compare HST/manual tractors with automatic/manual cars in some ways, but actually the HST in the tractor is much more. Of course, I have no vested interest either way, and think you should try out both, keeping in mind the kind of work you plan to do with your tractor, and buy the one that suits you best. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Bill Gardner

2000-08-02          18481

Just took delivery on a new JD990 mfwd with manual transmission.I now have 13 hours on it and it works great.Tractor does everything it is supposed to do and does it very well.BILLG ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-03          18491

!3 hrs is not enough to judge your tractors quality, wait till you get at
least 100 hours then lookout. I know the 4000 thru 4700 has numerous problems
. The 4 wheel Drive has the wrong gear ratio and the mounting brackets are to
weak to obtain any traction from the front wheel drive without excessive
wear. John Deere tried to built a lawn mover to be a light tractor with out
beefing up. They know have problem but will not respond to any correspondence
with them. Before you buy ,check to see if all problems are solved. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Bill Gardner

2000-08-03          18502

The JD 990 is not a 4000 series,the 90 series are a tried and proven design,Pretty much a straight forward tractor,standard trans no hydro available.Built much the same as larger tractors I have owned or been around.Check out the JD 90 series tractors the 990 with 40hp or the 790 with 30 hp.They are priced less than 4000 series tractors.Stay Safe BILLG ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-08-04          18515

I have a 790 with 50 hours, not a single problem. I read the manual when I picked up the tractor, and folled the maintenance recomendations this far and everything is good. One thing I like about this JD and the 4000's is the loader joystick location. What ever you buy, make sure you take care of it and follow the maintenance requirements, these little tractors are big investments. ....

JD Reliability

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-04          18533

When I consider the reliability of my two past Kubotas, I can truthfully state that in their twelve years of use, EVERYTHING worked as it should 99.999 percent of the time (tachometer cable broke). When I consider the reliability of my JD4400HST that is a little more than a year and a half old with 140 hours, only about 10 percent of the time has EVERYTHING worked as it should (which means that 90 percent of the time one or more things were not working as they should). The new front end and new transmission appear to work fine, but after the brakes were replaced the rear axle seals (between axles and the main body of the tractor) are now slowly leaking transmission fluid and again I can no longer use road gear since the brakes appear to be dragging. I am still awaiting the upgrade linkages and the 60" commercial belly mower still leaves stripes of taller grass. JD reliability... hmmmmm. Mike S. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login