Go Bottom Go Bottom

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Andy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-31          16801

is anyone aware of any sort of protective cover that can be put over the valve stems on the front wheels of a 4300 (4WD/HST/R4s)? JD did a good job protecting the rear wheel stems....but the fronts are exposed....AND..I've already broken one... out in the middle of the forest where there isn't an air compressor and tire fixit shop available...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-31          16806

Andy, I haven't tried it myself, but several folks have recommended just getting a short piece of pipe and tack weld it onto the wheel around the valve stem, and then paint it to match the wheel. Of course, an inexperienced welder might do more damage than good. ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-31          16816

I've been thinking of doing the same thing to some rims I've ordered. I noticed this week that the Kubota rims for the 30 and 40 HP machines now come with half circles of pipe or conduit welded around the stems. Curiously, the portion exposed to the elements is facing outward. Anyone know why this is so? I figure the best time to weld is before I mount any rubber on them. ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-01          16833

Unless they've recently changed something, the Kubota wheels for the R4s have the valve stem protection, but not the R1s or turf tires (at least for the B2710 and I've heard that's true of the other models). ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-01          16840

Now that you mention it, they were in fact R4's that I was looking at since this particular dealer equips 95% of his tractor inventory w/ R4's. So why is the open half of the protector facing the outside? I'm asking because I do plan on putting protectors on some 13.6x28 Ag rims I just ordered and would like to know the reason for cutting the protector tube section in half and also the reasoning for the placement of the open side out. Thanks Eric ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-01          16841

Just guessing, but wouldn't that be so that the protector could be the full height of the valve stem and still allow you to get a tire gauge or air nozzle onto it? ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-02          16847

Roger, you may be correct although my personal gauge and nozzle have an offset angle to them and would fit without a problem as long as the protector was not taller than the stem and the pipe was large enough in dia.. Of coarse, KUBOTA sells tractors worldwide. But, I have another relevant question. How does the stem get broken? Is it by bending so far over that it snaps off or splits? Or is it by being punctured or sliced by a rouge branch. I've never had it happen, but will be in the woods with these new tires and want to take precaution. A stem is cheap enough but at $2/gal to have them filled with weight I want to play it safe. For ultimate protection, I s'pose you could put a metal cap over the Kubota style protector and fix it there with a set screw of some kind. Thanks for getting my wheels turning, guys. ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-02          16849

Eric, until this Spring, I've never damaged a valve stem on any kind of vehicle and was a little surprised the first time I saw a tractor with valve stem protectors, but then I bought this B2710 with R1 (Ag) tires and no protectors and never thought about needing them. However, I was gathering up brush, from clearing out a fence row, with forks on the front of my loader bucket and I was half carrying, half pushing a big pile of brush to the burn pile and some of it trailed back on either side of the tractor and ripped the valve stem right out of the right front tire. ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-02          16850

Bird, Funny thing, I really hadn't considered doing anything on the front since these tires are not filled and are already mounted. With my luck, I'd end up melting rubber during the welding stage. However, it may in fact be more likely to lose a stem up front. Given that that's where the ground clutter usually is and sometimes the wheels are turned but the tract pulls straight ahead. Anyone else lose a stem lately? ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Andy

2000-06-02          16852

As usual, you guys have been a lot of help. I replaced the stem and went on with my work. I figured maybe I would try to find some hub caps that would fit the rims before taking the tire down and welding on a piece of pipe....anyone know of a set of caps that might fit? ....

stem needs protection

View my Photos
Joe Stein

2000-06-02          16854

Go to a tire store that handles light truck tires. They should have HEAVY DUTY valve stems that are used for tires that require 60PSI or more. You could also use chrome plated solid brass valve stems that are used on custom wheels. They have a nut on the outside and a rubber gasket on the inside. This will only work with tubeless tires.

I hope this helps.
Joe ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login