Go Bottom Go Bottom

Model order for JD compacts

View my Photos
John Sheehan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-22          16504

I am in the market for a compact and I have been trying to understand the order of the models for the John Deere compacts since the 50 series. I believe the 650 - 1050 series was the first. Was the 55 series next, then the 70 and the 90 and finally the 4000 that we have today? Was there a lot of overlap in the years they were produced? Also is there a site that would have the specs for these older tractors? Thanks for the help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-05-22          16508

John, I am not familiar with all of the JD compacts but I think the 50 series and 55 series were produced at the same time. The 50 series were gear transmissions and the 55 series were the hydorstatic transmissions. I think 4wd was optional on the 50 series and I am not sure on the 55 series. The 4000 series can be either type of transmission and 4wd is standard on the 4100 and optional on the other 4000's (I think). The 70 and 90 series still remain a mystery to me. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-22          16509

John, Of course they don't have all the tractors, but for specs on a lot of the older tractors, check out the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-22          16510

Dang it, John, I clicked on the wrong place; I didn't mean to send you to Kubota.com just because I own one. For specs on tractors, let's try again. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Joe Padavano

2000-05-22          16511

The 50 series came first, followed by the 55, then 70, then 90, as you suggest. There was some overlap, but it was minimal. Both the 50 and 55 series were available in 2wd and 4wd, and as was previously noted, the 50 series are gear trans and the 55s are hydro. There are other differences, as my 850 is rated at 22 PTO HP and my neighbor's 855 is rated at only 19 or so HP. ....

View my Photos
John Sheehan

2000-05-22          16512

Thank for the posts. It seems that the 50 and 55 series were the most popular. I haven't found much information at all on the 70 series and then theres the 790 which is still available today. Was this the only 90 series available?
Bird, thanks for the site recommendation. They have some information. You mentioned Kubota...now there's a confusing mess of model numbers. ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-05-22          16518

Just when I got the green #'s down I went and looked at the orange ones. I didn't learn or catch on to them so I just looked at specs. (HP, hydro, # of cyl. etc.) and went from there. That made it a ton easier! ....

View my Photos
Halsey Green

2000-05-22          16522

There is also a JD 990 also available now, I saw two at a dealer around Easter. Haven't seen the specs, but its guite a bit larger than the 790, around 4500-4600 size physically. If I recall correctly, it had a high, medium, low along with a 4 speed transmission. Other than that looked liked a 790 on steriods.

Halsey Green ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-05-23          16540

Halsey, I haven't seen that 990 yet around here. From your description of the transmission H,M,L + 4 speed I wonder if JD finally got Yanmar to let them market that excellent shuttle shift transmission? Your description of the shift pattern is the same as the typical Yanmar shuttle shift. Back when Yanmar first started making the 650 through 1050 series, JD advertised that they were working on licensing that transmission but it never happened. Sure is a sweet tranny.
BTW, just so we don't forget them, the 650 series actually went through 1650 .... not just up to 1050. The 1050 is where a lot of us make a sort of mental cutoff of "compact vs farm" tractor - at least that is how I see them. The 1250, 1450, and 1650 were more of a small farm tractor than a compact. They were also 100% Yanmar-made.

View my Photos
Darryl Gesner

2000-05-24          16576

I just wanted to add that the 790 is just the 770 with a bigger (30 HP) motor.

Darryl ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-24          16583

Roger, As I was pricing 1070's last week, I spoke to a dealer about a 990 he had on the lot, since it seems to be the same tractor. He said that the 990 only comes in basic collar shift as it is the new "economy" tractor. He stated that it's not syncronized and that you would have to come to a complete stop for any shift. Which, In my book, put it's trans. in a catagory below the 1070 where the gears are in sync in any given range. If this is not right please correct me. Funny thing, I had to mention the 990 even though it was right in front of him. All he wanted to talk about was the 4500/4600. And he didn't try to hard to sell me those either. Must have been my 14 year old truck! ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-05-29          16765

Which makes me realize that my favorite pickup is now 30 years old!.... and I thought it was a Cadillac with a box when I first got it. Well, at least JD has a model for everyone. I've had tractors with collar shift before (and have 2 now). I can't deny that I would prefer a more modern transmission, but they do have the advantage of being 100% bulletproof. And unless I am doing a lot of loader work I really don't mind the collar shift at all. After all, I'm not in a real big hurry to get this work done. It is a hobby; and fun... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login