Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 Pricing Recomendations

View my Photos
Irv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-30          15227

Is $12,650 (dealer ad in local paper) a decent pricee for a 790 with 4wd, loader, power steering, and turf tires. Has anyone out there put a backhoe on one of these units and how does it perform. One last question - What is the "scuffing" problem everyone is refering to regarding the 4x00 series of tractors. Thank you in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Toddh

2000-04-30          15233

If that's a brand new one, it's a heck of a deal. The 4wd 790 lists for $11,000 and they really won't discount off of that price because it's a promotional price already (at least that's my experience). Adding the loader for $1650 is a steal because it normally costs you $600+ just to have the valves installed. And turf tires (if those are what you want) are an upcharge over the normal Ag tires, too. The 790's can be used with a backhoe made by Deere (you can find them on the Deere website for the specs, I'll put the URL below). I think they list for a little more than $6,000, but I'm not sure on that one.

I have a new 790 and it has worked really well for me in the first 3 weeks of ownership. ....

Link:   John Deere Homepage

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-30          15235

Irv, do a search on this board using the keyword "scuff"; you'll have alot of reading in front of you! ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-04-30          15238

Just a quick answer/update to the scuffing. I was interested in a 4600 but tried it out first on their grass. I have a 4100 and thought maybe people were exagerating but it was incredible how it tore the lawn up. The dealer talked to john deere and they were hesitant about putting a new axle on unless I absolutely demanded it and it would be at least 6 weeks (and who knows what that would be in John Deere time). I will probably get a Kubota instead. ....

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-05-01          15253

Droz - Go back to your dealer -- I am getting a NEW tractor (4400)from Deere, with the dealer's input, sso I know JD will stand behind the problem. As far as the 790 goes, I don't think the scuffing applies. I THINK it's just the 4000 series, and that was with last year's axle. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-05-01          15255

I may have said this before, but the lower 4000 series has apparently had the axles replaced already but the 4600 has not. They are still working on it. My dealer sells both John Deere and Kubotas so they are not biased unless they make more money on one or the other. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-05-01          15263

My dealer has a 4600 hydro with the new MFWD axle. He just got it in. No comparison in the way the tractor turns. Scuffing is gone. ....

View my Photos
John Weaver

2000-05-02          15294

Would you confirm the price 12,650. for new JD 790 with front end loader. If this is correct, please post the dealer name / phone or send me a private e-mail. I am interested in the same tractor, but getting prices in the range of 14,600. Thanks, John. ....

View my Photos
Dave

2000-05-04          15440

I picked up a new 790,4wd,wloader, R4s,ballest box, brush hog - and a new hat for 15K. Unless you are doing all lawn work go for the R4s. They are hard to find but the dealer let me use the turf until he located a 4set. No scuffing - I've had Ford and IH and I love my 790.
Dave ....

View my Photos
Henry McCreary

2000-05-06          16015

I just bought a 790, MFWD, with a 5' Belly Mower and 70 Loader for $14,900, complete with a new hat.... ....

View my Photos
DJ Vaughn

2000-07-11          17886

Where is this dealer at. I just looked at a 790 today. I am comparing it to a JD 1070 (used) for about the same price. Any info appreciated.How is yours doing, are ya happy with it? ....

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-07-12          17895

Jeff, Irv, the scuffing problem does not apply to the 790. I have one with 4WD and Turf tires and mow in 5th gear with no scuffing at all. Also this thing turns on a dime! In Canada I paid $15500 Canadian which included a dual SCV, that works back to $10 333 US. You guys close to the border should look at the deals on this side of the line, right now the exchange is in you favor, and it seams the tractors are cheaper.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login