Go Bottom Go Bottom

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
T. Thomas
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-16          14829

Like many others, I am considering the purchase of a JD 790. This board has provided a wealth of valuable information which I am using to add me in my decision. To those of you participating, I Thank You.My needs; mowing 5 acres, gravel drive maitanance, logging work (stacking 6' length logs for splitting), stump removal and picking the mail up at the box a mile away (this was part of the agreement of the purchase, the Mrs, can use the tractor to pickup the mail!)The first question has been asked, but I couldn't find a response.The JD 790 has 815 lbs, hitch lift capacity at 24" behind the link ends.The Kubota L2500 has 1435 lbs, hitch lift capacity at 24" behind the link ends.Is this an indication of smaller less powerful hydraulics on the Deere? How should I consider this into my purchasing decision given my needs?What is the model number of a comparable New Holland product.Are there any other manufactures I should consider? One of my greatest concerns is resale. I'm really leaning toward the 790.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-04-16          14836

T. Thomas,

Check my post earlier "TC25 now or TC33 later". I would already own a JD790 if the dealer had one in stock(4WD). He didn't, and since I had to wait, I went out of town 60 miles to the New Holland dealer. WOW! I love the little blue tractor. I looked at a TC25, it was very nice, great ergonomic controls and cab area. It had a great "Deluxe" hitch and R4 tires. I was considering waiting to get a price on the TC33 but I would have to wait a few weeks for delivery. The TC25 has a lift of 1635 lbs at 24" behide. The JD790 lift realy had me concerned also. You should atleast go look at a NH25. I was quoted $11695.

Good luck,
Scott T. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-16          14844

There could be lots of reasons for the difference. Less cabable hydraulics would be my last guess. Similar tractors can easily be made to have similar capacities. It is simple to design hydraulic systems and cheap to make them any size you want. First of all, the difference might be just a paper difference. I'd have to see them both lift before I'd believe that much difference was real. And if it was real, I'd begin to wonder if maybe the reason had to do with safety. For example, if you can lift a huge amount with the three point, then you can also lighten up the steering enough to lose control.... frankly, I can't think of a category one 3pt implement that weighs more than 800lbs.
All that having been said, I can remember several times when I could have used more three point lift. Every one of them had to do with drilling a post hole and getting the auger stuck down the hole. But an extra thousand pounds of lift wouldn't have helped....several tons of lift might have. In the end, it was easier to unbolt the auger and back it out by hand. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-17          14852

The kubota also has a higher loader lift capacity, larger tires, bigger reserve oil capacities and a straight drive shaft to the front end without u-joints and wet brakes. Might it just be that it is more of a tractor? You might want to look at a smaller size of Kubota to get a more even comparison like the b-7500. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2000-04-18          14888

T.Thomas...I've done extensive research on the big three. JD790,4300,4400. Kubota and NH. I've purchased a NH-TC33D with 7308 loader and 757C backhoe for $23,600 plus tax. I found the NH's were the best value for the buck all around. Their new desidn will hold value for quite some time. All specs. are close to the JD 4400, for aprox $3,000 less.

Good luck

Vincent Ronga ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-23          15029

Vincent, I've going to take you to task on some of your assertions. I did my own "apples and apples" comparison while shopping this past 6 months between NH, JD, and Kubota. I think the NH-TC33D compares more fairly to the less expensive JD4300, not the 4400, based on the following: Gross hp is 33.0 vs 32.0 vs 35.7, Displacement is 91.3 ci vs 92 ci vs 101 ci (TC33D rated at 2800 rpm vs 2700 rpm on Deeres), Hydraulic equip pump: 7.6 gpm vs 8.3 gpm vs 8.3 gpm, 3-pt lift capacity at 24": 1635 lbs vs 2200 lbs vs 2200 lbs. I know pricing varies alot by region and dealerships, but here in upstate NY I priced a JD4300 equipped similarly to the TC33D (4WD, HST, FROPS, mid-PTO, etc.) with a 420 loader (better specs than 7308) and 47 backhoe (same as 757C) for $23,400 plus tax. I loved the ergonomics and controls on the Boomer, but the JD allowed me to have a belly mower with the backhoe subframe installed (Boomer doesn't), the loader quik-tach was standard, not extra $$$, and I felt that the attachment/detachment ease of the loader and the backhoe were the best in the business. Therefore I had the NH and the JD at roughly equal value, but the JD had some unique capabilities that gave it the edge IN MY SITUATION. Your mileage may vary. My point is that this market is so competitive right now that JD, Kubota, and NH are almost identical in "value" and that the differentiators come down to your specific needs matching unique features, and more importantly, the dealers that you have access to and their quality of service and pricing. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-23          15030

PS: As consumers, we are lucky these days based on the competitive market condition in compact tractors in this country. The big 3 (Orange, Blue, and Green) all are fairly close in market share (and in value, I assert) which leads to competitive pricing on the bare tractors if you are willing to shop around. A dealer acquaintance of mine who also sells big tractors (orange ones) laments that he has such small margins on the compacts even though he has better volume. He doesn't get much service revenue from compacts because the bulk of compacts are sold to folks running 100 hours per year vs 100 hours per week like AG buyers and the tractors are fairly reliable besides. They still look for the big ticket implements to make money (e.g., backhoes and snowblowers). (Boy, I'm on the soapbox now, aren't I?) ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-04-23          15034

Jeff which did you get the 47 or 48 backhoe & are you happy with the way it works. Chris ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-24          15043

Chris, good to hear from you again! I bought the 48 backhoe with 18" bucket for my 4400. I was going to take delivery last week and check out the backhoe, but the rains came here to the northeast, so I'm planning on this week now. I'll post my first impressions in a couple weeks. I did run through operation of the tractor, loader, and backhoe at the dealer last week. As far as backhoe and loader attachment and detachment: I can't imagine how it could be any simpler. Maybe after doing it several more times I'll think of some room for improvement, but it sure was easy the first time. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2000-04-24          15048

Thanks for the input Jeff,

My JD dealer came in slightly higher than the NH. How does the quality of these two machines compare, in your opinion? NH had some little features I liked.

Thanks Again.

Vincent ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2000-04-24          15049

Your very knowledgeable...Thanks ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-24          15058

Vincent, I'm really not all that knowledgeable - it's just that I had been over that same ground before! As to quality, I've got my fingers crossed on the JD4400 I bought. JD had some well-publicized (on these boards, anyhow) problems with front axle tire scuffing and early production problems with a hydrostatic thrust washer, among other things. The new 4200/4300/4400 tractors produced since March 1 are improved in many areas that I have heard mentioned on this board. So I'm hoping that the early production woes are past on this model. I liked the Boomers when I was shopping, but really don't have much first-hand data on their reliability. As I mentioned in another post, I've seen some units that were delivered with a little rust on them, but I've seen that in Deere and Kubota also and I don't consider that indicative of poor reliability (more indicative of living in the Northeast and seeing tractors that were exposed to some road salt during delivery). I think that the big 3 are pretty equal in reliability usually, with the exception of the early problems with the JD 4x00 series. ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2000-04-25          15085

Jeff.....I was under the impression that the backhoe subframe did not need to be removed to install the belly mover. Is this incorrect?

Thanks.

Vincent ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-04-25          15086

Vincent, I posted a lengthy message under the subject "JD 47 Backhoe" earlier today that sheds some light on the JD47/48 backhoe mounting. Your impression is correct that on the JD 47/48 you do NOT have to remove the frame mount in order to use the belly mower. (In fact, if you have a mid-lift cylinder for the belly mower, you could even mow with the backhoe installed! But why would anybody ever do that?) However, when I shopped at the New Holland dealership, I was told that the backhoe subframe was incompatible with the belly mower. I know the subframe on the 757C stays attached to the backhoe, so now I'm thinking "Why would they be incompatible?" So I just now called a different NH dealer and he told me that he's not positive, but he's pretty sure that the two hanging brackets that secure the front of the subframe will interfere with the belly mower. I could not find anything in the NH salesware that says the backhoe mount and belly mower are compatible, either. So what was your question again and did I answer it? ....

Decisions and questions

View my Photos
Vincent Ronga

2000-04-25          15091

Thanks Jeff....I think I was told by my NH dealer that my (as yet undelivered) TC33D's 757C backhoe sub-frame didn't need to be removed to install their 60" mid mower (WOW, I'm impressing myself with these terms. Didn't know what PTO was 4 weeks ago). I haven't been able to reach my sales rep today to find out. I guess it's a moot point anyway.

How much of a hassle would it be to remove the sub frame to install the mower each time I had to mow? 5,10,15 minutes? Thanks again Jeff.

Vincent ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login