Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Scott T.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-12          14726

I will be buying my first tractor very soon and I'm leaning toward the JD790 4WD because of the size, HP, and price. I have a few questions, any help would be great.Can it handle a 5ft bush hog(med duty)?How much weight will I need to add to the front?Bar tread or industrial tires?How hard would it be and do you recommend changing the exhaust to horizontal?Most of my mowing will be light weeds and small brush until the bahiagrass on my wood lot grows in. I have 30 acres of woods but only will mow about 10 acres in and around trees. When I say mow, I mean to keep the tall stuff down, not like a lawn. I also need to do some light grading of my "two track" road and a Forestry road(soft sand). And I will be putting in 3 or 4 small (1/4 acre each) food plots for deer.Can the 790 handle the task?Thanks in advance,Scott T.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Scott T

2000-04-13          14739

to scott t from another scott t in tennessee.....i just purchased a JD790....love it.....use a 65 inch box blade behind it.......also use a 5 foot woods dixie cutter bush hog......no problem......and a very old woods RM59 finish mower.....no problem. I did have to go back to dealer and buy some weights for front end since I have some steep hills.......I put 5 40 lb weights on it and sometimes it seems to need more.......will probably have my tires filled with calcium cloride soon. email me if you need more questions answered about the 790.....and dont get these people here started about what is better.....hydrostatic or sliging gear.....:) ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-04-13          14741

Scott in Tenn.

That is great to hear! I'm sold on the 790. I am new to this board and do not know how to get your e-mail address from your message. Mine is scottt@i-1.net , thanks again.

Scott T. (in Florida) ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2000-04-13          14742

Scott and Scott,
I'm also considering a JD790. I'm planning to use it to run a 6' finish mower, a 5' bush hog, and a 6' grader blade, plus more things in the future. I'm curious what price your dealer is giving you. I was quoted the following prices (in southern Indiana): (DSCV is dual selective control valve)
JD790, 2WD, ag tires, no PS, no DSCV, no live PTO: $9495
JD790, 2WD, ag tires, PS, no DSCV, live PTO: $10,800
JD790, 4WD, ag tires, PS, no DSCV, live PTO: $10,995
JD790, 4WD, turf tires, PS, no DSCV, live PTO: $11,155
JD790, 4WD, turf tires, PS, DSCV, live PTO: $11,735
I'm leaning heavily toward the 4WD with turf tires since I can always get chains ($120 plus shipping from www.tirechains.com) if I need more traction.

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Mark Hawley

2000-04-13          14743

I bought a 4WD 790 about a year ago. It has the dscv, turfs and 4 bumper weights (160 pounds) and I paid 11,600 here in VA. I use it with an old Ford 5 ft. brush hog and a 6 ft. Bush Hog brand finish mower. Both of these mowers are heavy (>600 pounds) and the tractor has never had any problems. I use 4 40 pound weights on the front and probably should get one more. It will pop the nose in the air if I let off the clutch too fast with the mower up, but I have no problems with turning. I really enjoy this tractor, it has been trouble free and done everything I have needed it to do. I would buy one again if I needed too.
Mark ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-04-13          14744

Danny,
That sounds about right. Every dealer here has quoted me 10995 for the 4wd,no DSCV,ag tires. The 4wd has the live PTO and pwr steering included. I'm having a hard time finding one without DSCV.
Scott T. ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Scott T.

2000-04-13          14745

Mark,
Thanks for the info, it is very reassuring to hear good things about the 790.
As soon as I can locate one set up the way I want it I'm gett'n it!

4wd,no DSCV,industrial tires

Scott T. ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Danny Yerks

2000-04-13          14746

Scott, I just wanted to let you know I'm having the same problem you are, I don't need the DSCV and my dealer doesn't have one without it either and couldn't find one at any dealers in Indiana. He said he could order one from the factory, but that could take up to 75 days! Good luck, Danny.

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
John Weaver

2000-04-13          14747

I am also considering a JD 790. I understand the 4wd comes with the DSCV standard. My concern is the 3 point hitch will only lift 815 lbs. at 24 inch behind link pins. Is this enough for a medium duty bush hog / Bush Hog 285 (5 foot) or other equipment. Thanks, John ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
John Weaver

2000-04-13          14748

I forgot to ask in my last reply. Does anyone have experence with the JD #7 back hoe on the JD 790? How well does it dig? Is the transmission suitable for use with the #70 loader? ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Toddh

2000-04-13          14749

I just bought a 790 with 70 loader, 513 rotary cutter and 5' Cammond box blade. The cutter and blade are to be delivered this week, but the tractor and loader were great the first weekend I used it (some dirt work and posthole digging with a Leinbach posthole digger). I'll hopefully break in the cutter this weekend and may to a little box blading too.

The whole package (tractor, loader, cutter, blade) with R4 tires ran me $14,995. I'm a pretty price conscious buyer and I think this was the best buy for the money based on my needs (maintain 15ac pasture and chores for 5 horses). I looked at Kubota, NH, Long and Kioti. ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
James Q. (Joe) Smith

2000-04-13          14752

Scott, as a previous owner of a 770 and a current owner of a 790, I can’t say enough good about the tractosr. Let me address your questions one at a time.
Can it handle a 5ft bush hog(med duty)? With ease!
How much weight will I need to add to the front? Four to five weights are sufficient for almost any task.
Bar tread or industrial tires? I have all three types, R1s, Turf, and R4s. For all around use the R4s are a good compromise between best traction and turf. They do ride stiffer that either the R1s or Turf’s.
How hard would it be and do you recommend changing the exhaust to horizontal? No problem, check with your John Deere dealer and order a ”side exhaust”. Looks like the existing exhaust cut off in the bend. Only a few dollars.
As for the other task, the 790 will handle them with no problem. I am sure you will enjoy the 790 am much as I do.

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Peter Accorti

2000-04-13          14753

For all the 790 owners with a loader. I've noticed that the 790 loader capacity is much less than the 4xxx series of tractors (755lbs vs 1195lbs for a 430 loader). In practice does anyone notice this? Also at 6' 2" I find the 790 a little cramped (at least for a brief test drive). Any opinions to the contrary? ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Ron Mitchell

2000-04-13          14754

Hi John, I have a #7 backhoe on a 770, and it works great ! It is of course like any machine, you have to learn how to get the most out of it - use the bucket curl to best advantage, etc, but once you have about 20-30 hours, you'll be doing compound movements without having to think about it. It took me about that long to get what I call "good", though others might say I'm still pretty much a beginner. While you are on level ground, practise reaching up, raising the loader, and using the hoe to move the tractor, as this is the way to dig a trench in a hurry. It is a good idea to practise this, as keeping the bucket in the trench can keep you from any wild rides when you are not on the level. ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
R. Ben Peyton

2000-04-14          14773

I'm shopping for a tractor to maintain wildlife food plots, miscellaneous work and blow snow on a mile-long access in northern MI. Comments on line make the JD 790 with a loader sound good for limited budget. #1: I noted that the 790 can come with 2 rim sizes as well as 3 tire types. Any recommendations on which size for snowblowing, disking, mowing, convenience? #2: Seems a front end snowblower would be much better with more variable speeds (gears) forward, control and comfort. Is it worth the $$ over rear mount? The exchanges on this site have been excellent help for a neophyte. Thanks for sharing your experience. Ben ....

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
SteveofNJ

2000-04-14          14797

Peter, on the 430 loader issue, the 430 is for the 4300,4400. They are heavier machines then the 790. I am sure this is why JD rates the 430 for a better lift. cap. But, 755lbs isn't bad, I believe this is at full lift height. I know I have carried large stones that must have been more then 1000lbs, with the bucket a few inches off the ground with no trouble at all from my 790.

If your looking to do heavy loader work on a compact, I would look at Kubota. They seem to have huge lift cap. on there machines compared to JD. The specs of a Kubota B21 are amazing compared to JD.

Anyway, I like my JD790, but would buy blue or orange next time around. JD790 is very "clunky" and not at all user friendly as far as controls. The more I use it in heavy work, the more I wish I waited to look at Blue and Orange tractors. Oh well.

Need more info on JD 790

View my Photos
Donald

2000-04-15          14818

Scott, instead of front end weights, you may consider a frontend loaded. It will provide the added weight you need, plus it's uses are endless! Just one use besides moving dirt/rocks, is that you always have a place to carry anything you might want. I use mine for everything. It helps balance the tractor a great deal. Donald ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login