Go Bottom Go Bottom

Life expectancy of compact tractor

View my Photos
markpee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-22          138278

I heard a statement on an RFD TV program the other day. During the JD Tractor hour the host said that the life expectancy of a compacy tractor is 1200 hours. That seems very wrong. What does everyone think? What kind of hours do you all have on your machines?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-22          138279

I think what they meant was, based on the average CUT users useage, the "typical" CUT will have a life expectancy of 1,200 hours.

Bear in mind, there are lots of Ford, MF, Massey's and such that are 50+ years old and only have that sort of hours on them too.

If you figure there's a lot of "chore" machines around that only get 30 hours a year on them, it would take 40 years to rack up 1,200 hours. If the owner bought it new at 40 years of age, he would be 80 years old before it hit that mark.

In my case, using them commercially though, 1,200 hours is one good season, never mind a full year even.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-22          138282

A good diesel engine in a semi is warantied for 1M miles. At 50 mph average that is 20,000 hrs. Naturally they idle for long periods when loading etc. so? Many large farm tractor are in the 10,000 hr mark. I look at it as 2000 hrs before you begin to have any major repairs. This is similar to 100,000 miles on a car. The Cummins in the Dodge pickup have been warantied that long. Many other auto manufactures are increasing to 100K including GM.
Naturally not starting an engine periodically and allowing the moisture built up in the oils to be removed and the oil to wipe the interior of the cylinders etc. can lower the lfe expectancy. Sort of like filling up on turkey, goodies and plum pudding and then laying on the couch will lower yours.
Merry Christmas anyways. ....

View my Photos
HuckMeat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-22          138284

I'd guess a show host who doesn't have a BS detector. If you look at typical the service intervals, you'd only replace hydraulic fluid 2 or three times in the lifetime of the tractor...

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-12-22          138285

I recently found out that the EPA is actually involved in saying what the "useful life" is of a diesel engine. You might be interested in reading http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/offroad.html. The engine life paragraphs are near the end

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-12-22          138286

Greg;
Just because they state the useful life as 3000 hrs this does not mean that they are lowering the life expectancy. If you note the recall testing period is 2250 hrs. This means it must meet the emission standards after this many hrs. To do this the manufactures must have tight machining and materials standards. They can have little wear between zero and 2250 hours.
Look what has happened to the life auto engines as emission have been increased. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-12-22          138287

Oh, I understand that completely. I'm sure that the EPA involvement limited to establishing a legal benchmark: to give some teeth to their edicts that the mandated emission levels are not exceed for that many hours. I merely submitted the reference as evidence to counter the initial 1200 hour claim for CUTs

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-22          138288

I personally know of a sod farm with a pair of 40'ish hp Kubotas that were bought new for the sole purpose of tending to the turf fields.

For about 8 months of every year they run nearly non-stop in daylight hours.

Last I spoke to the owner they each had far in excess of 10,000 hours each and were still going strong. He, like I do, changes the oil, etc., religiously and follows suggested maintenance guidlines. He figures he'll keep them going till they won't go any longer, at that point his grand-children can then replace them. :)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-12-22          138290

One of my "H" Farmalls was my Dad's. It was last overhauled by him in 1954 and was used on almost a daily basis till 5 years ago, it takes a bit of oil but still starts and runs fine. Like Murf said I know of many farm tractors in the 30 year old category with 10- 15 K hours that are still working daily on the original engines. any tractor, pickup, car, whatever can be destroyed at a tender age by abuse or neglect. It all boils down to care and maitenence. I expect my 4310 to live on long after I'm gone. Frank. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2006-12-22          138291

I have 3100 hrs on my yr 2000 JD 4700. I have replaced some things outside of the engine- starter, front axel seals and such but nothing as far as the engine is concerned. I would hope I can get at least 10,000 hrs. before any majore problems, cause (It's a Yanmar).

David ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2006-12-22          138292

I have q john deere 870 with 3200 hrs engine has never been touched orther then oil & filter changes. It runs as good as new.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-22          138293

From what my NH dealer told me for trade-im purposes 600 hrs per year is an acceptable normal usage. I'm under 300 per year on a skid steer and even less than that for my CUT and they're used commercially. (Yes Murf they need to work more than that-- I know. Believe me I know)

Where I from a piece of equipment typically doesn't need a major overhaul until 5000 hrs.

Perhaps that 1200 hrs has tax depreication ties too, dunno.

Also, the usable life of anything is not solely dependant on one thing, such as the power unit. Repowering units (new or rebuilt engines) are available for pretty much any machine going back 50 years or more in some cases. It's not as if the entire machine has to be replaced, i.e., if your car tires get worn out, you don't toss the car, you buy new tires and keep goin'.

Before I bought the '02 NH I have now I used a 1947 9N for a year and a half. Before I had the '03 and '05 skid steers I had/have now I had a 20-year-old skid steer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-12-28          138380

300 hours a year!!! Kee-ripes!!!

No wonder you moved down there where it's warm, all that sitting around you'd get cold up here!!! ;)

That averages out to about 6 hours a week!!! Heck, that's just one mornings work, what do you do AFTER lunch on Monday son!!?? There's still a few days left of the week!!

But I'm jes' sayin's all......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-28          138382

Murf,
could it be the hour meter does not work when yuo are in Circles? But I just asking...might be like the Bermuda Triangle issue for hour meters.

Boy Murf, glad you are back. And I aint just saying. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-28          138388

Murf, now be nice now. Things have come to near stop :( around here so I'm lucky if I can eek out $50 to spread a load of dirt or "mud" as they call it here (some ae doing it for FREE).

And I didn't add that the skidsteer has about 500 hrs for the year too (not total hrs for one-and-half years of ownership).

Hey you didn't say what it would cost me to have you bring my manlift and dump truck here. Were you "jis' sayin'" when you asked? hmmm? You tease!

KT: Interesting you mentioned NASCAR; the job superintendent I'm on---who's from Conway, SC by the way--however from Pittburg, PA ('nother damn yankee) said there was a connection to bootleggers NASCAR as they were the founders of it. You heard this? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-29          138390

EW,
NASCAR and bootleggers have a good history. Especially some of the old drivers. Junior Johnson being probably the best know on this. I think he used the same car to run Moonshine that he did for his first races. Not 100% sure on that but the track was a training for out running the law and the other way also.

What is the guy's name from Conway, SC? Possiblity I know or know of him. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-12-29          138391

Yes, I also learned about the connection between bootleggers and NASCAR in "Talladega Nights" last night. I highly recommend the movie as a historical documentary on NASCAR ;) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-29          138392

KT: The guy here is my age (44) and his name is Titus which he shares with his dad too. He had a short stint as as a builder there. His dad is a builder in Penn. Don't know much more. But when I do I let you know.

And Talladega Night as a documentary--that's cute. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-29          138393

EW, name right off means nothing to me. There are a far amount of shows on the history of NASCAR. Do a search on Junior Johnson and you may find all you want info wise. But I just saying...you'all. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-29          138395

Kenny: "You'all"? err? You sound like you have been yankeefied--don'tcha mean "y'all"? (BTW we would say in our neck of the woods: "you guys", on the east coast "you's guys") ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-01-03          138451

Jeffy, don't know how I missed that old son, thought I had answered, must be a case of CRS or something.

Still don't know what trucks are headed down there, or when, if at all.

Kenneth, plug your ears, I HATE insurance companies sometimes!!! LOL.

If you need one or the other for some real money jobs let me know. I think I feel a fishing trip coming on soon. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-01-03          138453

If you figure there's a lot of "chore" machines around that only get 30 hours a year on them, it would take 40 years to rack up 1,200 hours. If the owner bought it new at 40 years of age, he would be 80 years old before it hit that mark.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wonder how many hours are on the 1966 Bolens I bought new 40 years ago? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-03          138456

Murf,
Don't need to plug my ears. I do my share of getting totally upset with them myself. Most are not but there are those that care only about their bottom line or less. Really some crappy ones. If I ever were to sue an insurance company, I would want agents with 10 plus years on my jury. By then they have heard many, maybe not all the lies and excuses. Had this very type of conversation with a fellow agent today. Do note, some people only hear or remember what they want to. It is not always the company's fault. I don't understand why it is so hard for some to tell the truth. Wait, they don't know it. Least I did not make it clear, if you want to hear how sorry some companies are, get in a conversation with a group of experienced agents. Same is true in all industries, ask the pros if you want to know. Some day I want to be a pro...until then...

EW,
Not sure the proper spelling...most of the time it is only spoken. Don't use the you guys here or the yous guys. Don't want to tell you how that is received. But a pink pickup fits!

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-03          138457

Kenny can you write commercial lines in 'sippi? I heard through the grape vine Allied is rying to cancel anyone working in the south who is from the north. If true I will need a new policy by Jan. 22, '06. I called Allied today and they don't have a monthly dollar-cost bill generated yet, and supposedly there is nothing to the nagtive about my policy (like cancellation---yikes!) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-03          138458

Ib: If I was paying attention and use your math:

If you're nearly 80, and you bought it 40 years ago, then...you should have 1200 hours on it!

Did I win? Did I, huh? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-03          138460

Murf: Real money--does that realy exist here?

I'm working on trying to get some work from two groups that are selling and installing modular homes. I'm currently helping with foundations/pilings but trying to get work maybe doing cementious siding work too on thses homes. Things are supposed to break loose this month (heard the same thing last year too--didn't happen). At the least it would be the manlift. Like I mentioned it's about 20 feet long (maybe longer) 8,200 lb. (It's a 1980 2-wd Grove "MX-40" "Shooting Boom" type. Any idea what you'd want to bring it? It's just under 1000 miles from Monroe, MI to Waveland, MS. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-03          138463

EW,
Thanks for asking but I can not help you (with your insurance). Before you buy, you may want to look up Mississippi's Dept of Ins and see if the complaint history on companies you are considering. For a company to cancel people in one state but from up North I think would be a little hard to do. Legally and database wise.

As to Allied, do not know the company. There could be a dozen with Allied in the name.

Just thinking, if the company has their home office within driving distance, it might help if ever there is a real problem. Face to face still works.

Did you ever get a working solution to the post you are setting??? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-01-03          138465

Kenny Allied is the subsidiary of Nationwide---both have taken a big hit on claims so they're trying to cut their losses in anyway they can. In fact my agent told me the day before I left "the (Nationwide) underwriter is very angry that you are going down there" ("awe, shut up will ya" was my thought---I pay your premiums!)

The posts---hmmm not yet. The boom-and-bobcat has been working okay. I'm trying to get Murf to bring down my 40' manlift which works like a crane so maybe that will work too--dunno. Too funny---the other day a punk kid "contractor" who has been nickle and diming me to do cut-rate work for him decides he won't pay me the $75 an hour to set the poles after I charged him $25 a hole to auger 27 of them. Instead he and three other guys huffed by hand the poles--or should I say pole. They got ONE done the whole day after deciding the ground water was caving in the holes, which it wasn't... they were just too proud and cheap to call me back. I could have set all the poles in about 6 hours with them bracing them. It's like when I approached a volunteer organization building homes on pilings to auger 24" diameter x 5' holes for them and they turned me down saying they'll dig them by hand! And by hand they did. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-01-04          138467

EW, if that is the Allied you are talking about and my memory is correct Nationwide bought that company about 98 or so. Nationwide at that time was mainly east of the Miss. River and Allied mainly west of the river. I understand Nationwide gutted Allied. From having sold Nationwide for a while, I lost respect for them when I handled them proof they had an agent breaking the law (state, federal and securities) and they told him, "Don't do it again." There are some good people with Nationwide but that told me a lot about the CEO and top people for they were aware of the case. They were the ones who decided to not report it (by law they are suppose to report such) and tell him don't do it again.

There could be more to them not happy with you being there than the location. It could be they are not license in that state, it could be the distance you are from your "home base", it could be it should be handled by an office in that region. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2007-01-09          138606

I bought it new in 66.

Can't tell ....

View my Photos
greenmoose

2015-08-14          193350

mine is a '2000 JD 4300 and i have 3469 hours on it. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-08-24          193400

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmoose | view 193350
mine is a '2000 JD 4300 and i have 3469 hours on it.

You know that sounds like a lot of hours but only 233 per year or 4.5 per week. My B2710 kubota is little younger I think than that but may not be and it is less than 1,000. Might get it broke in this year. lol

Not tell me where in my neighboring state are any moose green or brown? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login