Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD5210-JD5310-or-Kubota-M6800

View my Photos
Wen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-02-01          12442

Looks like the JD5210 (45HP PTO)or JD5310 (55HP)have all the features I want in a tractor including adjustable links, sync transmission, adequate pto power, good tractor weight, diesel fill at rear, level loader with quick attach bucket, mid mount couplers, bale spear, and pallet forks. The Kubota folks recommend the M6800 (62HP PTO)as a better and more reliable alternate (with better warranty) to the John Deere and has the same features except for the level loader. I really can't find anyone that has experience with either tractor. The costs are about the same for the JD5310 or Kubota M6800 and a little less for the JD5210. All are 4WD tractors or can be bought in 2WD. I have never had a 4WD tractor and sure hope it is worth what it costs. My experience is with an older 45HP 2WD JD Tractor and a 42HP Massey MF245. I have never drove a Kubota (yet). All experiences, comments, and suggestions welcome as you don't get to buy a new tractor very often.This seems to be a little larger (but similar HP) than most compact tractors on this board. Is there a more appropriate board for the utility size tractors. These are awfully small for the big tractor agriculture board.If you want to respond direct: w5fl@flash.net

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-02-02          12454

I have found the CTB to be the best placed to get honest advice ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-02          12468

Wen, go ahead and get the 4wd. you won't regret it. Its particularly nice when you are going up or down on even a slight incline with a load in the bucket. 2wd will do the work, but 4wd makes it enjoyable. I like what I've seen of the 5000 series JDs. Haven't looked at the big Kubotas. ....

View my Photos
Walt

2000-05-29          16768

Wen, I didn't see your post untill today so if it isn't too late I have some advise. Buy the JD 5210 or 5310. I the only difference is the 5310 is turbocharged, the 5210 is not. Mine is a 5310 mfwd and I love it. I use it for spraying kudzu, road grading with a 7' grader blade, and some mowing. It also has a front end loader which I leave mounted all the time. The transmission is the full-sync. with a 3spd rear axel, 3fwd and 1 reverse gear transmission for a total of 9 fwd and 3 rvs speeds. The only thing I would do different is get the factory installed econo pto, which is a 2 spd pto that gives you 540 rpm pto speed at 1700 rpm when econo pto is engaged. Without the econo pto your rpms have to be 2400 to acheive 540 pto rpm. The econo pto will save you about 25% in fuel when doing work with light power requirements like mowing or spraying. ....

View my Photos
gregory

2000-12-17          22548

I purchased my first new tracter in mid june.i bought a 5205 J.D.I owned masseys and talked to them when i bought this one,they werent interested in dealing with me.felt like i wasnt rich enough to talk to them.I have two cousins that just 5310 J.D. and both were massey people.They felt the same way i did at massey.both live in different states so i know it wasnt the dealer.John deere was willing to work with us any way they had to to sell.we all are pleased and really like our J.D. and will never go back to massey.we all have driven ford,massey ,internationals and kabotas.would not change for any amount of money to another brand.definately get the econo pto if you do alot of mowing.5000 series J.D. are great . ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-17          22550

Are you saying that Massey wants more for their tractors than JD? This is going to make some of the JD marketing guys sad... :-) Also, did you try out any of the 4000 series? I'd be curious to hear what you thought about comparisons between the 4000 and 5000. ....

View my Photos
gregory

2000-12-19          22601

prices are about the same between massey and john deere.Massey needs to get some sales people that wont to sell tracters not give history lessons on their brands when they have already been told you have owned a specific model they are trying to tell you about,and then get ticked off and dont wont to do business with you.I also went on a massey dealer web site and enquired about a tracter i was told only dealers were supposed to use that site and got mad and told me to come to their dealer ship and they would be glad to assist me.rudeness never sold me anything.Onto the 4000 series tracters are good little tracters but pricey.they serve their purpose for desired use.I however needed a heaver tracter than the 4600 and 4700 for my purpose.They are still as good as the other series of J.D. tracter. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-19          22632

When the Kubota 5700 is actually as close to equal if not exceeding nearly all of the JD spec's on the 5310,and you can buy a 6800 for the same or close I don't think I would have any questions other than when can I get it! ....

View my Photos
By the Brook Farm

2000-12-19          22638

Stop reading specs and start driving tractors. JD 5000 series is tops! Will be trading in my JD4600 for a nice 5310 this spring. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-12-19          22639

Hmmm, kind of interesting. Don't know why Wen never came back and said what he bought, but if it's the only "Wen" I know of, he bought the Kubota M6800 and is tickled to death with it. ....

View my Photos
Wen

2000-12-19          22645

Yep, The 2000 year model M6800SD was chosen over the 5310 or 5410 for a variety of reasons. My primary use is agriculture and it is physically a very neat package. Small in physical dimensions with big front and rear tires (standard not optioned up as JD does)and comes fully equipped with everything including the adjustable 3 point links, fully sync transmission and column mounted sync shuttle lever. I only had to buy a two options and they were the quick connect kit for the loader and the Kubota Loader.

Not a single complaint. Everything is just where it should be and everything works exactly as I had expected. I first got the impression that Kubota was a light tractor, but with the front end loader, a Gannon 76 inch boxblade and filled tires (40% non toxic antifreeze), it is about 8500# or so. I have the rear wheels set to two adjustments out and the front set as wide as it will go and it fits nicely on my 18 ft 12,000# GVW trailer (with brakes on one axle).

The tractor is very maneuverable, turns sharp, and has tremendous traction (which is what is all about) with ground engaging implements. When you look up the horsepower for the tire size, Kubota hit the nail exactly on the head and it shows in the performance of the tractor. The loader fits perfectly and works just as well. It ran a little over $3000 less than the JD (and I had a dealer willing to cut prices to the bone on JD), but when you are paying $27000 for a tractor and loader, price probably wasn't the primary consideration.

I have answered all posts that came to my e-mail address, so hope I didn't fail to answer your question. ....

View my Photos
mike dewald

2000-12-20          22673

Wen: I own both a JD5300 and a Kubota 3710GST. Both are MFWD with loaders. The Kubota has R4 tires and the JD ag tires. I don't have personal experience with the Kubota M series. M series are not sold in my state (NE). NE requires Univ. of NE testing of all tractors over approx.45-50 hp. Since Agriculture rules in this state,(dominated by JD, Case/International, AGCO and NewHolland) it was not worth it for Kubota to undergo testing. I heard it costs about $15- 25,000 per model for the testing. Getting back to your question, the JD5310 is the newer version of my 5300. The 5300 is a great utility tractor esp. with the MFWD. Very solid and is the utility workhorse for our farm. 1500 hrs and little repair. MFWD is what makes all compact and utility tractor great and this is even more critical with a FEL. My only significant repair to the JD was replacing a pin in the front end. I was performing dirt removal of hard dry dirt with all wheels engaged, a heavy 1000LB blade on the back and rear tires filled with fluid. Normally, the loader can just lift the back end of the tractor without the blade on. When trying to lift and dig in hard dirt, this puts tremendous strain on the front end which now carries the weight of the tractor,loader and more. R4 tires will spin, but Ag tires with good traction and weight are too much stress. Luckily for me the pin sheared. $10 pin, $225 labor bill. JD utility tractors are all mechanical in the MFWD unlike large AG tractors which have a separate clutch for the front end. The clutch will slip if excessive force is applied, the mechanical will break. 3-4 different JD dealer all said this was the first repair of a MFWD on a utility tractor they had performed - says a lot for JD.

Kubota's on the otherhand are also a great tractor. My brother and I have both owned B7100 with over 3000 hrs combined and almost no repair other than miscellaneous items and maintenance. The 3710 is also following in that tradition. Overall, I believe Kubota is the most reliable tractor made and I have owned Ford, Allis, JD, and Case/International. You will be happy with either. The Kubota is more HP but unless you are doing serious lugging and implement work, the JD should be able to handle most tasks. I trailer my JD and 3710. I don't know the weight of the M6800 but that maybe excessive unless you have a very good trailer. Good luck in your decision. You will be satisfied with all three models. Get what suits you the best. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login