Go Bottom Go Bottom

3120 ehydro or 3320 Pwr Reverser

View my Photos
bigbouey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-03          122187

Hello to all, Thanks for the input on my previous questions. I am about to order my new Deere this coming weekend and I am still a little unsure which one I should get. I am debating between the 3120 ehydro and the 3320 Power Reverser. (About the same price) Will the 3120 have all the power I need for the loader and my 5ft. Woods Brush Bull. I have never used a loader before, can someone tell if the 3320 with the power reverser will be OK for this? I know the P/R will be OK for all of my other needs. The extra few HP on the 3320 is tempting, will I really notice the small difference? HP, Transmissions, to many questions for someone leaving an old 601 workmaster.
Thanks everyone,
David

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-01-03          122192

Bigbouey; I don't have any experience with the "20 Series" Deere tractors, but have lots of seat time on "10 Series" with power reversers, probably half of the total hours doing loader work. If I were to buy a new one today it would again be a power reverser, I just can't imagine anything being more comfortable to work with. I've demoed hydros but just never liked them as well, they just don't have the solid feeling of gears to me. I'm sure I'll be shot down by the hydro folks, but I'd take the extra power of the bigger tractor with the power reverser at the same cost in an eyeblink. Enjoy which ever you choose. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-01-03          122205

I'm with hardwood. I would also take the bigger/more HP tactor with the power reverser for the same cost of a lower HP hydro.. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-03          122207

I wouldn't hesitate to own either one but I do like the eHydro . One consideration you might have - who else will use this tractor? If your wife or kids use it you might like the ease of use of the hydro. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-04          122233

I own a 27HP CUT with hydro. There are a few instances that a few more HP would be nice like when using a single bottom plow. The JD e-hydro is nicer than mine because it will down shift under heavy loads like when you are ramming into a pile of dirt to strike a full bucket. With mine (3 range hydro), I'm in mid-range to get speed going to and away from a pile of dirt or stone. I need to manually downshift to low range to be able to strike a full bucket. (Mid-range don't have enough spunk). The hydro operation is really easy and versatile when mowing around objects.

If you have never driven a stick shift in a car or truck nor a tractor, a hydro may be better.

My next tractor more than likely will be a JD. If so, it will be a hard decision between the e-hydro and power reverser.

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-05          122281

I say to consider what your PRIMARY uses of the tractor will be. If mowing in basically straight lines, then the P/R will be fine. But if you need to mow around a bunch of obstacles like trees, outbuildings, etc, then the hydro would be more flexible.

If you are primarily doing heavier loader work, then the P/R may be better. I'm got a 4310 hydro and have not lacked for power with the loader. But the hydro is awesome for mowing. It's also easy for my wife to use and any guests I have. In fact, it's so nice easy, my guests often volunteer to mow for me.

Look at you application and then decide. Tight spaces - hydro. More open, hard implement work - P/R. ....

View my Photos
bigbouey

2006-01-05          122305

Thank you everyone, The more I hear the more I think I will go with the 3320 with the Ehydro. I still want every opinion out there, so keep em coming.

David ....

View my Photos
dsg

2006-01-05          122315

With the hydro you are always in the right gear. If you ever get an attachment that demands your attention then having a hydro is one less thing you have to worry about.

I have a JD 4700 hydro. I also have a grapple/rake on my loader. Doing exacting work with the grapple takes concentration and with a hydro I don't have to worry about shuttle shifting with a power reverser

With a hydro when you let up on the peddle (Forward or reverse) you stop even on uneven ground and can change directions with the touch of your foot. With a power reverser if you go into neutral you have to put your foot on the brake to stop (it's something you have to think about) not with a hydro.
Just MHO

David ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-06          122355

Yooper, you can't fill the bucket with what type of dirt and stone in middle range? I would find it hard to believe you couldn't. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-01-09          122467

Art:
RE: downshifting from mid-range to low-range to get my FEL bucket full struck in stone crete or hard clay soil. That is by driving staight into a pile and maintaining the loader height skimming just above the ground.

In mid-range, I usually can get it only about 3/4 struck before it begins to bogg down and run out of HP. At about that time the hydro has gotten fronts and back to slightly spin and that also poos out. I've always said my tractor could use about another 5 HP. Cadet replaced my 7275 model with 7305 which went from 27 to 30 HP. My neighbor traded in the 7275 (which I got) for the 7305 through our local dealer. He said the extra 3 HP did make a difference. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-01-09          122471

Hmmm... I was heavily torn between the 4310 and the 4410 when I was tractor shopping. I wanted the extra 3 hp, but couldn't justify the $$ the Deere dealership wanted. So far I haven't needed the extra hp, but I've had a few close ones where the extra 3 hp would have been nice. sigh... I couldn't justify $2k for 3 hp.

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-09          122478

It may make sense or not but going from 27 to 30 hp is not just a 3 hp increase, it is also a 10% increase. Humm.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login