Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4000 tire scuffing update

View my Photos
Jeff in NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-17          12030

Got verification from a JD dealer that the new 4000 series front axles are in production. I don't know all the models affected, but we were talking specifically about 4300 and 4400. I don't know when production started but JD DTAC (Dealer Technical Assistance Center) is sending him info about which serial numbers forward have the new axle. To any JD dealers or reps that might read this: is it possible to obtain and post these serial numbers? Anybody hear any more about replacement axles for affected machines? (I started a new thread on this topic because I was afraid of crashing my pc or the telephone network with the length of the previous one.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-01-21          12140

A JD dealer told me this morning that according to his JD sources the new axle design to fix the tire scuffing problem went into production on the 42/43/4400 on January 15. He also said a new axle design had previously (when?) been implemented on the 4500-4600 to address a different issue. He verified that JD will replace the front axles on 42/43/4400's that exhibit severe tire scuffing if the owner raises the issue with their dealer (squeeky wheel basis). ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-01-21          12146

When some one has a way to tell the new axle from the old one please post it.I just got a 4400 am not sure if it has the new axle or not,it has the new Hyd scv lock and a new handle for the scv(as to have more leg room to reach the reverse pedal)Maybe the ser. number would tell, maybe not.I'm happy with the tractor so far, it sure does turn sharp! It has good power I have a 6' blower on the back and it sure does work well, this summer I'm going to mount it on the front and run it with the mid PTO, it should'nt be to hard to slow the PTO from2100 to540 any way I had a 955 and this is realy a step up.I would have gotten a 45 or 4600 but I also mow my yard with this tractor and that would be to much .the fwd and rev pedals were greased but still a little sticky but more grease did the trick. the front tires are a little narrow for a turf tractor but you cant mount wider tires in the narrow pos. cause the tire rubs the steering cyl. but I think that I will try wider tires in the wide pos. the narrow pos. is not of much use to me. hope this anwsers some questions for some one. excuse my spelling in a hurry. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-01-21          12148

Ross, do your 4400 front tires scuff badly? I test drove 2 different 4400 HST's last weekend at two different dealers. The first one scuffed unacceptably in 2wd or 4wd, forward or reverse, fairly shallow turns. I also think it had been on the lot for awhile. The second unit I drove had just arrived the previous week and hardly scuffed at all even in sharp turns in 4wd. The surface was packed snow on asphalt so I was able to see any slippage that occurred. This second unit was certainly acceptable, met my expectations, and comparable to other 4wd tractor's behavior (with possible exception of NH super steer - never tried that one on packed snow). I'd be interested to see posts from other 42-43-4400 recent buyers to see if the situation is improving or not. ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-01-22          12162

I tried the turning on crusty packed snow,witch showed the tire tracks in full depth and there seemed to be no noticeable tire scuffing. I know it wasn't built before 12 11 becouse there is tags on the wiring dated after that.I'd like to see the four major brands compared in turning radius, I'm sure this one turns sharper than my 955 did. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-01-23          12178

Ross, sounds like you don't have scuffing problems. The 4400 I drove that scuffed would push that outside tire over an inch sideways to the tread even in 2wd. I don't exactly know how the brands would rank in turning radius, but I'd guess that the NH super steer boomers would dominate in the 25-33 hp category. ....

View my Photos
Lee Anderson

2000-01-30          12354

I have a 4200 that when I am using it to finish mow it makes a 3-4" scuffing mark when I turn fairly sharp. Is this the problem you are talking about? Should I contact my dealer about getting a new front axle? Also, what is the difference in the axles, in other words what did they do to correct the problem. ....

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-01-30          12358

Lee, sounds like you might have a scuffing problem. If you search on this board using the keyword "scuff" or read through the old John Deere posts, you will get a better idea of what others have experienced and if this is what you are seeing. I personally do not know the difference in the "new" axles, although it was posted either here or on tractorbynet that it was a steering geometry change. The difficult thing to assess is whether or not the scuffing you are seeing is unreasonable to expect from a relatively heavy 4 wheel drive tractor with a short wheelbase that has a very tight turning radius (JD 4200 description). What kind of tires do you have? How fast were you traveling? How tight were you turning? What were the ground conditions? How heavy is your tractor? etc., etc. Some of these are subjective questions that will lead to different expectations of how much scuffing is "normal" depending on your past experiences. I've test-driven 2 different 4400's on the same day where one scuffed unacceptably and the other I thought was acceptable. I'm sorry if I haven't answered your question directly, but you are the consumer who has to determine what is acceptable for your situation. ....

View my Photos
Lee Anderson

2000-01-30          12359

I have turf tires, as far as how fast I am moving I really could not tell you. All I can say is that I was in "B" range and at "mowing speed." I have pretty much come to the realization that I can only turn the tractor half as sharp as it is capable of when mowing (Which stinks because one of the reasons I bought the mower was for its sharp turning radius!) I am thinking that whether I truely have a "scuffing" problem or not I am going to try and get the new front axle installed. I will try and call my dealer tommorrow and see what they have to say! ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-12          12722

Does anyone know if this problem also affects the 4100 model? Also is it aproblem in 2wd or just 4wd? ....

View my Photos
Robert N. Hill

2000-02-12          12749

I have tried to make my 4100 scuff since first reading the posts for scuffing. The tractor just wont't scuff. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

2000-02-14          12788

Robert,
I feel that our 4100 does scuff, and have certainly had a need to use extreme caution while mowing at times. Hence, I would ask you to further explain the conditions under which you came to this conclusion. Secondly, I would also ask if you would be so kind as to report the amount of toe-in on the front wheels.
Mine reports about 2" of toe-in, which seems a bit much to me.. Thanks Robert. ....

View my Photos
Robert N. Hill

2000-02-14          12808

After reading all of the complaints about scuffing, but had not heard of any of the 4100's scuffing, and had not noticed any scuffing from my 4100; I decided to try mine on some very tender green winter grass. I made typical turns at a speed that I normally mow without hardly distrubing the grass. I finally sped-up and made as tight of a turn as I could in the same spot. The only result was that I flattened the grass. I don't know the exact toe-end, but I'm sure that it is at a minimum 2 inches. If you're using R4 tires, check the air pressure; because they will tend to roll-over a bit, too low and the bead will break and cause a flat. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login