Go Bottom Go Bottom

420 FEL not attached quite right

View my Photos
jdgreg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-26          116930

New member here, and thought I'd see if anyone has any input on this. Just acquired an '01 4210 with a 420 FEL. I noticed the bucket edge wasnt sitting quite level on the ground. Tractor tires are all same size, same air pressure, etc, and measurements were done in garage on level concrete floor. The left edge of the bucket (sitting on tractor) is slightly off the ground while the right edge is on the ground.

After a lot of looking, etc, it appears the culprit is the right FEL post (while sitting on tractor) "claw" that grabs onto the horizontal square tube, isnt snug. There is sufficient play here that looks to be causing the bucket offset. I took the FEL off and measured the distance between the "claw" fingers that go around the square tube,and the right is about 2.5 to 3mm larger than the left.

The tractor had 600 hrs on it when I got it, and doesnt appear abused. Short of replaceing the right loader post, anyone have any suggestions? I thought about taking the right post off the loader, and taking it and the tube to a welder to heat the claws and rebend them to fit. Could this have been a mfging defect?
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JDFANATIC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-26          116932

On my 210 loader I had the same issue and fixed it by adjusting the two 15MM bolts on the loader stand. Behind them the hole is slotted, so there is quite a bit of adjustment -- however -- you need to make sure the stand will still attach and detach, so it will take a little trial and error.

JDFANATIC ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-26          116934

I tried that, but it didnt seem to help the bucket offset, nor the way the right loader post sits on the square tube. I may need to fiddle with it some more. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-26          116935

Sounds like the previous owner sprung the loader by lifting too heavy of a load at the right corner. That is why, the left corner is high. If it is not too much out, can learn to live with it?

A weld shop should be able to fix it. They need to place the tractor on a level floor as stated with even tire pressures and begin measuring points on the loader. Once they confirm your suspicions, they can bend or shim it accordingly. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-26          116936

That's exactly what I was thinking, as the top of the rh (while sitting on the tractor) side of the bucket has a divet in it, looking exactly as you described.

It's not bad enough that I cant live with it, I'm mostly concerned about the effect when pushing snow. My driveways are all paved, and a little more down pressure will straighten it out. Just beeing a little anal I guess.

I'll talk to my JD shop and see what they recommend, also talk to my welding shop.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-26          116950

I have a similar issue on my 430 loader on the 4410. Mine is not nearly as pronounced as yours but I noticed it too. The previous owner may have tried to pry a rock just a bit too big out of the ground or something similar. This may seem a bit unconventional, but perhaps trying something like this on the opposite side of the bucket may spring things back to fairly close to the original form. Not sure if I would try this as it may just make things worse or damage the loader. I just live with it as it is barely noticable. I pay very close attention to how much the FEL flexes now when I pick up anything, especially when digging rocks out. If it appears to be too much; I just leave it alone and try using a chain and hook to pull the rock loose or try lightening the load if possible. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-09-26          116958

You can try lifting on the opposite side to even it back out. You run the risk of really getting it out of whack! That is why I'm a firm believer that bigger is better when it comes to tractors. It may be difficult to get the unit back square since it could have bent in several places. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-26          116959

I appreciate the replies. I dont think lifting on the other side is the right thing to do, just for the reasons stated. Plus, I've looked at this thing till I'm almost cross-eyed, and really feel it has to do with how loosely the right loader arm grips the square support tube. Now to figure out if it'll be worth fixing it, or live with it. :~/ ....

View my Photos
Brian Marchessault

2005-09-26          116975

I have had the same problem with my 4710, after speaking with my dealer (Giroux Bros) in NY, Matt McClain the head service manager informed me that JD knows about this problem and can provide a weld on kit. Once welded on the tractor and painted you hardly even notice it. If its not to severe you can loosen the post attached to the tractor and rotate it slighty to the front tire, if this deos not work you will have to install the kit. I hope this helps ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-09-27          116992

Awsome info!! I'll take this to my dealer and see if they know about this, and can get me the kit.
Many thanks. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-10-06          117467

Brian, my dealer knew nothing about such a weld on kit. Do you have a part number, or bulletin number, or something I could pass on them?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
Brian Marchessault

2005-10-06          117491

I don't have a part #. Try calling my dealer Giroux Bros 518-561-3682 in upstate NY, ask for Matt McClain he is the service manager who informed me on the fix. You may use my name if you like Brian Marchessault JD4710 E-hydro. They seem to be very knowledgeable and always return phone calls. He is uses this web site as well. hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
jdgreg

2005-10-17          117997

Brain, Thanks for the info. I called last week, Matt is out for the next 4 weeks due to a back injury. Talked to his backup, he didnt have a clue what I was looking for, but would email the info when he found out. Havent received anything yet. Since found online on parts catalog, the shim kit is actually for the front of the mast supports, where the support that latches to the front of the tractor bolts up.

I made my own shims, as a temp measure till this spring. They really tighten up the mast. When I pull the FEL to start mowing, I'll pull the mast apart and the square tube support, and take them both to my welder to build up the metal on the mast so it fits the tube snug. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login